Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Soon to try a FreeUp 4G LTE SIM: Cheapest new smartphone that will work with it?

Feedback Score
    I guess it wasn't meant to be. The Walmart where my wife was located was sold out, and I couldn't get a Moto E4 from any Walmart around here. I was willing to drive 50 miles to a Walmart that BS said had 2 in stock, but I called first and the Walmart Associate I spoke with said their inventory was wrong -- after she physically checked stock and learned that they had none.

Meanwhile I received my FreeUp SIM, so I'm still looking for an unlocked or AT&T phone, preferably new. I suppose there's always some company putting another old-generation phone on clearance, or eBay.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    I guess it wasn't meant to be. The Walmart where my wife was located was sold out, and I couldn't get a Moto E4 from any Walmart around here. I was willing to drive 50 miles to a Walmart that BS said had 2 in stock, but I called first and the Walmart Associate I spoke with said their inventory was wrong -- after she physically checked stock and learned that they had none.

Meanwhile I received my FreeUp SIM, so I'm still looking for an unlocked or AT&T phone, preferably new. I suppose there's always some company putting another old-generation phone on clearance, or eBay.
    If you're still interested in trying to get a Moto E4 XT1768, since you weren't able to get one from Walmart for $30, you could also check your local Target stores, where you might be able to find one for $38.98, which is still a pretty good price. https://brickseek.com/target-invento...ku=080-06-1723

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The LG Phoenix 4 is still available at Fry's for 39.99.

https://www.frys.com/product/9698473

And Best Buy
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-lg-p...?skuId=6292036
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    For the “free” plan how much crap do you have to listen to, watch, or do surveys for?

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    For the “free” plan how much crap do you have to listen to, watch, or do surveys for?
    Nothing at all for the completely free plan.

There is no data, just 1000 minutes or texts per month. You do have to log on to your account during the last week of each monthly period and select the free plan for the next month.

Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    If you're on the free plan and you want to add some data occasionally by doing some surveys or coupon printing, do you actually have to switch plans or can you just add some data?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    If you're on the free plan and you want to add some data occasionally by doing some surveys or coupon printing, do you actually have to switch plans or can you just add some data?
    My understanding is that you must switch plans.

Feedback Score
    Soon after I started this thread I got all excited to learn that the Moto e4 is an awesome phone and Walmart was clearing them out for only $30 ... and they were *unlocked*! Then got disappointed because there were none available in any Walmart's near me.

I did not settle for Best Buy's 16gb AT&T-locked LG Phoenix 4 for $39.99 even though I strongly considered it (and by the way, it's still on sale at this price) ... because if I were going to spend $40 I would hope to wait until an *unlocked* 4G LTE phone goes on sale in thee $40 price range (not sure this is even possible?)

Fast forward to today:

I just learned that Best Buy put their 16gb AT&T-locked Alcatel TETRA smartphones on sale for $24.99 (model 5041C). At Best Buy this phone has an overall 4.2 star rating vs. the LG's 4.3 star rating, so theoretically this phone make its owners almost as happy as those who own the LG Phoenix 4 -- and it costs $15 less.

Would this be a decent phone to use with the FreeUp 4G LTE SIM I bought a couple weeks ago? Or is this phone a piece of crap and not even worth considering?

Or should I just wait for a sale on an *unlocked* smartphone at this price level?

Feedback Score
    I paid $123 for the unlocked Moto e4 from bestbuy.com last year so $30 would be an amazing price. Also the unlocked moto e4 is a universal phone where most cheap unlocked phones are gsm only. And the moto e4 is a really good phone. I would buy more if I could get one for $30.

Feedback Score
    Every store I have found that actually still has the Moto E4 in stock is asking more than $100 for the factory-unlocked version. Some places have ones that are locked to specific carriers, but they still sell for $70, more or less, and they also require at least a 6 month contract before they can be carrier-unlocked.

Since it's not likely that factory-unlocked Moto E4's will ever be $30 again, I'm looking for other phones now. My understanding is that any factory-unlocked GSM phone that supports 4G LTE, and any AT&T carrier-unlocked 4G LTE phone, will work on FreeUp. I'm not sure how this Alcatel TETRA 5041C compares with other FreeUp-compatible phones, but for $25 its one of the lowest priced 4G LTE smartphones I've seen in the past month or so.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Every store I have found that actually still has the Moto E4 in stock is asking more than $100 for the factory-unlocked version. Some places have ones that are locked to specific carriers, but they still sell for $70, more or less, and they also require at least a 6 month contract before they can be carrier-unlocked.

Since it's not likely that factory-unlocked Moto E4's will ever be $30 again, I'm looking for other phones now. My understanding is that any factory-unlocked GSM phone that supports 4G LTE, and any AT&T carrier-unlocked 4G LTE phone, will work on FreeUp. I'm not sure how this Alcatel TETRA 5041C compares with other FreeUp-compatible phones, but for $25 its one of the lowest priced 4G LTE smartphones I've seen in the past month or so.
    Yes, that's true with the $30 Moto E4 XT1768 "YMMV" Walmart deal that I posted about in a couple of places on HoFo and also on SD. But if you can find one, it's worth every bit of $30 for a very solid unlocked universal phone that can be used on any US and most worldwide networks.

I only switched to the $30 Moto E4 XT1768 from my LG Phoenix 2 that I got for $29.99 on Black Friday, 2016, and used full time from March, 2017, until May, 2019, for the Moto E4's fingerprint scanner, front camera flash, and better LTE band and network support.

The LG Phoenix 2 is a very good phone for most GSM networks (AT&T was still providing free unlock codes when I got mine) that even has NFC support. I don't think the LG Phoenix 4 has NFC support, but it should still be a pretty good phone, if it's even close to being as good as the Phoneix 2.

The Alcatel TETRA has a pretty poor 2.0/5 rating from 23 reviews at https://www.att.com/buy/prepaid-phon...k-prepaid.html, which is quite a contrast to the 4.2/5 rating from 89 reviews at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-pr...?skuId=6292047.

The LG Phoenix 4 has a 4.2/5 rating from 16 reviews at https://www.att.com/buy/prepaid-phon...sku=sku9230292, which is closer to the 4.4/5 rating from 161 reviews at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-pr...?skuId=6292036.

I've never had an Alcatel phone, but based on the solid performance of my LG Phoenix 2 and the poor reviews of the Alcatel TETRA on the AT&T website, between those two, I'd lean toward the LG Phoenix 4 for only $15 more.

But that's just my opinion...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ...I've never had an Alcatel phone, but based on the solid performance of my LG Phoenix 2 and the poor reviews of the Alcatel TETRA on the AT&T website, between those two, I'd lean toward the LG Phoenix 4 for only $15 more.
    I tried a low-end Alcatel AT&T Prepaid phone a couple of years ago - the Alcatel Ideal for $30. It is a total piece of junk. It is slow, unresponsive to touch and freezes. I would never consider another low-end Alcatel.

I also have the Phoenix 2. It's pretty good for a $30 phone. I use it every day. The Phoenix 4 is two generations newer, but not two generations better. They dumbed down the specs a bit from the Phoenix 2. It should still be ok for the cheapest ok phone to buy.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Just hit Best Buy for the $25 Alcatel - seems to work fine on FreeUp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3