Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Truphone thread 2019

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score

2019 Truphone thread 2019

Well, it's late April and we've just had the first 2019 Truphone posts. I guess that means all is working well!

At the end of the 2018 thread, we were discussing whether Truphone numbers showed as cell for SMS purposes. When I look at my numbers at the website...

https://freecarrierlookup.com/

...none of the Truphone numbers show as cell. One of my numbers started off as a cell, one started off as a land line, became a cell, then went to VOIP. Neither of them show as cell. But my cell numbers do.

So it looks like if you need a number to show up as a cell phone, Truphone may be problematic.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Well, it's late April and we've just had the first 2019 Truphone posts. I guess that means all is working well!

At the end of the 2018 thread, we were discussing whether Truphone numbers showed as cell for SMS purposes. When I look at my numbers at the website...

https://freecarrierlookup.com/

...none of the Truphone numbers show as cell. One of my numbers started off as a cell, one started off as a land line, became a cell, then went to VOIP. Neither of them show as cell. But my cell numbers do.

So it looks like if you need a number to show up as a cell phone, Truphone may be problematic.
    All providers like truephone. Will show up as landline/voip and no other. Remember voip does support sms and mms.

What they show up as doesn’t really mean much. Say if you transferred a landline number to a cell phone it might take years before that’s even updated to show as a cell phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    My reply from the 2018 thread, https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ne-thread-2018:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    My Truphone # also doesn't appear as wireless, but it doesn't appear as VoIP, either.

If I put my Truphone # into https://freecarrierlookup.com/, it comes back as:
    Carrier: Level 3 Communications, LLC
    Is Wireless: n

If that's how your Truphone # appears, too, you probably won't be able to use it for receiving a text verification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    All providers like truephone. Will show up as landline/voip and no other. Remember voip does support sms and mms.

What they show up as doesn’t really mean much. Say if you transferred a landline number to a cell phone it might take years before that’s even updated to show as a cell phone
    Interesting. It must vary.

When I ported my old home phone # to GV, it was updated at the link I provided above very quickly to:

Carrier: Bandwidth.com
    Is Wireless: n

Feedback Score
    All providers like truephone. Will show up as landline/voip and no other. Remember voip does support sms and mms....
    MMS is true for VOIP in general. Truephone, in particular, does not do MMS.

Feedback Score
    I'd had Truphone switch my RingPlus number into my Truphone.

I initially had a number that Truphone assigned to me when I first got Truphone.

I really liked the RingPlus number.
    It had a very nice cadence to it.

It just rolled off the tongue when saying it.
    Kind of a sing-song.

When I first saw it I instantly remembered it.

When I look the Truphone number up it shows as a Voip number.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score

It does matter. If you want to use your Truphone number to sign up for services that require a real cell phone number, the sign up process will fail. I had that happen when I tried to use my Truphone number to sign up for Venmo last month.

Feedback Score
    I am confused by the prices displayed on the Truphone website.

From the UK to the UK, US to the US, Spain to Spain, etc. . . (the home countries):
    Outgoing phone calls are .06 per minute and data is .06 per MB when billed in pounds sterling, .07 when billed in Euro and .09 when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars. There is no charge for incoming calls or texts. That approximately represents the current exchange rates except that the U.S. dollar cost is slightly overpriced and the Australian Dollar cost is significantly underpriced.

From Italy to Italy or From France to France:
    Outgoing phone calls are .06 per minute and data is .06 per MB when billed in pounds sterling, .07 when billed in Euro. Incoming phone calls and texts are not charged. However, in U.S. Dollars outgoing phone calls are .25 per minute, data is .25 per MB. Incoming phone calls are .08 per minute in dollars. That is different from the foreign exchange rate differences.

Why is there a difference from the exchange rate when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars, but not in Sterling or in Euro?

Why are incoming calls charged when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars, but not in Sterling or in Euro?

Why is the MB rate for internet higher when billed in Australian Dollars or in U.S. Dollars?

Therefore, I should open an account with a U.S. phone number but have my credit card billed in British pounds. Is that correct? Will I be allowed to do that?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stususs View Post
    Therefore, I should open an account with a U.S. phone number but have my credit card billed in British pounds. Is that correct? Will I be allowed to do that?
    From my past experience using them, it will use the currency of the location you use to purchase the SIM (or activate the account if you are trying to do an eSIM solution). They operate similar to a multi-national brand such as Vodafone, in that they operate different stores depending on the country. They just allow people to get additional phone numbers due to its service’s VoIP-like nature.

So likely you would need to use a UK-purchased SIM/account to be billed in GBP. Same for AUD or USD.

Also depending on your card, there could be additional transaction fees for being used in a different country or currency.

As for the rates themselves: I think the airtime rates are locked in by short term contracts rather than by direct exchange rate conversion from GBP. I recall getting emails from Truphone about various changes in airtime rates and they had specific effective dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stususs View Post
    I am confused by the prices displayed on the Truphone website.

From the UK to the UK, US to the US, Spain to Spain, etc. . . (the home countries):
    Outgoing phone calls are .06 per minute and data is .06 per MB when billed in pounds sterling, .07 when billed in Euro and .09 when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars. There is no charge for incoming calls or texts. That approximately represents the current exchange rates except that the U.S. dollar cost is slightly overpriced and the Australian Dollar cost is significantly underpriced.

From Italy to Italy or From France to France:
    Outgoing phone calls are .06 per minute and data is .06 per MB when billed in pounds sterling, .07 when billed in Euro. Incoming phone calls and texts are not charged. However, in U.S. Dollars outgoing phone calls are .25 per minute, data is .25 per MB. Incoming phone calls are .08 per minute in dollars. That is different from the foreign exchange rate differences.

Why is there a difference from the exchange rate when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars, but not in Sterling or in Euro?

Why are incoming calls charged when billed in U.S. dollars or Australian Dollars, but not in Sterling or in Euro?

Why is the MB rate for internet higher when billed in Australian Dollars or in U.S. Dollars?

Different currencies, different markets. The EU roaming law that went into effect in 2017 basically abolished roaming charges within the EU. I'm assuming that Truphone had to respond to this by adjusting their prices within Europe, as otherwise it would make no sense for someone in the UK to buy a Truphone SIM for use elsewhere in Europe, because any regular UK SIM would get a better rate (and even with the lower prices, Truphone is less appealing now within Europe due to the new EU laws). The US is a different market though, and Truphone probably rightly assumes that most Americans wouldn't know about the EU roaming laws, and thus opted to keep charging US customers the old, higher rates within Europe.

You could have the best of both worlds by getting a UK Truphone SIM and adding a US number, but then you'll have to pay 5£/month for that. You'd be better off getting a SIM from whatever EU country, adding a cheap data plan, then using the Google Voice app for a virtual US number on your smartphone. (Note: You can only sign up for a Google Voice account from a US IP address, so do it while you're in the US.)

Feedback Score
    Does Truphone - or will Truphone - support VoLTE on AT&T in the U.S. since AT&T is ending activation of 3G devices in February, and will end its 3G network in the near future?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    Does Truphone - or will Truphone - support VoLTE on AT&T in the U.S. since AT&T is ending activation of 3G devices in February, and will end its 3G network in the near future?
    There is no such thing as "Activation 3G devices" in GSM word. Indeed, AT&T will not sell AT&T branded non-VoLTE devices (3G and 4G LTE without VoLTE support), but you still will be able to insert your Truephone SIM (and AT&T SIM) to any 3G phone in USA with Band 850 MHZ and it will register in 3G AT&T network until April 2022 (sunset of 3G by AT&T) at least for voice calls.

Just remember: VoLTE roaming is not implemented yet by majority of operators in the world (it should change until 2022).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    There is no such thing as "Activation 3G devices" in GSM word. Indeed, AT&T will not sell AT&T branded non-VoLTE devices (3G and 4G LTE without VoLTE support), but you still will be able to insert your Truephone SIM (and AT&T SIM) to any 3G phone in USA with Band 850 MHZ and it will register in 3G AT&T network until April 2022 (sunset of 3G by AT&T) at least for voice calls.

Just remember: VoLTE roaming is not implemented yet by majority of operators in the world (it should change until 2022).
    The quote I read (which could be totally wrong) was: "AT&T's plans to end activation on devices that do not support VoLTE or HD Voice after January 1, 2020."

Device(s)
    LG Google Nexus 5x, Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Ultra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    The quote I read (which could be totally wrong) was: "AT&T's plans to end activation on devices that do not support VoLTE or HD Voice after January 1, 2020."
    That would make sense because AT&T would not want to activate phones that do not support the technology well before the end of 3G. Allowing for ample notice for those using such devices and denying any additional on. Imagine the angry people if allowed to activation within days or months.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    That would make sense because AT&T would not want to activate phones that do not support the technology well before the end of 3G. Allowing for ample notice for those using such devices and denying any additional on. Imagine the angry people if allowed to activation within days or months.
    Only problem with that as stated above. There's. No activation when it comes to GSM networks. Now in an actual att store they might refuse to activate it if your making a new line or moving to them. But that's not gonna stop you from swapping the sim into the device and using it after leaving the store.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast