Thread: Can I port my number with a zero balance??

Feedback Score

Can I port my number with a zero balance??

Just wondering if I can port out my number if I have a zero balance? I'm within 30 days of my balance going to zero. If the answer is yes, what info do I need to port?

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    No. MVNOs require the number to be active in order to port. And active means that it has a balance, not simply that the plan has not expired.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I would say, yes now while you have a balance. Once zero, then Maybe. The rules look like your number is held by them, and you have a right to port it without charge. Even when you have a zero balance doesn't mean your account is closed.

You will need the account PIN, it was probably a text when you activated. If they have a support chat that would be where I would try to get a PIN reset if I needed one. You may need the account number which may or may not be the phone number. Sometime the pin is the last four of the sim number, sometimes it is all zeros or random.

I would submit the port at a new wireless provider and stay on it with the new support department. If the port fails, get both involved to find the failure reason. If they refuse the port or it's failed twice and more than 10 days have gone by since you requested the port, I would file an FCC complaint, doesn't cost a dime.

The forums here for wherever you decide to port into will have folks who can give advice also if it's looking like it's a stuck port.

It's worth a shot, I would say, but don't wait. Another option is to give them one more recharge and then port out.
    Last edited by Vertabrae; 04-27-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Typos and clarity

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    A PS, https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...find-your.html says to

"call the H2O Port-Out Hotline at 1-800-562-3229 and ask them to release your number for porting and tell you your account # and PIN. They will ask you to provide the 3 most recent outgoing calls to verify that it's your number."

(Thanks, Yeswap!)