Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hello Mobile

Feedback Score
    Just remember: because of security bug in this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....qlink.myqlink

everybody who knows your HelloMobile number can get following info about you:

First and Last Name
    Home address
    History of your phone calls (from/to)
    History of your text messages (from/to)
    HelloMobile account number (used for porting)
    Email

Last time I informed HelloMobile and app developer about this bug in January (or February) 2021 but it is not fixed yet.

Attacker just need to install this app on any android phone (without HelloMobile SIM, even without SIM at all), to enter HM number into input field and that's all. No password asked.

Please send emails to [email protected] and [email protected] asking to fix the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post

First and Last Name
    Home address
    Email

Last time I informed HelloMobile and app developer about this bug in January (or February) 2021 but it is not fixed yet.

Attacker just need to install this app on any android phone (without HelloMobile SIM, even without SIM at all), to enter HM number into input field and that's all. No password asked.

Please send emails to [email protected] and [email protected] asking to fix the issue.
    Wow, that company is sketch all-around.

Feedback Score
    Just being curious; how do we know or not know if other cellular services apps also contain big security and privacy risks? I do not use any such apps. I do my transactions online with regular computers only.

Further I wonder if one is at more or not more risk in having an online account with cell carrier or just pays his bill "As A Guest"?

(Maybe this is less specific to Hello Mobile, and should become a new topic.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Just being curious; how do we know or not know if other cellular services apps also contain big security and privacy risks? I do not use any such apps. I do my transactions online with regular computers only.
    You do not have to use this app at all! Give me your HelloMobile number, I will install this app on my Android phone and I will get all the data about you! No password of SIM card required

I suspect in the past, when HM was CDMA operator, there was IMEI or ICCID check inside the app (SIM was bound to phone).

But in GSM world, there is no IMEI check (you can insert your SIM to any compatible phone), so, developers just disabled IMEI/ICCID validation and the result is not good. It is just my assumption.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So if the e-mail I got this morning says anything, it looks like they are ending the contract with PWG.

For reference, both my husband and myself are using T-Mobile/PWG SIMs on Hello Mobile and I got the following email:

Your Upgraded SIM Card is Headed Your Way
    Faster Speeds. Wider Coverage. Same Low Prices.
    📷 Are you ready?

Exciting things are happening at Hello Mobile. We’ve upgraded to America’s largest 5G network so you will enjoy faster speeds and wider coverage.

Imagine access to billions of dollars in network upgrades at no added cost! And the only thing you have to do, is swap out your old SIM Card with your new upgraded SIM Card. That’s it.

We’ll send your SIM Card kit out very shortly and we’ll send you an email with tracking details as soon as it’s been shipped.

See how easy it is to change your SIM Card

In the meantime, here is a video on how to change your SIM Card. We’ve also included some frequently asked questions you may have.

📷

SIM Card Upgrades:
    Your Questions Answered What upgrades were made to the network?
    Our network is now faster & more expansive than ever as we are now on T-Mobile’s 5G network. This means you’re getting the same quality service across the nation, but at no cost to you.

Why do I need to upgrade?
    Since we upgraded our network, your SIM Card needs an upgraded too! This means your current SIM Card will no longer be compatible, which is why we’re sending you a new one that accesses all our upgraded features.

Will my phone work with the upgraded SIM Card?
    In most cases, yes! Your new SIM Card will connect your phone to our upgraded network after swapping out your current one. However, if your phone is experiencing trouble connecting just give our direct-to-agent line a call at 1(888) 305 -7678 and they will certainly help you get connected.
    Are plans going to get more expensive?
    Not at all! Faster speeds, wider coverage and an overall better connection comes at absolutely no cost you. There’s no extra fees associated with this upgrade.

Can I keep my phone number?
    Of course! We know how important keeping your phone number can be, so we’ve made sure customers can keep their current numbers on our upgraded network. Your current number will be immediately transferred to your new SIM Card once it’s been activated. This means you’ll always be connected!

Will I keep my contacts and Data on my phone?
    Yes! Your new SIM Card won’t change any saved settings on your phone, except your upgraded service.

It looks like PWG and Sprint SIMs are now being replaced with wholesale SIMs.

Has anyone else with a PWG SIM gotten this notice or a new SIM card yet?
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    What does PWG stand for? I remember seeing this abbreviation in use for APN settings (carrier other than "Hello Mobile"), and I tried an internet search but the information was either not clear or did not say exactly.

Feedback Score
    What does PWG stand for? I remember seeing this abbreviation in use for APN settings (carrier other than "Hello Mobile"), and I tried an internet search but the information was either not clear or did not say exactly.
    prepaid wireless group?

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    PWG is Prepaid Wireless Group.

They offer mvne/mvno contracts to let MVNOs quickly setup for service using T-mobile as the parent network.

From what I'm gathering, HM had an original contract with Sprint as their primary parent network and PWG as a backup network for areas without sprint coverage.

After the merger, they started to allow anyone bringing a non-sprint device over by sending out pwg sim cards, eventually they began selling their own "GSM" devices with pwg sims until they finalized the wholesale agreement directly from T-Mobile.

They continued to send out PWG SIMs alongside the new wholesale SIMs for a while, but now it looks like they intend to replace all Sprint and PWG SIMs with the new wholesale SIMs from T-Mobile (which is using a newer MNC) so they can let the PWG contract expire.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

First and Last Name
    Home address
    Email

HelloMobile finally fixed this problem today (April 9, 2021).

HelloMobile did server side change (not app change) and disabled this app completely. You can not login now even with your own phone number (the error "Phone number does not exist in our system" or something like this). Existing users were kicked out of their accounts within the app (you still can use web access using browser).

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    HelloMobile finally fixed this problem today (April 9, 2021).

HelloMobile did server side change (not app change) and disabled this app completely. You can not login now even with your own phone number (the error "Phone number does not exist in our system" or something like this). Existing users were kicked out of their accounts within the app (you still can use web access using browser).
    I wonder if the fix is only temporary while they ship all of us with Sprint/PWG SIMs the new HM Wholesale SIMs.

Like once the new SIMs are sent and the accounts are all migrated over, will they re-enable this app to be used on devices and will it begin requiring a password.

Anyone already on the new Wholesale (MNC 260) SIMs on here?
    If so, can you login to the app at all?

Reason I wonder if its only temporary is because the "Activate" page on Hello Mobile still pushes you to install the App.
    (Not like it worked for me, was giving me my husband's usage even when I logged in using my own phone number.)

Feedback Score
    I received new SIM with new number. Currently I have two working SIMs(old and new) with different number. How do U put new SIM into my account and preserve old phone number!

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I received new SIM with new number. Currently I have two working SIMs(old and new) with different number. How do U put new SIM into my account and preserve old phone number!
    We have an active thread on reddit all about this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hellomobile...m_source=share

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So the new sims are coming with random ported temporary numbers.

You will get failed port notices since these temporary numbers are already tied to an inactive zero balance account on hm. They are doing this so that you don't lose service while waiting for the new sims.

Old sims will continue to work until they move your current numbers to the new sims.

With that in mind, if you cannot call the activation line and get your current number tied to the new sim, continue to use old sims.

May need to attempt this every day till complete or contact their csrs.

If you cannot get your current number on the new sims, the number seems to be tied to some placeholder account that has no balance on it. (Bill not paid / "bill past due" when trying to call out.)

Data works even in this state on the new sims, but with much lower speeds.

Calls cannot be placed (sends you to bill payment) unless they've already started the process on their end to activate the sims and let you reclaim your number.

Apparently, there's also a time frame when they will automatically move your number to the new sims - so old sims will continue to work until that happens.

Do not install or begin attempting to activate new sims until you get the email telling you to do so. They send out this email after they have begun the process, and calling the activation 800# after getting the email should ask if you want your current number back or if you want to keep the new number. (Or so I've read.)

If the 877 activation number doesn't give you the option to keep your current number after the email, use your old sim and contact hr csr.

It is safe to assume there will be no need to switch to the new sims until your current sims stop working. The service cutoff should indicate that your number was moved to the new sim.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Update regarding the new SIMs

So I just finished another chat with a CSR regarding the the new SIMs.

According to them, the migration of your number should happen automatically once the system has seen any use on the new SIMs, so it's best to put all the SIM's in a device and at least try to call the activation line at least once. (Put some usage onto the SIM, data will work even if calls do not, so run some data too - like a speed test.) They also said they cannot manually move the numbers to the new SIM, the process is completely automated.

For those with multiple lines. Pull the SIMs from the package while taking notes.

Note which SIM came from which tracking number, if you have access to the tracking numbers from your Lines page on your account online - use that to determine which SIM goes to which phone number. (If you have small baggies, might want to write the phones numbers onto a baggie and put the corresponding SIM into that to help keep track.)

Note, according to them the activation process will take 24 business hours AFTER you received your SIMs, so if you receive the SIM's Friday-Sunday, the process won't start until Tuesday the following week. Until then, current SIMs should continue to work.

Also, ignore all the number port requests, those are temporary numbers on a zero balance "holding" account. (Phone calls should direct you to the HM Payment line for "account past due" on those numbers.)

Make sure you start this process with the FIRST line as it is listed on your account online. (This line will connect to the activation system for the first call at the very least, even if you get "past due balance" for any calls thereafter.)

So, here's what you should do when you receive the SIMs:

1. Take note of the tracking numbers before opening and compare to Tracking on the Lines page on your online account. (To determine which SIM is for which line.)

2. Grab some small baggies and write phone numbers on them. (Or write the phone numbers onto a piece of paper corresponding to each Tracking Number. You could also put the small baggie with the SIM inside it back inside the envelope with the tracking number.)

3. Remove each SIM card and place into correct baggie. (Or write the SIM card number - or last 8 digits of SIM next to the corresponding phone number based on the tracking number.)

4. Insert each SIM card into a phone (since they all should come with an adapter kit, sizing shouldn't matter too much if using a different phone than the one intended.)

5. Follow Steps 2 and 3 on the SIM kit to "activate" the SIM. Complete with calling the 877 activation line.

6. If all works and it lets you transfer your existing number, put the SIM into the correct phone if it is already not in the correct line.

7. Run a speed test or load a web page with wifi turned off. (Using cellular data)

8. If calling the activation line fails for any reason (including the "past due" message) remove the SIM and store in in those baggies for each respective line. (or somewhere safe) and keep your notes safe too. (Can keep the SIMs in these baggies when not following these steps.)

9. If you need to remove the SIM, go back to your old SIM and wait at least 24 business hours.

10. If waiting, try again in 24 business hours. (Business hours are Monday-Friday)

11. If you repeat the steps on a weekday and it fails a second or third time, you may then be safe to return to using the old SIMs and waiting until the system transfers the number over and cuts service to the old SIMs. (I'd opt for trying 3 times and following all steps, including the data usage step to make sure the system catches the SIM being used before going back to old SIMs and waiting for service to be cut off.)

While I am suggesting in the steps to wait till they cut off your old SIMs, I would still attempt this process at least once a week while waiting. Though here's to hoping you are not sitting on the new SIMs like this for longer than a week.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 04-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    What is the MNC of the new SIMs? Is it 240 or 260?

I tried their service a couple months ago but ended up dropping it because they didn’t support conditional call forwarding (and their tech support was extremely confused trying to help me, insisting that it should work but it didn’t). At the time the new SIM they sent me was 240. If they are now sending out MNC260 then forwarding might now actually work.

The MNC is the 5th through the 7th digits of the SIM number.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast