Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selecting Bands on the Nighthawk

Feedback Score

Selecting Bands on the Nighthawk

This link popped up in my reddit feed last week, finally got around to playing with it. Works on my version 1 haven't tried on my version 2.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/enable-manual-...etgear-mr1100/

Does anyone know the Nighthawk's extended command password?

AT!ENTERCND="?"

Update

Works on version 2. Was even able to select band 14. Bands 2,12 and 14 work best in my area. I normally get stuck on band 30. Nice being able to switch bands now.
    Last edited by gedster314; 04-27-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    This link popped up in my reddit feed last week, finally got around to playing with it. Works on my version 1 haven't tried on my version 2.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/enable-manual-...etgear-mr1100/

Does anyone know the Nighthawk's extended command password?

AT!ENTERCND="?"

Update

Works on version 2. Was even able to select band 14. Bands 2,12 and 14 work best in my area. I normally get stuck on band 30. Nice being able to switch bands now.
    Thumbs up thanks.

Seems version 2 is MUCH better. What else can it do that version 1 can not?

Feedback Score
    Version 1 shows the same list of bands as version 2 but band 14 will not work on it. Bands 4,5 and 66 show up as having a red signal indicator and don't work. Don't know if its a bug, not available or ATT is denying access at the tower. Also I noticed that when I enterd band mask 10 and rebooted the router locked up, no web gui and no display on the display but still had telnet access. When I zeroed out band mask 10 and rebooted all was fine again. So we have more enteries than the instructions but we do have a limit.

Oh when entering band 66 you need to add the third column.

AT!BAND=09,"LTE B66",0,0,2

Feedback Score

Selecting Bands On The Nighthawk

Great information. I may have to try this.

Feedback Score
    Can you lock into a band without usb or does it have to be connected via usb? Also can it be connected to a router by usb and still have the same functionality as being connected directly to a pc?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    You have to be connected with USB to set it up. Telnet can only be accessed from usb. Once you have created your selections you do not need USB anymore. You just make your band selection through the GUI. Your band selection applys to USB, wifi and Ethernet. Your mod will stick until you do a factory default reset.

Feedback Score
    So I can use all cmds and get ok once used but after reset I still only have the same options. This is using the att GUI

Feedback Score
    Once you type the commands they remain. You can then go into the GUI advanced/cellular. The band selection will show what you added. You can power off and reboot and you will still have the options to select the bands you programmer or any of the default settings, as long as you didn't over write the default settings.

If you you select restore default settings from the GUI or push the factory reset button in the battery box, your router goes back to factory defaults and you lose the settings you typed. You will need to redo the mode.

Also, if you have an original first gen nighthawk without band 14, you will not get band 14 with this mod. It will show up but your router can't connect to it.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I’ve been able to do is wipe out lte all, but have not been able to add anything. When I type the cmds I get an ok but nothing adds to the GUI for some reason. I tried both this write up and one for the US with these commands (about 3-4 posts down on the Reddit post) https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red..._locking_help/ and neither has been able to add anything to the GUI even thought the commands all say ok once entered. My nighthawk is not unlocked would that be the problem ?

Feedback Score
    My version one was unlocked when I did it and had no issues. My version two was locked and had no issues. Are you rebooting after you do the mod? The gui may only update the changes at startup. Not sure how you could be wiping out LTE unless you are writing over the default entries.

Do a reset to factory defaults in the GUI.

Once booted telnet in. enter this:
    at!BAND=03,"LTE B14",0,2000
    reboot and take a look at the band selection in the gui.

the 03 in the above command is the index. If you put 00 there, you just wrote over your Auto setting. If you put 01 you wrote over WCDMA ALL, If you put 02 you wrote over LTE ALL. You want to use 03-08, thats all the index slots available.

The stuff in quotes "whatever" is what you want the setting to be called.

The first number after the "" is where you enter CDMA bands, after that comma is LTE bands, after that put a comma and you can add extended LTE (band 66).

Lets say you want a setting with bands 30,14,12,2. Band 30=20000000, Band 14=2000, Band 12=800, Band 2=2.
    at!BAND=04,"Local Bands",0,20002802

The AT!BAND=? shows what is available. Look where it lists the Bands and then series of numbers. Compare those with the 20002802 I used to add bands 2,12,14,30. You should be able to see how I added the bands together to come up with that number.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks I’ll try starting from scratch and see if it goes any better.

Feedback Score
    Yep definitely needed this dumbed down - think I was trying to put all the zeros as well but not sure why it wouldn’t have still taken it. Is it already roaming as I’m checking all towers near me? Didn’t get any other bands than what I was getting previously so just wondering

Feedback Score

Selecting Bands on the Nighthawk

Looks like I get bands 2/12 and the CA line helps me the most. Att has the licenses but guess not coverage not even for band 14 yet.

Thanks for explaining it where I could understand it you’re the best

Feedback Score
    How do you find out which bands will perform best for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
    How do you find out which bands will perform best for you?
    Trial and error. Lock a band and try it and then move on to the next. I have an unlocked, rooted moto6play that gets most LTE bands. I used Network Signal Guru to turn off all the bands and then activated one at a time and tested each band.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast