Thread: Smart VS Basic service card

Feedback Score

Smart VS Basic service card

What is the difference between the two types of cards? What do you get if you add a basic card to a smartphone? Thanks everyone for the info.

Feedback Score
    Smartphone cards give face value only. Basic cards give whatever the phone is capable of. May be single, double, or triple the face value. Newer phones are single value, with some exceptions. You don't want to use a Basic card with a single value phone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    To expand on what loboheeler said.... A smartphone card shows 3 separate values for talk, text, data. A basic card shows one value, that value is applied to each talk, text, data bucket. If the phone has Double Minute For Life (DMFL) or Triple Minute For Life (TMFL), that value is doubled or tripled before being applied to each bucket.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE on Tracfone BYOP GSM, iPad Mini 4 on T-Mobile Prepaid
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Three years ago I moved all my units from a Tracfone branded feature phone that was triple minutes for life to a BYOP iPhone. I buy the basic card and get 3x the face value for all three buckets (minutes, texts and data). For example I recently purchased the 19.99 card whose face value was 60 and got 180 added to all my buckets. I never buy the smart cards. If they ever bring back the web option for 49.99 for a year’s service I’ll go back to buying that plus data. Got more minutes and texts than I’ll likely use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltimer View Post
    Three years ago I moved all my units from a Tracfone branded feature phone that was triple minutes for life to a BYOP iPhone.
    Three years ago you could still get Tracfone branded phones and BYOP SIM cards with TMFL. Some newer phones and SIM cards got TMFL as a promotional offer for activations.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the basic card will be the best deal for me. I have a BYOP 3x sim card. Too bad we cannot get the 365 add on for BYOP. That is all I really need.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone,T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltimer View Post
    If they ever bring back the web option for 49.99 for a year’s service I’ll go back to buying that plus data. Got more minutes and texts than I’ll likely use.
    I saw what you said and went to the Tracfone website - the 49.99 for a year's service is an option when I added a minutes card on to my cart. Why do you say it's no longer available. Is it only certain plans that get it?

Edit: Just saw on another post that it's BYOP phones that can't buy the year's service. I forgot that my sim came from a Tracfone branded device and I moved the sim to a BYOP.