Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hangouts no longer free to call Canadian or U.S. telephone numbers from abroad

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Foreign SIM
    Thank you! So that matches what I described above and verifies that nothing has changed with using GV+Hangouts abroad, as far as I can tell from this conversation.

So, hoktrillian's statement in the title of this thread is hopefully/probably wrong, and something else was going on that prevented free calls with GV+Hangouts back to the US from abroad.

In any event, I think the takeaway is, if you can't get free GV+Hangouts calls back to the US/Canada to work while outside of the US/Canada, try dialing again using the "+1" or "001" prefix!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    IMO, it’s much easier to remember to add “+<country code>” to a phone number than to know/remember the exit code a country uses. Exit codes are not the same in all countries. It’s usually 00 but sometimes 011, 0011, or some other combination.

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html

I’ve always entered phone numbers in my contacts using the international format “+<country code>” so it doesn’t matter in which country I’m currently in or what app (GV/mobile VOIP, onesuite) I’m using.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the good info, Maru! I've saved https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html for future reference.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Even when in other countries and calling local numbers (e.g., in New Zealand calling NZ miners), having phone numbers saved in a mobile phone’s Contacts with the + sign and country code makes it so much easier. I don’t have to remember that their numbers have to be dialed with a 0 prefix. It’s the same in the UK and many other countries (I.e., having to add 0 prefix when calling local).

The rules, in other countries, may be vastly different when calling from a landline.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://support.google.com/hangouts/...id&hl=en&oco=2 has a link to "Learn where Hangouts calling isn’t available", which leads to https://support.google.com/hangouts/...5646?#dont_see :
    ---------------
    Countries where calling in Hangouts and Gmail is not available
    •Argentina
    •China
    •Cuba
    •Egypt
    •Ghana
    •India (Users in India can make calls to all countries except to locations within India.)
    •Iran
    •Jordan
    •Kenya
    •Mexico
    •Morocco
    •Myanmar
    •Nigeria
    •North Korea
    •Peru
    •Russian Federation
    •Saudi Arabia
    •Senegal
    •South Korea
    •Sudan
    •Syria
    •Thailand
    •United Arab Emirates
    •Vietnam
    ---------------

I'm surprised to see Mexico on that list, which makes me wonder if it's correct or not, since I've heard nothing about Hangouts not working in Mexico, and since https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Peninsula.html seems to indicate that Hangouts DOES work in Mexico.

In any event, Greece is NOT on the above list.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    GV most definitely works via WiFi in MX, did it earlier this year.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    GV most definitely works via WiFi in MX, did it earlier this year.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. since I'd seen no reports to the contrary, despite what the Google info I linked above says.

Thanks for confirming that Hangouts DOES work in Mexico.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In 2017 and earlier, I routinely paid for calls from Hangouts back to North America. Last year, with the GV wi-fi calling beta, I did not have to pay for such calls.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    In 2017 and earlier, I routinely paid for calls from Hangouts back to North America. Last year, with the GV wi-fi calling beta, I did not have to pay for such calls.
    I did NOT have to pay anything for calls to the US or Canada using my GV # via Hangouts while in Europe, starting back in 2016, or during any more recent trips.

Did you figure out why you had to pay? Did you have a foreign SIM card in your phone? Were you dialing using 001 or +1 as described above?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did notice last year, when I was using a mobile phone in Macau, that Google Voice required payment to make a phone call. However, when I went onto the hotel's wifi, I was not charged.

It turns out that Google has agreements with the local government rules that say that phone calls must be paid a fee, since the telephone company is run, at least in part, but the government, or has an exclusive license to operate that the government grants. In that case, Google is required to make a good faith effort to collect whatever the minimum amount is that would be paid by the telephone company.

However, the system is not perfect, and since IP telephony can go pretty much anywhere, if Google can't positively determine the IP you are coming from is owned by the telephone company that is required to make phone payments, it won't try to charge you.

So in my case, I've noticed that anytime I'm using a phone or device that is using a local phone company's IP, Google will ask for money, otherwise I don't get charged. You can see this by turning on a VPN.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by oatflake View Post
    I did notice last year, when I was using a mobile phone in Macau, that Google Voice required payment to make a phone call. However, when I went onto the hotel's wifi, I was not charged.

It turns out that Google has agreements with the local government rules that say that phone calls must be paid a fee, since the telephone company is run, at least in part, but the government, or has an exclusive license to operate that the government grants. In that case, Google is required to make a good faith effort to collect whatever the minimum amount is that would be paid by the telephone company.

However, the system is not perfect, and since IP telephony can go pretty much anywhere, if Google can't positively determine the IP you are coming from is owned by the telephone company that is required to make phone payments, it won't try to charge you.

So in my case, I've noticed that anytime I'm using a phone or device that is using a local phone company's IP, Google will ask for money, otherwise I don't get charged. You can see this by turning on a VPN.
    oatflake, you didn't answer the most important questions from the discussion above.

Did your cell phone have a non-US SIM in it?

Did you dial using +1 or 001 in from of the 10-digit phone # when you called a US or Canada #?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    While there was not another opportunity to further test Hangouts call to United States telephone numbers in Greece as most calls always have been just Hangouts to Hangouts, further tests were done in Turkey and the latest in Taiwan, all work just fine, just United States area code then 7-digit telephone number, with 1 before area code or with + before 1. As always, Google Fi SIM card has been used abroad.

Hopefully, someone else will further test Hangouts call to United States telephone numbers in Greece and post in this thread. Moreover, I would like to report that during Aegean Sea cruise, if one stays in upper deck, most of time there was cellular signal. Therefore, one can skip onboard Wi-Fi.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    oatflake, you didn't answer the most important questions from the discussion above.

Did your cell phone have a non-US SIM in it?

Did you dial using +1 or 001 in from of the 10-digit phone # when you called a US or Canada #?
    My cell phone had a SIM obtained in Macau with a Macau-based local phone number. When I attempted to use the data (no-wifi) using Google Voice, either using +1, or 001 in a 10-digit phone when calling US (did not attempt to call Canada, since I know nobody in Canada) resulted in a charge per minute within the Hangouts app for iOS.

When I switched off mobile data, and turned on the hotel Wifi, using +1 (the default mode I normally dial numbers) worked without requesting payment.

I then switched on mobile data, turned on my VPN which was located inside the US (I confirmed my exit point IP was inside the US) and using +1 (again, the default mode I use for dialing all numbers in Google Voice) no request for charges.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by oatflake View Post
    My cell phone had a SIM obtained in Macau with a Macau-based local phone number. When I attempted to use the data (no-wifi) using Google Voice, either using +1, or 001 in a 10-digit phone when calling US (did not attempt to call Canada, since I know nobody in Canada) resulted in a charge per minute within the Hangouts app for iOS.

When I switched off mobile data, and turned on the hotel Wifi, using +1 (the default mode I normally dial numbers) worked without requesting payment.

I then switched on mobile data, turned on my VPN which was located inside the US (I confirmed my exit point IP was inside the US) and using +1 (again, the default mode I use for dialing all numbers in Google Voice) no request for charges.
    Thanks for the info.

This is very odd. In my experience, with a foreign SIM in a phone or tablet, even when on WiFi, there was a per minute cost to call back to the US or Canada UNLESS I dialed using +1 or 001, in which case, there was no charge.

I guess the best that can be said for now is that it's YMMV for calling back to the US and Canada at no cost using a GV # + Hangouts when using a foreign SIM for data, even when dialing using +1 or 001.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just used Google Hangouts to call a US phone number while in South America a couple ~weeks ago and there was no charge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2