Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UNREAL Mobile Price Hike In Progress...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

UNREAL Mobile Price Hike In Progress...

I have three lines with UNREAL Mobile on their $10/mo 1GB + Talk/Text plan. I got a message this morning from my PayPal account that suddenly I'm being charged $12.99 per month. I quickly checked the registered gmail address to see if there were any notifications or messages there and nothing other than messages about data usage on the lines as they approach their limits. I logged into the UNREAL Mobile portal to see if what's there, on the change line rate page it still shows $10/month for 1GB is still available. Same on the homepage. I did locate in the portal where the notification bell shows they sent me a notification 4/25/2019 that "We've recently updated your subscription. Please review the billing section for details." Hmmm - curiously convenient as that notification didn't automatically send to my e-mail address like EVERY OTHER notification... I look in the billing section and see I'm on the $10 plan, but the item "Recurring Bill Amount" now shows $12.99. No explanation. I honestly feel singled out!!

I then furiously try searching the site and their phone system which is a maze of dead ends with no human beings in sight unless you want to purchase something. I go off the automated path and the first person I spoke they transferred me back to the dead-end. Grrr! Second time I got a little more insistent and the sales guy admits the pricing structure is being refreshed and they are on their "last day" of a promotion to up-sell users to $99 per year for the 1GB/mo plans.

What the other plans will change to, I did not get details, but beware, these guys feel very shyster. I think they might be trying to get away with being aggressive after having a decent run and still calling their service "Beta". It's time to shed the beta and grow up if that's the case. Dumping a price change on people without proper notification is extremely rude!

Is anyone else having a similar experience? I'll most likely find another option to set up lines with because even if the $99 per year price is pretty decent, the way this company is operating doesn't leave me with the impression they're going to continue being fair for the next 12 months.

EDIT: Before I forget, and future reference of forum members, the sales rep was "Lawrence" who said it was a price hike coming.

--Kidd
    Last edited by AlexKidd1977; 04-29-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Add rep
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Oh, boy! That's too bad! I was really hoping Unreal would be a good service without "tricks"!

Is there any chance "Speed Boost" or "Data Saver" or "Ad Blocking" got turned on for your account? Those are all $2.99/mo each according to https://bestmvno.com/reviews/unreal-mobile-review/.

Feedback Score
    I am not surprised at the familiar game play after all Unreal is a spin-off of FreedomPop.

Feedback Score
    There is no free lunch...

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    FreedomPop ain’t free, just like Unreal ain’t real...

This company epitomizes CAVEAT EMPTOR, and they put the “sleaze” in sleazy...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    There is no free lunch...
    But it's not free. It's $10/mo. Or maybe $12.99/mo...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

UNREAL Mobile Price Hike In Progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Is there any chance "Speed Boost" or "Data Saver" or "Ad Blocking" got turned on for your account? Those are all $2.99/mo each according to https://bestmvno.com/reviews/unreal-mobile-review/.
    I definitely considered that but when I checked the optional coverages page, none where listed - just the $10 a month plan that’s it. Also, when you have multiple lines with them, there’s a drop down you can select them each at the top and all three lines were identical. If one of the kids accidentally added it to their line it would have happened theoretically on just one line. Plus the notice that they updated the service is there just not sent to my email.

—Kidd

Feedback Score
    I read on SlickDeals that they added a $2.99 per month service charge for taxes and fees. Whether that's true or not doesn't matter because it still amounts to the same 30% price hike. Not properly communicating that price increase is pretty shady. I also noticed that on Beast Mobile's website, that their similar $10 unlimited/unlimited/1GB Sprint plan is now completey off their website. Wonder if this is somewhat related.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    I read on SlickDeals that they added a $2.99 per month service charge for taxes and fees. Whether that's true or not doesn't matter because it still amounts to the same 30% price hike. Not properly communicating that price increase is pretty shady. I also noticed that on Beast Mobile's website, that their similar $10 unlimited/unlimited/1GB Sprint plan is now completey off their website. Wonder if this is somewhat related.
    Yeah and it hit me harder because I have 3 lines on that plan. It all comes down to good communications and it didn’t look like they tried one bit. Any word on if this fee affects the $20+ plans?

With regard to Boost eliminating the cheapest plan it’s most likely coincidence as I’m unaware of any significant new taxes or fcc fees to justify. My guess would be that all of the companies are being aggressive offering more options at the low end to try and snag more users and then shift around to catch switchers (lower prices) or maximize profits (raise prices) which is the capitalist thing to do. Like I said though the least they can do is not foist raises on you without a reasonable level of effort to let everyone know before the bill hits.

—Kidd

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh, boy! That's too bad! I was really hoping Unreal would be a good service without "tricks"!

My sons got hit with this too. I checked their services and they have none, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    We have only AT&T SIMs so doubt it is Sprint related; most likely same old FreedomPop tricks again.

I think you are spot on that it is a tax recovery thing, but they company is the absolute worst about communicating with customers. I would say you (as in we) get what you pay for, but $10/ mo is starting to lose even that value.

Anything close to unlimited 2G for $13/mo. out there?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    My sons got hit with this too. I checked their services and they have none, too.We have only AT&T SIMs so doubt it is Sprint related; most likely same old FreedomPop tricks again.

I think you are spot on that it is a tax recovery thing, but they company is the absolute worst about communicating with customers. I would say you (as in we) get what you pay for, but $10/ mo is starting to lose even that value.

It looks like Tello is $9/mo for 1GB LTE + unlimited 2G speeds. See https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans. I don't know how much they charge for taxes and fees, which would vary by location.

Feedback Score
    It looks like Tello is $9/mo for 1GB LTE + unlimited 2G speeds. See https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans. I don't know how much they charge for taxes and fees, which would vary by location.
    Don't forget, you get a real cell phone number, no data needed for talk and text.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Don't forget, you get a real cell phone number, no data needed for talk and text.
    Correct, but the $9/mo (+taxes/fees) includes data and text only (text is included for no extra cost) because agalvan only asked about data, so I quoted a data only price.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm lost here. If you're on the Sprint side of this, why didn't you just get on the literal free Sprint service for a year? It's like $3.73 in taxes or something when all is said and done. It is/was a full post-paid account with all the such features.

Or just go get a decent actual prepaid service that isn't really expensive like Redpocket ebay plans (literally pick all 4 networks). The most expensive plan I can see is $30 a month, most are $10-20 in reality and you can buy 90/180 day or full year plans and the peace of mind not having to keep paying a bill is worth the extra $50 you spent a year. Or Consumer Cellular for simple. Or ATT prepaid which as far as I know still uses and gets the customer service postpaid has and you can go into any corporate store.

Why would you use Freedompop or RingPlus or any of those BS companies anymore? Seriously.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    My sons got hit with this too. I checked their services and they have none, too.We have only AT&T SIMs so doubt it is Sprint related; most likely same old FreedomPop tricks again.

If you can use Sprint, then Tello has unlimited/unlimited/1GB with unlimited 2G at $14 per month. Do a Google search for Tello Promo codes as there are a few 30% off promo codes for the first month. If you need AT&T, then Good2Go Mobile I think has the same the same plan for $15 with Auto Pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast