Thread: new policies for any multi-line sale

Feedback Score

new policies for any multi-line sale

all dealer's are being instructed(on threat of termination if they do not comply) to follow new guidelines intended to reduce 'gaming the system' by people looking to acquire handsets to re-sell, unlock, etc. the new guidelines require a government issued Photo ID for any purchase of more than a single handset and the account name and address must match the ID. dealers are also required to write on the boxes with a sharpie the customers name and date of purchase to reduce the possibility of the phone being resold as 'new in the box' this writing on the boxes has been suggested to dealers but not a mandatory process for some time now.

i believe there is an intention by metro to query sales at multiple stores to the same individuals on separate accounts and take some form action to prevent additional sales to those individuals.

dealers are being told these new policies are part of an effort to continue offering handset discount to new customers and those who switch over from other carriers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    I’ve been carded before. No biggie.

Defacing boxes? Don’t see that happening, at least to knowledgeable customers.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    all dealer's are being instructed(on threat of termination if they do not comply) to follow new guidelines intended to reduce 'gaming the system' by people looking to acquire handsets to re-sell, unlock, etc. the new guidelines require a government issued Photo ID for any purchase of more than a single handset and the account name and address must match the ID. dealers are also required to write on the boxes with a sharpie the customers name and date of purchase to reduce the possibility of the phone being resold as 'new in the box' this writing on the boxes has been suggested to dealers but not a mandatory process for some time now.

i believe there is an intention by metro to query sales at multiple stores to the same individuals on separate accounts and take some form action to prevent additional sales to those individuals.

dealers are being told these new policies are part of an effort to continue offering handset discount to new customers and those who switch over from other carriers.
    Graffitiing boxes? That’s pretty base and classless. Some of Metro’s policies make it seem as if a 12 year old is running their marketing.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Metro PCS should just ID all in store activation's that get the new customer discounts and store them in their database. That way Metro PCS can blacklist customers that are just buying their phones to unlock and resell. That would be the easiest way to handle the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    dealers are also required to write on the boxes with a sharpie the customers name and date of purchase to reduce the possibility of the phone being resold as 'new in the box' this writing on the boxes has been suggested to dealers but not a mandatory process for some time now.
    I had my last android headset for two and a half years. It finally quit and went to a corporate store to get a new phone. They asked for ID and I hate my 8 digit passcode. Upon sale she took the sharpie and wanted to write on the box. I grabbed the box from her and told her no. She flipped out about it. I told her I was buying the phone and it was my box and I don't want anything written on it. She did go off about how they will get in trouble if they don't because people resell the phones. I told her its obvious I am not reselling the phone and that she needs to deal with it. What I found funny is she then tried to pull the trespass card on me. I told her, that its ridiculous to do that. I came in to buy something. I bought it. We are done. I am leaving now as soon as you hand me the receipt. You haven't asked me to leave so how could I refuse. I then told her just give me the receipt and I am leaving. I then reported it to Metro. Not that they will do anything about it. I just didn't appreciate the employee threatening to call the cops on me for trespassing when she wasn't even done the sale yet. I am still standing here because you haven't given me the receipt yet. She tried to force me to give her back the box so she could write on it. Just ridiculous.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejax View Post
    I had my last android headset for two and a half years. It finally quit and went to a corporate store to get a new phone. They asked for ID and I hate my 8 digit passcode. Upon sale she took the sharpie and wanted to write on the box. I grabbed the box from her and told her no. She flipped out about it. I told her I was buying the phone and it was my box and I don't want anything written on it. She did go off about how they will get in trouble if they don't because people resell the phones. I told her its obvious I am not reselling the phone and that she needs to deal with it. What I found funny is she then tried to pull the trespass card on me. I told her, that its ridiculous to do that. I came in to buy something. I bought it. We are done. I am leaving now as soon as you hand me the receipt. You haven't asked me to leave so how could I refuse. I then told her just give me the receipt and I am leaving. I then reported it to Metro. Not that they will do anything about it. I just didn't appreciate the employee threatening to call the cops on me for trespassing when she wasn't even done the sale yet. I am still standing here because you haven't given me the receipt yet. She tried to force me to give her back the box so she could write on it. Just ridiculous.
    Is there any verbiage, signs, etc. in the store declaring this “policy”?

In my state, a car dealer needs your consent to affix/deface your car with their dealership paraphernalia. That’s a basic consumer protection.

Pretty sure that this new Metro “policy’ is illegal. If I go to...Target...for example, to buy a special, they aren't going to try that sh*t.

The problem is Metro preys on low information customers. This move, the SIM swap fee, the pay your bill in store fee, the activation fee, etc. They've gone from screwing over the customer to enacting illegal practices, like defacing products.

Time to report this crap to an aggressive state AG where this happens.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post

In my state, a car dealer needs your consent to affix/deface your car with their dealership paraphernalia. That’s a basic consumer protection.

Pretty sure that this new Metro “policy’ is illegal. If I go to...Target...for example, to buy a special, they aren't going to try that sh*t.

The problem is Metro preys on low information customers. This move, the SIM swap fee, the pay your bill in store fee, the activation fee, etc. They've gone from screwing over the customer to enacting illegal practices, like defacing products.

Yeah...I think that once you've paid for it, the box is not theirs to graffiti. If they try before paying, walk away from the deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post

I don't know about my state.

One thing that really burned me up though is they charged me for a new SIM and charged me for the SIM card. I remember maybe it was 3 years ago when I bought my phone before they did charge me some fee to swap the phone out on my account, which I still don't understand why there is a charge for that but thats fine. However, she forced me to buy a new SIM when it was very obvious my current SIM fit right in the phone. She finally waived the fee to the new SIM purchase but I was just really urked about it. Any way to make more money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Metro created this problem by discounting phones instead of discounting monthly service.

Worse than markers are careless salesmen who tear open the boxes roughly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejax View Post
    I don't know about my state.

One thing that really burned me up though is they charged me for a new SIM and charged me for the SIM card. I remember maybe it was 3 years ago when I bought my phone before they did charge me some fee to swap the phone out on my account, which I still don't understand why there is a charge for that but thats fine. However, she forced me to buy a new SIM when it was very obvious my current SIM fit right in the phone. She finally waived the fee to the new SIM purchase but I was just really urked about it. Any way to make more money.
    When I was in the store during the situation from my last comment, I told her I did not want a new SIM. I made it very clear that I want her to hand me the new phone and I will put the SIM from my old phone into the new phone. She refused. So then I told her how about I give you my old SIM and you put it in the phone. She also refused. Then I told her I wanted to buy the phone without activating it and she told me I was not able to do that.

There was absolutely no way around the new SIM fee unless I got the new SIM and *****ed about not wanting to pay the fee and have it waived. Which I didn't because I did not know they could waive the fee. Next time, I will know. I feel so scammed. Both my old phone and new phone were Samsung Galaxy models so obviously the SIM would fit and was compatible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry they cheated you Jax. Part of the problem is Metro actually ties the SIM to a specific IMEI/MEID. Before physically switching the SIM card to a new phone it has to be switched in Metros system. It just takes a phone call to Metro. They dont care what phone you use after activation.