Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T Prepaid Download Speeds

called 3 stores and none could tell me the download speed for
    prepaid accounts. when i had Cricket it was limited to 8mbps
    " The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of a low price has faded from memory" > Aldo Gucci

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post
    Straight talk and others limit the speed, but I’d be surprised if ATT did. I have Verizon prepaid right now and I’m getting 26.5 down/17.6 up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post
    It's not limited for AT&T prepaid... Only prioritized... Below post paid and above other MVNO's.

I've gotten over 100Mbps before in the wee hours of the morning when traffic is very low, here is one I had handy.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Moto G5 Plus (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei Honor 7x (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (VZW), HTC 10 (VZW)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    It's not limited for AT&T prepaid... Only prioritized... Below post paid and above other MVNO's.

I've gotten over 100Mbps before in the wee hours of the morning when traffic is very low, here is one I had handy.

Your speed test is measuring the output of a nearby tower not the speeds that your smartphone is actually downloading and uploading. I had ATT prepaid and nearby towers ranged from 14 - 70 mbps download speeds but my smartphone only had a steady 1.6 mbps for download speeds with 4G LTE and 2.4 mbps with 4G. I was not throttled and the 1.6 to 2.4 was consistent for months. When I reached the high speed limit I was throttled down to 35- 136 kbps range mostly in the 70kbps download speed not enough to open webpages. Use www.fast.com to measure download speeds on your smartphone

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    The $65 unlimited plan can be de-prioritized. But no hard and fast limit.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score

AT&T Prepaid Download Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by thiagosantiro View Post
    Your speed test is measuring the output of a nearby tower not the speeds that your smartphone is actually downloading and uploading. I had ATT prepaid and nearby towers ranged from 14 - 70 mbps download speeds but my smartphone only had a steady 1.6 mbps for download speeds with 4G LTE and 2.4 mbps with 4G. I was not throttled and the 1.6 to 2.4 was consistent for months. When I reached the high speed limit I was throttled down to 35- 136 kbps range mostly in the 70kbps download speed not enough to open webpages. Use www.fast.com to measure download speeds on your smartphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score

I don't think I'd trust fast.com for speed testing a phone... On my desktop that's different, but fast.com never exceeds 5Mbps on my phone, but any of a dozen other speed testing methods easily hits 5-20 times that. A quick test using Google's speed test just now put it at 37Mbps down, and using our own Ookla test server (my company is an ISP) yields 48Mbps down.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I assumed fast.com was from Netflix and possibly throttled under streamsaver options (Treated like streaming video)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Fast.com is only testing from Netflix’s server (video content) I can get 4.5 Mbps down on fast.com and get 60 Mbps using the speed test app. There is no mini / max speed for prepaid. It’s whatever the tower has available. I’ve gotten has high as 171 Mbps and as low as 5 Mbps. But in my area I hardly see below 25-30 Mbps.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:
    https://imgur.com/a/UMj1hM1

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    Name:  IMG_1104.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  22.0 KB
    Att 5ge speed in Columbus Ohio on att prepaid

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    I don't think I'd trust fast.com for speed testing a phone... On my desktop that's different, but fast.com never exceeds 5Mbps on my phone, but any of a dozen other speed testing methods easily hits 5-20 times that. A quick test using Google's speed test just now put it at 37Mbps down, and using our own Ookla test server (my company is an ISP) yields 48Mbps down.

www.fast.com does not have a 5mbps download speed limit. If that is the highest value fast.com measures on your smartphone using fast.com then your cell phone provider is limiting your download speeds to 5mbps maxName:  Screenshot_2019-05-01-01-59-30-01.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  32.4 KB

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    www.fast.com does not have a 5mbps download speed limit. If that is the highest value fast.com measures on your smartphone using fast.com then your cell phone provider is limiting your download speeds to 5mbps maxName:  Screenshot_2019-05-01-01-59-30-01.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  32.4 KB

I literally can't get over 5Mbps on fast.com on mobile data anytime or anywhere, it jumps to about 4.5Mbps and stops, but only that site... I can't tell you why, because on wifi I get 160Mbps down which my ISP service is 150/15. Is AT&T throttling it specifically? Probably, but again this is likely because the source is considered Netflix's server farm and many AT&T prepaid plans (including mine) throttle "data content recognized as video" so there could be a correlation.

No other speed test gives me slow results... These were taken early this morning at my home.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    BTW... AT&T definitely seems to be throttling fast.com (Netflix) specifically... First pic is on Wifi, second on mobile data but note the upload speed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do you have Stream Saver enabled on your account by chance?
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    Do you have Stream Saver enabled on your account by chance?
    Yes... I did, removed it, waited 5 minutes and rebooted (per instructions) and ran fast.com again. Got 27-41Mbps across several tests. Clearly fast.com was being throttled down by Stream Saver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast