Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me if I am assessing MVNOs correctly?

Feedback Score

Can someone tell me if I am assessing MVNOs correctly?

I have been using Tello for a while now and I have been happy. Only issue has been many dead areas. After looking at the US carrier network maps I see how spotty Sprint coverage is as compared to either Verizon or AT&T.

My question- When evaluating MVNOs where none have roaming (as I have seen anyway) isn't the key then to get one that uses a carrier with a vast network such that roaming isn't really necessary anyway?

My phone is locked to Sprint. I was thinking about unlocking it and going with Red Pocket on Verizon for the better coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smaye View Post
    I have been using Tello for a while now and I have been happy. Only issue has been many dead areas. After looking at the US carrier network maps I see how spotty Sprint coverage is as compared to either Verizon or AT&T.

My question- When evaluating MVNOs where none have roaming (as I have seen anyway) isn't the key then to get one that uses a carrier with a vast network such that roaming isn't really necessary anyway?

My phone is locked to Sprint. I was thinking about unlocking it and going with Red Pocket on Verizon for the better coverage.
    What phone is it? Sprint phones generally can’t be used on Verizon, unless it’s a iPhone usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    It is a LG G3. It is CDMA. I thought it was too good to be true....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    It is a LG G3. It is CDMA. I thought it was too good to be true....
    That phones only for sprint only. Generally your gonna have a bad time anyway using a sprint phone on another carrier

Feedback Score
    Good to know. What about my assessment of coverage of Sprint vs Verizon? Seems like a no brainer that Verizon is way better.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Can someone tell me if I am assessing MVNOs correctly?

Good to know. What about my assessment of coverage of Sprint vs Verizon? Seems like a no brainer that Verizon is way better.
    It’s all personal use and area. Id never be caught using sprint haha. Sprint has zero service in my entire county.

I do have a tello pay as you go line sitting on a boost mobile phone which has a free credit awhile back just to have as a spare phone. In testing coverage is never as good as AT&T or even T-Mobile

There are some areas where one is better than the other.

It’s just more of a personal preference

Feedback Score
    Well, in some cases I would agree it would be a matter of personal preference such as two carriers having similar coverage in your area and you just have a preference for one over the other. With Sprint for you it is a no brainer. I am not too much different. Way too many dead zones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Back long ago during the CDMA/EVDO only days I had a lot of experience roaming on Sprint and MetroPCS (back when it was cdma). Was generally a good Exp. I had uscellular and anywhere and everywhere it was always roaming

Feedback Score
    Looking at Verizon phones now...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Looking at Verizon phones now...
    Not sure how redpocket Verizon data speeds are, but I tested out Verizon prepaid back in January, and was amazed service text and call wise. It worked everywhere when travelling up through SC,NC, and VA. While T-Mobile had several dead areas. Data speed wise was another story. It was okay not great, but some service is better than none!

Feedback Score
    Also I know the Verizon coverage map (and other carriers) is not accurate for some rural areas. So depends where you live and want service. You'd have to read how the carriers come up with those maps. That's why the FCC is still sitting on money ear marked to bring broadband to un-served rural areas. They can't rely on the carrier maps that show service that doesn't exist.

Feedback Score

Coverage depends on where you are, though, in general, Verizon and AT&T have more coverage in more places. Sprint is ok where I live in the mid-Atlantic on the I95 corridor unless you get off major highways and between towns.

Most MVNOs don't have roaming, some do. I think Twigby that uses Sprint has some. It may be voice and text only.

I have Tello paygo on two phones because I had them leftover from a previous service. One is just a glovebox spare. The other I gave to my sister to use as a low use hotspot.

I like having a fully functional smartphone with service in the car that doesn't cost me anything to keep active.

My main phone uses Verizon. Vz is the only one with signal inside the house. Outside the house dead spots are rare.

Feedback Score
    twigby is a cheapish sprint mvno with talk/text roaming on verizon. You might want to check them out too. No data roaming though.

Feedback Score
    Sprint in my area has better coverage than VZW. And VZW codecs are garbage.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UltGladiator View Post
    twigby is a cheapish sprint mvno with talk/text roaming on verizon. You might want to check them out too. No data roaming though.
    Sprint Postpaid has very good voice coverage when roaming on Verizon towers. Twigby sounds like a great option if they have full roaming coverage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast