Thread: Simply want to switch phones

Feedback Score

Simply want to switch phones

Hi,

I want to simply change my phone on my existing PPC service. I would like to do it myself online, but a bit confused b/c the PPC website calls it activating a new service. I have the monthly $29.95 plan on auto-renew. Any guidance/tips would be appreciated.

- The SIM in my current phone will not work in my new phone b/c it's a micro SIM and the new phone takes a nano.

- I have a new, unused nano SIM I purchased recently directly from PPC.

- I want to keep my existing phone number.

- I want my existing monthly service plan to port over as well, if that makes sense.

If I click the "Activate a phone and keep (port) my current number", will it all work as intended? I guess I wasn't expecting to the see the language about porting (since I'm a current PPC customer), nor the language on the page about activating a new service.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Open a chat with PPC. Tell them you want to swap phones but will also need to transfer your account to a different SIM.

Give them:

Phone #
    Old IMEI
    Old SIM #
    New IMEI
    New SIM #

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post
    Open a chat with PPC. Tell them you want to swap phones but will also need to transfer your account to a different SIM.

Give them:

Phone #
    Old IMEI
    Old SIM #
    New IMEI
    New SIM #
    That's a good idea. I thought they had disabled chat but it's just because when it's off-hours it circles you around back to the phone number.
    Last edited by Kirkcellular; 05-02-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkcellular View Post
    That's a good idea. I thought they had disabled chat but it's just because when it's off-hours it circles you around back to the phone number.
    The only way I found to get a chat is by going into the Activation page; then it pops up in the corner.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The only way I found to get a chat is by going into the Activation page; then it pops up in the corner.
    FYI, I discovered that if you engage the Q&A bot and type AGENT, in regular business hours a chat window will (eventually) appear.

BTW, it all seemed to work flawlessly. Chat agent was quick and efficient.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Use Chrome, not firefox.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkcellular View Post
    - The SIM in my current phone will not work in my new phone b/c it's a micro SIM and the new phone takes a nano.
    But its trivial to make a micro SIM into a nano SIM... takes 15 secs and you avoid all the stuff you're talking about...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    But its trivial to make a micro SIM into a nano SIM... takes 15 secs and you avoid all the stuff you're talking about...
    You'd think right? I've worked on fiber optics & micro lasers on manufacturing mobos worth 15k-250k. I've never had success cutting the 3 or 4 times I've tried. And they were all cut perfectly. Now I just get 3in1 SIMs & save the cutouts for adapters.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    You'd think right? I've worked on fiber optics & micro lasers on manufacturing mobos worth 15k-250k. I've never had success cutting the 3 or 4 times I've tried. And they were all cut perfectly. Now I just get 3in1 SIMs & save the cutouts for adapters.
    I've done it at least 6-8 times with success -- never had a failure. So I don't know what to say about your bad luck with it... I've used both the purpose-made cutters (which admittedly are a bit unnerving with their crunch, but always worked), as well as just a pair of sharp scissors. Multiple times with each method, no problems.

If the OP is just going to trash the old SIM, there's nothing to lose in trying...

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I tried to use one of those cutouts as an adapter once on a phone where the SIM is inserted from the side (without a tray). It bound up in the slot, and by the time I got the SIM out, the phone no longer worked with a SIM. Luckily, a cheap phone.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I tried to use one of those cutouts as an adapter once on a phone where the SIM is inserted from the side (without a tray). It bound up in the slot, and by the time I got the SIM out, the phone no longer worked with a SIM. Luckily, a cheap phone.

Always make sure to cover the back side of the adapter with a thin piece of tape to ensure the inner SIM doesn't pop out of the adapter inside the phone.