Thread: Roaming on sprints CDMA

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Roaming on sprints CDMA

since vzw is pushing hard for LTE only phones being on their network and they will be turning off CDMA for good...

how would vzw roaming on sprints cdma? sprint network sucks BUT they do have some good coverage areas that beats all other carriers where sprint would have service while no body else would, their LTE network doesnt compare to their CDMA network for coverage...sooo if vzw plan is to just use sprints LTE for roaming might as well just kill the contract with sprint cause its not going be worth it for vzw

anyone wth is going happen?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't see why Verizon wants to pay anybody for roaming. Verizon has the economies of scale and purchasing power with their vendors to replace the CDMA coverage that's going away. When Verizon Wireless pays a competitor for roaming, that's money not invested into their network, that's money going to somebody else. Unless, there's a compelling reason to roam, I don't think Verizon is going to throw in the towel in areas where CDMA coverage may be going away.

Feedback Score
    where are these areas that have Sprint coverage but no Verizon coverage?

Feedback Score
    In Vermont Verizon appears to roam on somebody 1X - I assume on US Cellular. I am curious what will happen with that coverage.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Roaming on sprints CDMA

Yes. I’d be more concerned about the small regional carriers roaming coverage than Sprint’s.

But it is still a good question, will CDMA roaming still be available once Verizon turns down CDMA for consumer use?

And I’m sure there are one or two spots in the country where Sprint has better coverage than Verizon, although I too am curious where they are!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's a large chunk of area in Eastern West Virginia where Verizon doesn't have native coverage (roams on USCC 1X) but Sprint has decent coverage thanks to their affiliate Shentel. Maybe now Verizon eventually will build in that area.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would assume if your cell phone has a CDMA radio with the required bands you can still roam as long as Verizon allows it. It will become a problem going forward since I can see CDMA radio bands being removed from the newer devices made to be used on Verizon Wireless.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    There's a large chunk of area in Eastern West Virginia where Verizon doesn't have native coverage (roams on USCC 1X) but Sprint has decent coverage thanks to their affiliate Shentel. Maybe now Verizon eventually will build in that area.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    You should not be on Verizon Wireless if you live or frequent an area that does not have native coverage. Verizon could also update their roaming agreement to get access to USCC LTE and VOLTE Roaming for Verizon postpaid customers.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I don't see why Verizon wants to pay anybody for roaming. Verizon has the economies of scale and purchasing power with their vendors to replace the CDMA coverage that's going away. When Verizon Wireless pays a competitor for roaming, that's money not invested into their network, that's money going to somebody else. Unless, there's a compelling reason to roam, I don't think Verizon is going to throw in the towel in areas where CDMA coverage may be going away.
    Actually, Verizon is extremely smart and calculated. I’ve been following in mobile tech for almost 25 years - acquiring/leasing tower space and placing radio heads is a very complex and sometimes pricey endeavor. It’s definitely been their game plan all along that if paying for the local coverage doesn’t have a cost advantage then they seek and are happy to pay roaming carriers to add “Extended” coverage - including Sprint at times. My understanding is that this has become less and less as they moved forward with the LTEIRA program and their nationwide licenses so the cost benefit equation continues to favor roaming in a lot of places unless the regional isn’t prepared to join LTEIRA so Verizon is forced to build to expand coverage.

Long story short, if Sprint can’t renew roaming agreements favorable to Verizon they will put up the coverage to make it happen but even if prices go up and it’s still favorable to roam at the higher price they will go ahead with it. (This might be the case if CDMA use has gone way down as users have switched to LTE)

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    where are these areas that have Sprint coverage but no Verizon coverage?
    My prepaid Verizon SE roamed on Sprint CDMA last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sprint roaming was always market specific. I've never been able to roam on it ever in Atlanta. I have roamed on it in Tallahassee a few times. I cant remember the last time I've had to use it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Back when I still had a Note 4 for my work phone I'd roam on Sprint 1x while inside my office building a lot. There is still a lot of Verizon CDMA equipment live here in Louisville, KY, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start thinning or completely shut down soon to widen B5 to 10x10. Here they only have 10x10 B13, 10x10 B4, 10x10 B4, 5x5 B5, and 5x5 B2. For comparison AT&T has 170 MHz deployed here currently.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Up where I live in rural No. CA, our Verizon phones (both of which are VoLTE capable thankfully, so we're good past 12/31/19), LTE coverage outside of town is spotty at best, and there are still many places where CDMA 1x has the best coverage. In many of those areas, Verizon's native coverage is rather weak, so our phones roam on USCC's CDMA network, which at home is 90% of the time (we have LTE, but it's worthless for VoLTE calls because of the spotty coverage.

USCC doesn't have plans to shut down their CDMA yet, as far as I know, so, since their CDMA coverage is so much better than Verizon's, I'd imagine that they'll see a noticeable uptick in new customers this year, especially after Verizon shuts down their CDMA.

The problem is, they've traditionally roamed on Verizon's network for pretty much everywhere other than their relatively small coverage area (basically limited to areas north of Napa and Sonoma counties). Maybe they'll roam on Sprint instead, since they're keeping their CDMA for a bit longer (at least until sometime between 2021 and 2023, as far as I can tell)?

c