Thread: Skype one-way audio problem with LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score

Skype one-way audio problem with LG Fiesta 2

Does anyone uses Skype on Fiesta 2? I am facing a problem that when I use Skype to call another phone (home phone or smart phone numbers, not app-to-app), it will have the one-way audio problem (I can hear the receiving end but the receiving end can't hear me) after a while. The time could be anywhere from 5 minutes (sometimes shorter) to 30 minutes. My two Fiesta 2 phones from TracFone's 2-for-1 sale demonstrate the same problem. The phone calls were done with WiFi only because I had transferred Fiesta 2's balance to other phones already. So I don't know if I would have the problem with mobile connection. I have been using an old LG G3 in the same way (WiFi only) for international callings without any problem for a couple of years now but G3's battery has worn down to the point that a replacement is warranted. I thought Fiesta 2 with its large battery capacity would fit in very well.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Does anyone uses Skype on Fiesta 2? I am facing a problem that when I use Skype to call another phone (home phone or smart phone numbers, not app-to-app), it will have the one-way audio problem (I can hear the receiving end but the receiving end can't hear me) after a while. The time could be anywhere from 5 minutes (sometimes shorter) to 30 minutes. My two Fiesta 2 phones from TracFone's 2-for-1 sale demonstrate the same problem. The phone calls were done with WiFi only because I had transferred Fiesta 2's balance to other phones already. So I don't know if I would have the problem with mobile connection. I have been using an old LG G3 in the same way (WiFi only) for international callings without any problem for a couple of years now but G3's battery has worn down to the point that a replacement is warranted. I thought Fiesta 2 with its large battery capacity would fit in very well.
    I'm just guessing, but it sort of sounds like a Skype app problem. Do you have the same version on your Fiesta 2 as you have on your LG G3? If not, have you tried the same version? If you're using an older app version on your LG G3, you might be able to find that same version at https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/skype/ to try on your Fiesta 2.

On a side note, have you compared Skype international calling prices to Viber Out or Google Voice? The last time I checked, and unless something has changed, Skype pricing for calling real phone #s was quite a bit higher, and both Viber Out and Google Voice work very well over WiFI.

Tel3 and Rebtel also have very good international calling rates, but both of their Android apps over data only has been poor in the past, so I really can't recommend them for use with their Android apps only. But I DO recommend either for international calling over a regular cellular or landline #.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm just guessing, but it sort of sounds like a Skype app problem. Do you have the same version on your Fiesta 2 as you have on your LG G3? If not, have you tried the same version? If you're using an older app version on your LG G3, you might be able to find that same version at https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/skype/ to try on your Fiesta 2.
    Yes, G3 has an older version of Skype. I will try your suggestion when I get around. I tend to agree with you that Skype app. may be the culprit. Last night, I used Skype from one Fiesta 2 to call Google Voice on another Fiesta 2 several times. Same problem. Later I used Google Voice from one Fiesta 2 to call Google Voice on another Fiesta 2 for over an hour without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    On a side note, have you compared Skype international calling prices to Viber Out or Google Voice? The last time I checked, and unless something has changed, Skype pricing for calling real phone #s was quite a bit higher, and both Viber Out and Google Voice work very well over WiFI.
    Yes, Skype isn't cheap if you have to pay for it. I get it free by using Microsoft Rewards points to pay for it. That means I have to live with the Edge browser and Bing search engine. I can accumulate enough points in three months easily for a three month Skype unlimited subscription (8000 points). If I am diligent enough, a month and a half would get me those points.

Feedback Score
    As a backup, if you activate service on the Fiesta, Tracfone has inexpensive international rates. Many destinations are included at no extra cost in their "Basic" ILD. Per minute rates with the $10 card for other destinations are among the cheapest. Call quality is very good when I use it to call Germany.

http://extras.tracfone.com/en/ild#bi-destinations
    Last edited by oax; 05-04-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: removed bogus link

Feedback Score
    I followed the link to download the same version of Skype on the LG G3 and installed. Have run two tests now, 33 minutes and 41 minutes respectively, and have not encountered the problem yet. I will install this particular version on another Fiesta 2 and do more tests. Thanks, Boz1, for the suggestion. The version of Skype is 8.37.0.98, released back in Jan. 2019, in case anyone cares.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have an Alcatel myFlip phone, on which I can't install apps (Skype, Google Voice, etc), and have the ILD# in the contact list so that I can make international calls with existing minutes. This phone have accumulated more than 9000 minutes now after I transferred the two Fiesta 2s' bundled minutes to it.

Feedback Score
    I just downgrade the second Fiesta 2's Skype app to version 8.37.0.98 and ran through the same test for 46 minutes without the one-way audio problem. The two phones will be used exclusively for Skype, and sometimes Google Voice, at home so I will freeze their apps and Android software as it has now. No updates until something is broken.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I just downgrade the second Fiesta 2's Skype app to version 8.37.0.98 and ran through the same test for 46 minutes without the one-way audio problem. The two phones will be used exclusively for Skype, and sometimes Google Voice, at home so I will freeze their apps and Android software as it has now. No updates until something is broken.
    I'm glad that older Skype app version worked out for you, Rick880!