Thread: Data roaming on iphone On or Off while in US ?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Data roaming on iphone On or Off while in US ?

Looking for real world examples for data roaming on or off for iphone while in US. Please don’t mention international roaming, only in US.
    Does data roaming make a difference while in US with coverage ? say you are in area and you turn it on and it help with the reception/ signal
    You turn it off and does not help.
    Or the other way around.
    Not looking for opinions.
    Only looking for real experience while in US if turning data roaming on or off helped or did not help with coverage, signal, etc on your iphone. Please see screenshot below.
    Appreciated.Name:  IMG_0548.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  16.9 KB
    Last edited by mm18; 05-04-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    There are a few more rural places where data will roam on AT&T. It’s very limited these days, both in occurrence and you’re also limited to like 100MB per month.

My latest examples are tobacco country in NC (where I was routed to avoid I-95 traffic on my way down to Myrtle Beach) and some camp up in the Pocanos in rural PA where my daughter spent a week for a sports camp.

Otherwise I am not a great example since I live in a NYC suburb and travel mostly to densely populated areas.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Data roaming on iphone On or Off while in US ?

Also, there are areas where US Cellular LTE coverage is available and considered roaming for T-Mobile customers. As they tend to be more rural than T-Mobile you may come across it in the Midwest/Plains off US highways.

You may or may not be able to do calls in those areas, as VoLTE is not 100% complete on US Cellular and USCC’s backup is CDMA, but data should work.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With my old LG 4 I would keep my Data Roaming off to save battery and I had good service from T-Mobile. With my new S9 the battery is much better than the LG 4 that was done by 6pm without a booter charge during the day. Don't remember if I switched my S9 to No Roaming but I have never seen it Roaming. If the battery is good all day I see no point of avoiding Roaming if it is ever needed in my travel. However I will also point out my S9 gives me much better reception than my old LG 4. Again I haven't lost T-Mobile native service in years.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    if you travel by driving across states you do need cell or data roaming for other providers.
    Example, I live in Texas.. if I drive from Austin to El Paso, I will be in T-mobile, West Central Wireless, Cellular One, Plateau Wireless and back to T-mobile. Without national roaming, you will not have wireless coverage or data access to local or rural wireless. So have it ON all the time.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I agree that in the US leave data roaming on always.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....