Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Samsung J7 Crown @ $100

I have been buying used phones for 4 years. The last is a pure Google Pixel 2XL. Paid $425 used. It's a great phone but I think I'm wasting money trying to "keep up withe the jonses". Tracfone has a Samsung Galaxy J7 crown for $100. I think this phone would be every as bit s good as my Pixel. I bought the Pixel because I wanted a pure Google phone. Question: What is bad about buying a Tracfone? Are they loaded with junk? Would I be able to remove the SIM and use it in Mexico? Advise please Scholars.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I know I got my J7 Crown S767VL during Black Friday. I think I am going to use it for a while since it is lot faster then the J7 Sky Pro S727VL. In my opinion, the only reason to buy a phone from a Tracfone company is you don't have to fight with the IMEI issues with the BYOP system if you have IMEI issues, but I am just going by what I have seen with a few people and since I have only used Verizon based SIMs too. The only extra software that is on the phones that I can see myself is a Tracfone Wi-Fi Utility and an Account app.

I would not know about the Mexico question tho.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Question: What is bad about buying a Tracfone? Are they loaded with junk? Would I be able to remove the SIM and use it in Mexico?
    1. TF-branded phone tends to get few/no operating system upgrades/patches. Some Moto models do get the updates directly from Moto (via WiFi).
    2. They do come with some preloaded apps (Facebook, Instagram, etc); they cannot be uninstalled, but they can be disabled. The amount of storage they take up isn't a big issue.
    3. TF-branded phones are SIM locked to TF and its subsidiaries (until you get it unlocked after 12 months of paid service). If you want to use it it Mexico, you probably have to buy a SIM from a TF-subsidiary that will work in Mexico. A forum member had done that; I think he bought the SIM in the US and got it activated prior to his trip.

The advantages of buying a TF-branded are:
    1. Their cost is low, especially if bundled with units and days, or with the coupons on TF web site.
    2. TF-branded phones currently are offered some add-ons that BYOP don't get.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Samsung J7 Crown is $100 on TF web site. If you buy it together with a $15 time card, total $115, it'll automatically take $25 OFF, bringing the total down to $90.

HSN also has a J7 bundled with 1-yr and 1500/1500/1500 for $140.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The Samsung J7 Crown is $100 on TF web site. If you buy it together with a $15 time card, total $115, it'll automatically take $25 OFF, bringing the total down to $90.
    Or use the new code INSTANT30 and it'll take 30% ($34.50) OFF, down to $80.49.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    3. TF-branded phones are SIM locked to TF and its subsidiaries (until you get it unlocked after 12 months of paid service).
    Sorry I still have some confusion here. Here’s my facts after several SIM swaps, activity in the past 4 months.

BYOD TF/Vzw into a ZTE TF branded flip I bought on ebay. Activated on PP.
    New Tracfone branded MyFlip activated on PP with Sim that came in the phone.
    Moved the ZTE BYOD Sim to the MyFlip.
    Moved the MyFlip SIM to a Verizon branded LG K4 bought on ebay.
    Transferred (swapped) the phone numbers between the K4 and a 3G (no sim/also active on PP) phone.

On the PP checker all phones (using phone numbers) are showing “unlocked”.
    All phones the SIMs are currently in showing correct IMEI with PP. (I mentioned in other threads how PP told me they auto update IMEIs the SIMs are in.
    But where’s the whole “locked” come into play since I activated that original new TF branded MyFlip/SIM and everythings showing unlocked?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Sorry I still have some confusion here. Here’s my facts after several SIM swaps, activity in the past 4 months.

On the PP checker all phones (using phone numbers) are showing “unlocked”.

But where’s the whole “locked” come into play since I activated that original new TF branded MyFlip/SIM and everythings showing unlocked?
    I don't know about the PP checker.

Take a SIM from a provider that is NOT in the Tracfone Family and put that SIM into your TF-branded phone. If the phone was not unlocked by TF, it'll say "Invalid SIM card " (or something similar).

The screenshot below shows what happened when I put a Ting/T-mobile SIM into my TF-branded BOGO Fiesta 2 which came with a TF/T-mobile SIM. Although both SIMs use T-mobile service, Ting is not a company in Tracfone Family, so the SIM card was not accepted. If I had used the BOGO Fiesta 2 for 12 months on TF service and got TF to unlock it, then it would accept the Ting/T-mobile SIM and I could use the phone with Ting service.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-05-Invalid-SIM-card.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  71.5 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't know about the PP checker.

Take a SIM from a provider that is NOT in the Tracfone Family and put that SIM into your TF-branded phone. If the phone was not unlocked by TF, it'll say "Invalid SIM card "
    So it's the TF branded phone (IMEI) that's locked, not the SIM ?

I'm free to sell any of the phones in the steam except maybe the MyFlip till it's unlocked?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So it's the TF branded phone (IMEI) that's locked, not the SIM ?

I'm free to sell any of the phones in the steam except maybe the MyFlip till it's unlocked?
    It's the phone that's locked, not the IMEI or the SIM. The firmware of the phone was programmed to reject any SIM that's not in the TF family. When it's eligible for unlocking, TF sends you some code to enter into the phone and disables/bypasses the lock. When you buy a phone that's "subsidized" by the provider (TF-branded phones, AT&T Prepaid phones, Verizon Prepaid phones, etc), the provider wants to recoup some of their costs so they lock the phone and it can only be used with their service for a period of time or until you've paid a "ransom" (I think Verizon charges $75 to unlock if you haven't met the required months in service).

You're free to sell any of your phones, locked or unlocked. Lots of people buy used TF-branded phones to use with TF service, so the fact that the phone is locked to TF isn't a problem.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You're free to sell any of your phones, locked or unlocked. Lots of people buy used TF-branded phones to use with TF service, so the fact that the phone is locked to TF isn't a problem.
    So since it's the phone I guess basically it is the IMEI, since that is the phone.

I've read in other threads that if you don't change the IMEI in TFs system when doing a SIM swap; if you ever sell the old phone and the new owner activates it; it could deactivate the phone the SIM is currently in since it's still tied to the old phone IMEI. (?)

I know this thread isn't specifically about this topic but things overlap allot in threads and touch on these things. Just trying to put all the pieces together. Thx.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    1. So since it's the phone I guess basically it is the IMEI, since that is the phone.

2. I've read in other threads that if you don't change the IMEI in TFs system when doing a SIM swap; if you ever sell the old phone and the new owner activates it; it could deactivate the phone the SIM is currently in since it's still tied to the old phone IMEI. (?)
    Those are two completely unrelated things.
    1. A locked phone will only accepts SIMs from a provider that it was programmed to accept. Its IMEI has no part in it.
    2. What you read is correct. But you cannot change the IMEI/SIM pairing yourself. A rep has to pair the IMEI with a new SIM in TF system when a new SIM is used to replaced an deactivated, broken, or lost one.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    2. What you read is correct. But you cannot change the IMEI/SIM pairing yourself. A rep has to pair the IMEI with a new SIM in TF system when a new SIM is used to replaced an deactivated, broken, or lost one.
    I read the similar comments in the SIM Swapping thread. Some things still aren't 100% jelling. Maybe another analogy will do it...lol. I'll bounce things around in my head some more and since the OP of this thread is really unrelated to the whole SIM swapping and IMEI/SIM pairing I'll follow up in the SIM Swapping thread. Thx for your patience.

Device(s)
    LG V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky, LG Power
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    it's not a bad phone, I've considered getting it, octa core and 13mp rear as well as 13mp front cams, I heard samsung's ui has gotten a lot slimmed down compared to the "lagwhiz" it was known as years ago. Also has facial recognition from a youtube video review I watched awhile back, didn't see that spec ever mentioned anywhere else really

another youtube review of the cheaper smaller j3 orbit galaxy phone talked about being able to move apps or app data to the sd card so maybe the j7 crown can, that's a big rarity these days in the android world, heard that got all but axed years ago when Kitkat came out

edit- and yeah, I do really feel like it's wasted money personally getting new flagships every year to keep up with people. My phones are all 2+ years old statistically speaking, some nearly 4 years old in the iphone 6S case.