Thread: Cricket WIFI calling ?

Feedback Score

Cricket WIFI calling ?

Is wifi calling on Cricket Wireless (ATT) switched over based on cellular signal strength (cellular preferred) or is it prioritized based on availability of WIFI (WIFI preferred) ? Is there any way it set it to WIFI preferred (phone is a Cricket Wireless branded Moto E5 Play Cruise ) - Thanks
    Last edited by bamx2; 05-05-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    Is wifi calling on Cricket Wireless (ATT) switched over based on cellular signal strength (cellular preferred) or is it prioritized based on availability of WIFI (WIFI preferred) ? Is there any way it set it to WIFI preferred (phone is a Cricket Wireless branded Moto E5 Play Cruise ) - Thanks
    My wifi calling is based on if I am on a WiFi Network. If I’m on WiFi it calls off WiFi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    On the iPhone side of things, which usually follows the carrier's default policy, Cricket is like AT&T where it's cellular-preferred. In my experience, on iPhones, T-Mobile was Wi-Fi-preferred, so different carriers can certainly have a default preference. I wonder if on Cricket-branded devices, it's dictated that way.

Feedback Score
    After experimenting around with my Cricket Moto E Cruise a bit, it does appear that it is WIFI calling cellular preferred and there is no way for me to change it This unfortunate in my particular situation with problematic indoor service with all 4 networks at this location. It seems that my choices would be to port my number google voice and use hangouts, buy a signal booster/repeater/ other similar device or switch to T-mobile/Metro PCS (WIFI calling preferred). The down side with switching to T-mobile is their network coverage is not good fit for me I don't understand ATT/ Cricket' s logic in this as WIFI calling reduces load on the network saving them $.

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    On the iPhone side of things, which usually follows the carrier's default policy, Cricket is like AT&T where it's cellular-preferred. In my experience, on iPhones, T-Mobile was Wi-Fi-preferred, so different carriers can certainly have a default preference. I wonder if on Cricket-branded devices, it's dictated that way.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    After experimenting around with my Cricket Moto E Cruise a bit, it does appear that it is WIFI calling cellular preferred and there is no way for me to change it This unfortunate in my particular situation with problematic indoor service with all 4 networks at this location. It seems that my choices would be to port my number google voice and use hangouts, buy a signal booster/repeater/ other similar device or switch to T-mobile/Metro PCS (WIFI calling preferred). The down side with switching to T-mobile is their network coverage is not good fit for me I don't understand ATT/ Cricket' s logic in this as WIFI calling reduces load on the network saving them $.
    You can always put your phone in airplane mode to avoid cellular calls and leave WiFi on. I actually live in a poor signal area myself and ported to Google Voice years ago before wifi calling was an option. I kind of hate the wifi calling options when I'm not home. It always tries to make a data call when I'm out and have weak wifi, and/or weak LTE. I have manually go in and tell it to use cellular only, then remember to change it back in GV settings when I'm home or I'll miss calls again.
    My wife's phone supports cricket wifi calling and her experience is seemless compared to mine. I think you are better off without GV until they fix their system to only use data calls when data is stronger than Cellular (and never use cellular data for calling!).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    You can always put your phone in airplane mode to avoid cellular calls and leave WiFi on. I actually live in a poor signal area myself and ported to Google Voice years ago before wifi calling was an option. I kind of hate the wifi calling options when I'm not home. It always tries to make a data call when I'm out and have weak wifi, and/or weak LTE. I have manually go in and tell it to use cellular only, then remember to change it back in GV settings when I'm home or I'll miss calls again.
    My wife's phone supports cricket wifi calling and her experience is seemless compared to mine. I think you are better off without GV until they fix their system to only use data calls when data is stronger than Cellular (and never use cellular data for calling!).
    But Google isn't meant to be Wi-Fi calling per say it is voice over IP and those aren't a seamless switch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wrenhal; 05-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Primary), AT&T (Secondary)
    Feedback Score
    I had an issue trying to setup WiFi calling on my parents unlocked iPhone 8 Plus iPhones tonight. I would turn on WiFi calling, agree to the terms, enter my parents residence address and hit verify, then get hit with error oops that shouldn’t have happen please try again if problem persists call 611
    Timmy G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    I had an issue trying to setup WiFi calling on my parents unlocked iPhone 8 Plus iPhones tonight. I would turn on WiFi calling, agree to the terms, enter my parents residence address and hit verify, then get hit with error oops that shouldn’t have happen please try again if problem persists call 611
    does the iphone have all the latest updates ??

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it’s running iOS 12.3.1

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    Yes, it’s running iOS 12.3.1
    So, I had a heck of a time getting it working when I ported my number back to an existing account about a year ago (8 Plus). My account had VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling provisioned (according to the customer service rep I spoke with) and my phone had it working previously. On a whim because I felt like I had exhausted all other options, I bought a new SIM from Target and did the process online to replace the previously one. Immediately that fixed it and it's been working since.

What SIM card are you using? Even though there's some iPhones on my account with the older-style green & white SIMs were working fine, when I came back, I activated one of those I had lying around. Changing to a new all-white one fixed it (they're now selling them in little boxes that look like what you'd get playing cards in).

Here's a post that has the SIM cards side-by-side: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post16848325

Feedback Score
    Since you have a decent amount of posts, have you heard of an app called Tasker? My mother-in-law had the same issue, so I wrote a task that will automatically put the phone into airplane mode when connected to a certain wifi network and put everything back to normal when she leaves the network. It is set up so if you are on a call, it won't run the script when you enter the wifi network. You need Tasker ($3 on the play store) and AutoInput, which I think is free. I'll share the tasker script with you if you want to give it a try. It is all automated if you don't use a screen lock password, but if you trust your indoor location you could set up a smart location unlock and it may work with that.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Now my parents WiFi Calling is working