Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: slow prepaid verizon... how do I fix?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You're subject to deprioritization at all times. So if you are in a congested area you're going to be have slow speeds quite a lot

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Is it laggy on Wi-Fi? If yes, it's the device - maybe a bad app, maybe something else. Remove unneeded apps or do a factory reset.
    no not laggy with wifi but I don't have wifi at home

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Have you tried someone else's device? I'd do something of the sort before I plunked down a wad or tied myself up.
    my mum who is on Tracfone Verizon does not have any problems using data but she only has about 256MB of data per month

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Maybe is time to get a wired internet connection and use WiFi at your house? Seems like the signal there is an issue on any provider. Add de-prioritization to that... and you have those results.

I know that a lot of people move to "unlimited" to get rid of the fixed internet, but the more people (in that area) will move of using data from that tower, the slower that wireless data will get for everyone.
    Especially true in congested areas with de-prioritized services like postpaid or MVNO's.
    getting wired home internet isn't an option here otherwise I would... DSL is the only option and even with my problems 4G LTE is still faster then DSL... we are in an area that is not rual enough for fixed wireless internet from Verizon or AT&T but we are also in an area that doesn't have barly any internet... it suck but I am not able to move any time soon

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You're subject to deprioritization at all times. So if you are in a congested area you're going to be have slow speeds quite a lot
    I need to get away from deprioritization... I would love to get on Verizon Postpaid but I don't know how it works without having any credit

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's clear that the problem isn't your device. If you can't get on Verizon postpaid I'd look at other prepaid services (and a compatible device).If you were considering a new device anyway, I'd explore other services from the start. Verizon tends to be the most expensive service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's clear that the problem isn't your device. If you can't get on Verizon postpaid I'd look at other prepaid services (and a compatible device).If you were considering a new device anyway, I'd explore other services from the start. Verizon tends to be the most expensive service.
    Here is his previous statement about "other" services:
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I do get 2-3 bars here for Verizon so I should be good at least with signal... I only get 1-2 bars of AT&T here at the house, 3G only for t-mobile and Sprint is only roaming ... all of these tests are outside on my property and not inside my house
    Basically Verizon is the most expensive... but it works.
    I need to get away from deprioritization... I would love to get on Verizon Postpaid but I don't know how it works without having any credit
    Sorry, you can't be living in a secluded area a have nice Internet. Probably everyone around you slowly moves on Verizon so you only option for faster Internet is to pay more for postpaid and not be deprioritized.
    Before you do that, check how is the Internet at 2-3AM. Faster? Then definitely is a prioritization issue.
    If not... try calling Verizon support. You alone complaining won't make a difference, but if everyone around you will call... maybe.

it's becoming unusable even at night now
    I would strongly consider DSL at this point. It cannot be worse than "unusable".

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Here is his previous statement about "other" services:

Basically Verizon is the most expensive... but it works.

Sorry, you can't be living in a secluded area a have nice Internet. Probably everyone around you slowly moves on Verizon so you only option for faster Internet is to pay more for postpaid and not be deprioritized.
    Before you do that, check how is the Internet at 2-3AM. Faster? Then definitely is a prioritization issue.
    If not... try calling Verizon support. You alone complaining won't make a difference, but if everyone around you will call... maybe.

I would strongly consider DSL at this point. It cannot be worse than "unusable".
    If Whitieiii gets 2 bars of AT&T LTE unrestricted, that could very well be faster than "2-3 bars" on Verizon deprioritized.

Additionally, assuming Whitieiii did these tests with the mentioned Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8, that device supports the following LTE bands (source):

B2(1900),B3(1800),B4(AWS),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900) ,B13(700),B18(800),B19(800), B20(800),B26(800),B28(700)
    4G TDD LTE: B38(2600),B39(1900),B40(2300),B41(2500)

Missing is support for LTE bands 12, 14, 17, 29, 30 or 66 used by AT&T, and LTE bands 12, 66, 71 used by T-Mobile. It could be that a different device which supports those missing bands would pick up a stronger AT&T LTE signal, or an LTE signal from T-Mobile. If there's T-Mobile band 71 (600 MHz) LTE in that area, that would be ideal, potentially allowing for good signal even indoors.

I do find it strange that T-Mobile would only have 3G in that area, since they've all but turned it off everywhere else. And actually, given that T-Mobile 3G runs up to 42 Mbps (theoretical), even that might be a faster option than Verizon right now, especially if it's a strong signal.

On that note: Whitieiii, is there a way you can find out how many bars of signal you get with T-Mobile, even if it's "3G"?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    1. May not be deprioritization. May just be saturation. The 2-3am test doesn't narrow that down.
    2. Bars are not accurate to totally go by. Download an app like Network Cell Info Lite and get the real stats. Bars sometime differ between phones.
    3. Even with that app note that LTE parameters for a good signal strength are lower (more negative) then old 3G ranges.
    4. Location, location, location. In your house and out. (Coverage maps don't mean everyone in that area.)

If you know someone that has postpaid, how's their phone at your house? Like someone else said...more money for maybe no improvement. Be nice if Carriers gave you a 2 week test period before validating a postpaid contract.
    Last edited by rpz1; 05-09-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Samsung phones activate various bands depending on the actual SIM carrier inserted. They actually reflash the modem.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If Whitieiii gets 2 bars of AT&T LTE unrestricted, that could very well be faster than "2-3 bars" on Verizon deprioritized.

Additionally, assuming Whitieiii did these tests with the mentioned Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8, that device supports the following LTE bands (source):

B2(1900),B3(1800),B4(AWS),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900) ,B13(700),B18(800),B19(800), B20(800),B26(800),B28(700)
    4G TDD LTE: B38(2600),B39(1900),B40(2300),B41(2500)

Missing is support for LTE bands 12, 14, 17, 29, 30 or 66 used by AT&T, and LTE bands 12, 66, 71 used by T-Mobile. It could be that a different device which supports those missing bands would pick up a stronger AT&T LTE signal, or an LTE signal from T-Mobile. If there's T-Mobile band 71 (600 MHz) LTE in that area, that would be ideal, potentially allowing for good signal even indoors.

I do find it strange that T-Mobile would only have 3G in that area, since they've all but turned it off everywhere else. And actually, given that T-Mobile 3G runs up to 42 Mbps (theoretical), even that might be a faster option than Verizon right now, especially if it's a strong signal.

On that note: Whitieiii, is there a way you can find out how many bars of signal you get with T-Mobile, even if it's "3G"?
    With a device that includes every t-mobile band except for band 71 and 66 that I used for testing, I get 1 bar of 3g at my house and 5 miles down the road at the local store I get no bars at all just x even my grandmother who has t-mobile on a t-mobile branded Samsung note 5 gets no usable signal anywhere here... even at my house...

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    At 1 am I did a test and still get 1mbps on att with 2 bars because signal is so low and also at 1 am I get 3mbps on Verizon with 2 bars so I can definitely say for a fact that my att is because of low signal (same speeds as daytime) and my Verizon speeds are because of being deprioritized (faster speeds at night)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    At 1 am I did a test and still get 1mbps on att with 2 bars because signal is so low and also at 1 am I get 3mbps on Verizon with 2 bars so I can definitely say for a fact that my att is because of low signal (same speeds as daytime) and my Verizon speeds are because of being deprioritized (faster speeds at night)

What are you seeing at the top of your phone when using data? 4g? 4g LTE,or 3G?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    What are you seeing at the top of your phone when using data? 4g? 4g LTE,or 3G?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For Verizon 4G LTE and same for AT&T.. I'm testing Verizon in my Verizon s8 and AT&T in my Blackberry Key2

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2