Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile owns 15x15 Mhz on the upper mitt of Michigan and 20x20 Mhz in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan. They aren't going to waste it. We are now 5 months from completing Phase 6 of the 60o Mhz Repack of the TV stations. Also, T-Mobile is going to be deploying 5G NR in just over 6 months. I left Detroit as a child but are there many people in the UP and the top of the Mitt of Michigan? The tower equipment T-Mobile is using has the ability for their other spectrum. However will they need to deploy all of their spectrum especially in the UP to meet the needs of the population?
    Outside of a few places... Probably not. 5x5 on band 12 only is pretty poor. At this point, there are few users on TMobile in the UP. Many areas TMobile never deployed until they had 700MHz, as they only had 5x5 of AWS as well, and deploying rural AWS on 5X5 was worse than roaming on AT&T. I find it ironic that Marquette with a University still has only weak 600MHz from outside the city.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Outside of a few places... Probably not. 5x5 on band 12 only is pretty poor. At this point, there are few users on TMobile in the UP. Many areas TMobile never deployed until they had 700MHz, as they only had 5x5 of AWS as well, and deploying rural AWS on 5X5 was worse than roaming on AT&T. I find it ironic that Marquette with a University still has only weak 600MHz from outside the city.

Well when it was Band 12 only with 5x5 Mhz there was only a total of 10 Mhz. Now Band 12 (5x5 Mhz) plus Band 71 (5x5 Mhz) so even without CA it has doubled the capacity in that area from 10 Mhz to 20 Mhz of spectrum. So there is less possibility of congestion. As soon as all the TV station are repacked that interfere with the Band 71 that T-Mobile owns they will add more bandwidth to the 600 Mhz. I am not a expert but unless they need to add extra Radio heads for each contiguous block of Band 71 it will cost them almost noting to increase the bandwidth with adding new blocks of B71.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In general, I suspect that T-Mobile will keep most 'rural' (out of city) sites in the UP on band 12 + 71 (1 big panel), as band 4 / 2 doesn't do well below the tree canopy, and capacity beyond 10x10 isn't needed... actual coverage is.
    In the so-called cities, T-Mobile 'may' be in a spot of 'use it or lose it' .
    Eg. Sault Ste. Marie, MI has LTE 700 and 3G 1900 deployed on more than 1 site (there is a University there).
    While Kinross - airport has only a 700MHz LTE site, and coverage is too weak typically between Kinross and St. Ignace (the next nearest site), and you end up with a few miles of 'No Service'. Kinross does not need extra capacity.. just better range.
    St. Ignace also only has LTE 700, while Mackinaw City (more touristy side - away from Yuppers) has LTE 700 and 3G 1900 - both counties have the same PCS spectrum allocation. Cheboygan even goes so far to add in AWS LTE.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There are a few spots below Escanaba in Michigan's UP that US Cellular owns the Band 12.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    There are a few spots below Escanaba in Michigan's UP that US Cellular owns the Band 12.
    Yeah - there's quite a few counties in Wisconsin that have more 600MHz than AWS, PCS combined, and no 700MHz at all. Most of that being rural... its all 600MHz currently - or nothing.
    I'll see what I get going up I-75 in June.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Shoot, I forgot to check when I was in DTLA on Monday, but I did check back at my hotel near LAX on Tuesday. I had CA of Bands 2, 4 and 71 if I recall, with 2 being primary and 4/71 being the secondary carriers. I still only pulled about 10Mbps, but I was in the Renaissance hotel a couple of blocks off Century Blvd and 11 stories up (mostly car rental places and parking lots nearby). Pings were low and pages were snappy, so I was fine with that...

If I remember, I can check DTLA next week, as I'll be back there again (and this time staying in the city, right by the Metro Center subway stop), and working out of the US Bank Tower for a couple of days.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Shoot, I forgot to check when I was in DTLA on Monday, but I did check back at my hotel near LAX on Tuesday.
    So far only seeing it at LAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Today at T-2 at LAX, all I saw was Band 4 as primary, with 2/12 aggregation. At the OUE US Bank Tower during a couple of different tests today, I had the same bands both on the Ground level and about a dozen floors up.

At my hotel near the Metro Center this evening I have Band 66, with 2/12 aggregation. I will be here for a couple of more days, and will report back if I see anything with Band 71...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't catch any in Hollywood this week.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't see much B71 on my drive thru the LA area a couple weeks ago, but the few I saw were 10MHz wide vs. the 5 back home. Looks like cell-mapper added the ones I found. There's one on the point just past Ventura on the 101 and another in Carpinteria. I took the 405 to the 101 so I didn't go thru downtown itself. And the drive back from Santa Barbara on Friday at 2pm was "fun." 4:40 drive, wow.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Really this thread is 20 days old from the First reports of any Band 71 in LA. So many here are acting like 20 days is enough time to build out the whole area with Band 71. Really LA has a ton of TV station interferences plus it takes a lot of time just to get local & state goverment permission to upgrade a single tower with all the NIMBY people. Depending on the outcome of the merger this is years of work just in LA and surrounding areas.

I got B71 about 50 miles from me and I wake up every morning with hope for B71 in my area but it is coming.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I didn't see much B71 on my drive thru the LA area a couple weeks ago, but the few I saw were 10MHz wide vs. the 5 back home. Looks like cell-mapper added the ones I found. There's one on the point just past Ventura on the 101 and another in Carpinteria. I took the 405 to the 101 so I didn't go thru downtown itself. And the drive back from Santa Barbara on Friday at 2pm was "fun." 4:40 drive, wow.
    By meaning 101 & Ventura, are you referring to Woodland Hills ?
    I won't be in LA until first weeks of June, and mid June driving out to Cambria (will hit B71 by Santa Maria).
    I suspect the 'few' sites that are showing 10MHz of band 71 are there because they "really" need the spectrum and are really localized (LAX / Hollywood / DLTA areas). I've seen others on cellmapper showing as 5MHz.... they'll deploy 'as needed'.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    By meaning 101 & Ventura, are you referring to Woodland Hills ?
    I won't be in LA until first weeks of June, and mid June driving out to Cambria (will hit B71 by Santa Maria).
    I suspect the 'few' sites that are showing 10MHz of band 71 are there because they "really" need the spectrum and are really localized (LAX / Hollywood / DLTA areas). I've seen others on cellmapper showing as 5MHz.... they'll deploy 'as needed'.
    The site I mentioned is here:

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...orColours=true

It's site #88656, if the link doesn't work.

And I know, shilo, I didn't mean to complain. I know it's going to take years, if ever; too many NIMBY's...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

And I know, shilo, I didn't mean to complain. I know it's going to take years, if ever; too many NIMBY's...
    Lol Ventura as in Ventura County.. Not Ventura Blvd.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Falcon_73 you weren't complaining... I just wanted to remind people this was only three weeks ago when the first B71 rolled out in LA. I am frustrated also that Miami has B71 but Boca Raton area hasn't been touched. With Lart2150 only updating his map once a month the days are dragging.

Well the new mmWave Auction has concluded today including all the auction and the spectrum selection but I haven't seen any results of who won what but as soon as they have phones for mmWave we can all start to search for that with 5G NR.

It’s a wrap: FCC concludes first set of high-band auctions, raising $2.7B

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast