Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Help finding a new MVNO

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0

    Help finding a new MVNO

    My wife and I have been using Tracfone for years and she's currently (hopefully short-term) in a nursing home about an hour away. Neither one of us have ever used any minutes before so I wasn't sure how we'd get along with Tracfone and a higher call volume. We have a landline at home and I always have her call me on it saving my mobile minutes.

    Anyway I bought her 1500 minutes back in April and in 18 days she's used 500 minutes so that's not going to work for us... just too expensive. I've did a little research but I don't know enough about the in's & out's of each plan so I don't want to make a mistake. I'd rather have you phone guys tell me which is the best for me... I'm hoping for an easy transition to a new MVNO.

    https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home
    https://www.totalwireless.com/
    https://www.usmobile.com/
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/
    Other's??

    1. Needs to allow Bring Your Own Phone
    2. Moto G5 Plus needs to be compatible
    3. Be nice to port over number
    4. Needs to work on Verizon Network
    5. Coverage needs to be at least as good as Tracfones for my area 67058 & 67026
    6. I’m needing unlimited talk… and a tiny bit of data
    7. Like monthly price to be around $30 or under
    8. When a monthly plan says so much a month is that without tax or do they even add tax?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,557
    Feedback Score
    0
    boom mobile red (Verizon) - https://boom.us/plans/individual unlimited talk & text & 2 GB data 29.99 /mo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,369
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm sure other members will have suggestions, but take a look at https://www.net10wireless.com/ which is in the TF family. They allow BYOP and have SIMs for AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. Their plans are on a 30-day basis. You buy a card and redeem it just like with Tracfone, you can add multiple cards at a time and it will use the next card in the "reserve" when 30 days are up, or just add a card every 30 days. Since your wife will hopefully be in the nursing home temporarily, don't buy/add too many cards yet.

    Net10's cheapest plane is $20/month with unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. The next plan is $35/month with unlimited talk/text and 4GB of data. https://www.net10wireless.com/serviceplan?session=reset.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,927
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're up to pay up front VZW backbone UT&T 1GB Red Pocket Mobile eBay Item# 131826932370.
    $205 for 360 days.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

    Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,882
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    My wife and I have been using Tracfone for years and she's currently (hopefully short-term) in a nursing home about an hour away. Neither one of us have ever used any minutes before so I wasn't sure how we'd get along with Tracfone and a higher call volume. We have a landline at home and I always have her call me on it saving my mobile minutes.

    Anyway I bought her 1500 minutes back in April and in 18 days she's used 500 minutes so that's not going to work for us... just too expensive. I've did a little research but I don't know enough about the in's & out's of each plan so I don't want to make a mistake. I'd rather have you phone guys tell me which is the best for me... I'm hoping for an easy transition to a new MVNO.

    https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home
    https://www.totalwireless.com/
    https://www.usmobile.com/
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/
    Other's??

    1. Needs to allow Bring Your Own Phone
    2. Moto G5 Plus needs to be compatible
    3. Be nice to port over number
    4. Needs to work on Verizon Network
    5. Coverage needs to be at least as good as Tracfones for my area 67058 & 67026
    6. I’m needing unlimited talk… and a tiny bit of data
    7. Like monthly price to be around $30 or under
    8. When a monthly plan says so much a month is that without tax or do they even add tax?
    If the phone is unlocked and/or Vzw compatible, which can be checked at https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/, it can be used on any Vzw MVNO. The Moto G5 Plus should be compatible with any Vzw MVNO.

    If you want to pay monthly or every 30 days, I might suggest Red Pocket UT&T+1GB for $19/30 days with autopay or 1,000/Unlimited/1GB for $15/30 days. See https://www.redpocket.com/plans.

    If you want to save a little more by paying for 360 days up front, the cost is $17.08/30 days and $14.08/30 days, respectively. See https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay. Those plans are available only via eBay, but they do go on sale sometimes, and there are also sometimes eBay coupons available that can make them even cheaper.

    I hope your wife gets better soon. Being in a nursing home an hour away is rough!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0
    Oh gosh I had no idea there were all these other MVNO's out even more confusing than ever.

    I'm thinking we'll want to pay monthly like a auto fill or auto draw type plan so we can sign up and just forget about it.

    Do all MVNO using Verizon have the same identical coverage?

    Noticed the Red Pocket Mobile yearly plan on eBay that zapjb mentioned say with Unlimited Talk but down in the description says 1000 minutes each month. Is this common for companies to say Unlimited Talk and then put a cap on the minutes?

    How about using Hot Spot with these plans I know my wife used this once or twice when her internet went down?
    Last edited by mike2874; 05-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,882
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    Oh gosh I had no idea there were all these other MVNO's out even more confusing than ever.

    I'm thinking we'll want to pay monthly like a auto fill or auto draw type plan so we can sign up and just forget about it.

    Do all MVNO using Verizon have the same identical coverage?

    Noticed the Red Pocket Mobile yearly plan on eBay that zapjb mentioned say with Unlimited Talk but down in the description says 1000 minutes each month. Is this common for companies to say Unlimited Talk and then put a cap on the minutes?

    How about using Hot Spot with these plans I know my wife used this once or twice when her internet went down?
    The RP eBay listing is probably a mistake. However, it has been reported if you use an excessive amount of minutes, like over 5,000, it might be an issue. At this time, unless a sale or eBay coupon pops up, I would encourage you to start out month to month, since the 360 day plan 30 day cost equivalent isn't that much less than paying every 30 days for the two Red Pocket plans I mentioned above. Obviously, if you talk more than an average of 33 minutes/day, the 1,000 minute plan won't be a good fit, and you'd want to go up to the unlimited plan I mentioned above.

    Any Vzw MVNO will have coverage at least equal to what you're getting with a smartphone on TF.

    Somebody else will have to answer about hotspot, as I've never tried to use hotspot on any cellular phone or plan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The RP eBay listing is probably a mistake. However, it has been reported if you use an excessive amount of minutes, like over 5,000, it might be an issue. At this time, unless a sale or eBay coupon pops up, I would encourage you to start out month to month, since the 360 day plan 30 day cost equivalent isn't that much less than paying every 30 days for the two Red Pocket plans I mentioned above. Obviously, if you talk more than an average of 33 minutes/day, the 1,000 minute plan won't be a good fit, and you'd want to go up to the unlimited plan I mentioned above.

    Any Vzw MVNO will have coverage at least equal to what you're getting with a smartphone on TF.

    Somebody else will have to answer about hotspot, as I've never tried to use hotspot on any cellular phone or plan.
    Boz1 thanks for answering my questions!

    I just did a chat with both Red Pocket & Boom Mobile and only the latter supports Hot Spot on Verizon with an Android. Think I'm kind of leaning toward Boom Mobile because of that... should I have any issues with BYOP and porting over my wife's phone number?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,882
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    Boz1 thanks for answering my questions!

    I just did a chat with both Red Pocket & Boom Mobile and only the latter supports Hot Spot on Verizon with an Android. Think I'm kind of leaning toward Boom Mobile because of that... should I have any issues with BYOP and porting over my wife's phone number?
    No. boom! is a good company, as far as I've been able to tell over the years. By the way, boom! does offer an UT&T+1GB LTE plan for $24.99/30 days, if you're interested, which is only $6/30 days more than the RP UT&T+1GB LTE plan I mentioned above.

    Regarding Red Pocket hotspot, it looks like https://help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-u...-Pocket-plans- was just updated 4 days ago, so hopefully the info below is accurate. It seems to be the opposite of boom! for Android vs iPhone. Note that CDMA is the Vzw network.

    Are Tethering and Hotspot services included with Red Pocket plans?
    4 days ago· Updated
    Yes! Tethering and Hotspot services are included with all Red Pocket plans.
    IMPORTANT: Tethering and Hotspot service availability will vary depending on the network and device.
    GSMA: Tethering and Hotspot services are supported on Android devices. These services are not compatible with iOS devices at this time on this network while using cellular data. Contact support to enable this services.
    CDMA: Tethering is supported on all iOS devices. Please contact support to enable these services on your account for free!
    GSMT/CDMAS: Tethering is supported on both Android and iOS Devices.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    No. boom! is a good company, as far as I've been able to tell over the years. By the way, boom! does offer an UT&T+1GB LTE plan for $24.99/30 days, if you're interested, which is only $6/30 days more than the RP UT&T+1GB LTE plan I mentioned above.

    Regarding Red Pocket hotspot, it looks like https://help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-u...-Pocket-plans- was just updated 4 days ago, so hopefully the info below is accurate. It seems to be the opposite of boom! for Android vs iPhone. Note that CDMA is the Vzw network.

    Are Tethering and Hotspot services included with Red Pocket plans?
    4 days ago· Updated
    Yes! Tethering and Hotspot services are included with all Red Pocket plans.
    IMPORTANT: Tethering and Hotspot service availability will vary depending on the network and device.
    GSMA: Tethering and Hotspot services are supported on Android devices. These services are not compatible with iOS devices at this time on this network while using cellular data. Contact support to enable this services.
    CDMA: Tethering is supported on all iOS devices. Please contact support to enable these services on your account for free!
    GSMT/CDMAS: Tethering is supported on both Android and iOS Devices.
    Yes the $24.99 monthly plan is the one I thought might work for us definitively a better deal for my wife than Tracfone. What you posted about RP’s support for tethering is exactly what they told me.

    All this information you guys provided is very useful so now just need for my wife to use up her remaining 1000 minutes and then I’ll switch her over. Thanks!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    166
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    Yes the $24.99 monthly plan is the one I thought might work for us definitively a better deal for my wife than Tracfone. What you posted about RP’s support for tethering is exactly what they told me.

    All this information you guys provided is very useful so now just need for my wife to use up her remaining 1000 minutes and then I’ll switch her over. Thanks!
    I think eBay has or had a $10 coupon for purchases of $30 or more. May want to buy the plan now. They are good for a year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,531
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do you believe your Wife`s usage may sometimes be lower?
    If so you may not be aware of Tracfone`s NEW minute's only service add on card available online and the Tracfone app. It is offered with BYOP.
    $10 for 500 minutes/no days (not available with auto refill)
    https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 05-06-2019 at 04:08 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    7,817
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Pretty sure RP will allow Hot Spot on CDMA/Verizon. The issue is turning it on with Verizon branded phones. Most try to connect to Verizon for permission and that fails with MVNOs.

    Her G5+ should work fine as it's not a carrier branded phone.


    The biggest issue switching to Boom! or Red Pocket is getting a SIM. I've never seen their SIMs in stores. So you need to order in advance so it can be shipped.

    One not discussed is TW. The $25/mo plan plus a data addon that rolls over forever. $23.7 with auto-refill + taxes.

    You can use any TF brand Verizon SIM (TF, TW, ST, NT) and those can be bought locally for $1. You might already have a spare.

    While bot officially supported, Hot Spot works fine on unbranded phones, same as with TF.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Pretty sure RP will allow Hot Spot on CDMA/Verizon. The issue is turning it on with Verizon branded phones. Most try to connect to Verizon for permission and that fails with MVNOs.

    Her G5+ should work fine as it's not a carrier branded phone.


    The biggest issue switching to Boom! or Red Pocket is getting a SIM. I've never seen their SIMs in stores. So you need to order in advance so it can be shipped.

    One not discussed is TW. The $25/mo plan plus a data addon that rolls over forever. $23.7 with auto-refill + taxes.

    You can use any TF brand Verizon SIM (TF, TW, ST, NT) and those can be bought locally for $1. You might already have a spare.

    While bot officially supported, Hot Spot works fine on unbranded phones, same as with TF.
    By TW I’m assuming you mean Total Wireless and that was mentioned in my original post but until now no one had commented on it. Would you recommend it over Boom Mobile since you say I can use any TF brand Verizon SIM?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    5,820
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    By TW I’m assuming you mean Total Wireless and that was mentioned in my original post but until now no one had commented on it. Would you recommend it over Boom Mobile since you say I can use any TF brand Verizon SIM?
    Total Wireless looks like the worst choice if you don't need much data. Compare to Page Plus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. sick of nokia 6610, help find a new phone!!
    By phoenixburn in forum Mobile Phone Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 07:33 AM
  2. Need help finding a new phone!
    By teufe178 in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
  3. I Need Help Finding A New Phone
    By Sikskillz84 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 08:51 AM
  4. Help Finding a new phone
    By rdmclark in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 09:00 AM
  5. Need help finding a new phone...
    By okies8472 in forum Mobile Phone Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks