Thread: Consumer Cellular Question

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular Question

Hi All,

So I have Consumer Cellular service with three lines. Two of the lines are using unlocked phones purchased elsewhere. I want to purchase an iPhone 7 from CC and activate it but then not use it under CC. If it is activated under CC and the account/line it was purchased under stays active, will putting a Verizon sim in it be a problem?

It's an odd situation where my mother is on Verizon with other family members and I cannot switch her to our service but she desperately needs an iPhone. She struggles so much with her always changing Android phones. My brother has this weird hate of iPhones and won't get her one.

I guess the question is: if the phone is activated, can sims from other networks work? I know it's compatible with Verizon network so that's not an issue. If a phone is activated, you can always sim swap, right? e.g. you're traveling overseas...

Thanks,
    DD

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    First, an iPhone 7 sold for a traditionally GSM network is usually the wrong version to work on the Vzw or Sprint network. At least that's how it was when the iPhone 7 was first released.

See https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/AT-a...n/td-p/5580404:
    "The ATT model of the iPhone 7, 8 and X does not have any CDMA radios and won’t fully work on Verizon or Sprint. You might get service occasionally when on LTE but no telling when or where. You need a different phone."

I don't know if the above has changed since Vzw is eliminating CDMA, so make sure you research that to see what version it is and whether or not it will really work on Vzw currently.

Second, phones sold by MVNOs are usually SIM locked for a certain period of usage on that MVNO. Check to see what the usage requirement is on CC. It might be a lot shorter than some other MVNOs, but I can't remember for sure.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    First, an iPhone 7 sold for a traditionally GSM network is usually the wrong version to work on the Vzw or Sprint network. At least that's how it was when the iPhone 7 was first released.

See https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/AT-a...n/td-p/5580404:
    "The ATT model of the iPhone 7, 8 and X does not have any CDMA radios and won’t fully work on Verizon or Sprint. You might get service occasionally when on LTE but no telling when or where. You need a different phone."

I don't know if the above has changed since Vzw is eliminating CDMA, so make sure you research that to see what version it is and whether or not it will really work on Vzw currently.

Second, phones sold by MVNOs are usually SIM locked for a certain period of usage on that MVNO. Check to see what the usage requirement is on CC. It might be a lot shorter than some other MVNOs, but I can't remember for sure.
    Yes, I've checked. Model A1660 is compatible with Verizon. So a sim-locked phone cannot be used with any other carrier even if it is active on a current account with the original carrier?

I talked to CC and they said I can return the phone even if it is open. So I am going to be experimenting and will update.

EDIT: They seemed to not know if it would work. I gave them the hypothetical of if I was traveling international, could I use a different sim and they said yes. I said my work uses Verizon for international and they said they were not sure if it would work. My understanding is they want to be sure that I maintain service for six months. So long as my account is active that long, why would they care? If I canceled, they could just charge me a fee, right?

Feedback Score
    Consumer Cellular IPhones have their own apple activation policy.

You can’t even stick a ATT sim inside the phone.

The text below is from a partial GSX report from an IPhone 6S that I was going to buy.

As for the CDMA being active then you would need to purchase a fully unlocked phone from Apple or Verizon to make sure that you get full coverage. Otherwise you will only get LTE service where available.

A cheap way to get an IPhone 7 would be to purchase one on ATT prepay and stick it on the $2 dollar daily plan, put $25 dollars every 89 days then place an unlock request after 6 months to get the phone unlocked free.

I’m waiting to do this after purchasing a 6S in the 2018 Black Friday event for $99 plus $50 top up at time of purchase.

GSX policy for IPhone 6S. IMEI and other personal info removed.

Initial Activation Policy ID: 2212
    MEID:
    Activation Policy Description: US Consumer Cellular Blocked Policy
    IMEI:
    Applied Activation Policy ID:
    Part Description: iPhone 6s
    Applied Activation Policy Description:
    Product Version: Unknown
    Next Tether Policy ID: 2212
    Last Restore Date:
    Next Tether Activation Policy Description: US Consumer Cellular Blocked Policy
    Bluetooth MAC Address:
    First Unbrick Date:
    Last Unbrick Date:
    Unbricked:

Unlocked: false

Unlock Date:

Quote Originally Posted by emcdemc View Post
    Yes, I've checked. Model A1660 is compatible with Verizon. So a sim-locked phone cannot be used with any other carrier even if it is active on a current account with the original carrier?

I talked to CC and they said I can return the phone even if it is open. So I am going to be experimenting and will update.

EDIT: They seemed to not know if it would work. I gave them the hypothetical of if I was traveling international, could I use a different sim and they said yes. I said my work uses Verizon for international and they said they were not sure if it would work. My understanding is they want to be sure that I maintain service for six months. So long as my account is active that long, why would they care? If I canceled, they could just charge me a fee, right?

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular Question

Another option, albeit pricey, if you want to buy new is to buy full price from the verizon wireless prepaid site ($450+tax for an iPhone 7), then activate with a new number and load $150 on to that account. After you load it, you can go to chat afterwards and request an unlock from VZW chat and they can unlock it for you within a day or two. That worked for me with an SE.

This depends on if the line for your mom is a prepaid or postpaid line. What I mentioned works for a postpaid line. Otherwise, if it is a prepaid line, you can just swap sim cards if you don't need to unlock it but it should just work.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo
    Last edited by jboard55; 05-07-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Depends on if it is a postpaid or prepaid line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aclondon View Post
    $25 dollars every 89 days then place an unlock request after 6 months to get the phone unlocked free.
    $25 every 89 days? AT&T is so smart to make sure that you pay $25 x 3 = $75 as the unlock fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    $25 every 89 days? AT&T is so smart to make sure that you pay $25 x 3 = $75 as the unlock fee.
    Maybe you can put on $10 for 30 days after 2 renewals. $60.

I'm in the process of doing this to unlock another phone. I sure get a lot of robocalls (I presume, I haven't answered any) on that new number. As long as I don't answer, I don't get the $2/day charge.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    An unlocked iPhone 7 (SIM-free), 32GB version, is $450 directly from Apple. Works perfectly with any carrier. No need of playing games with unlocking...
    It's even cheaper if you trade in other phone, they gave me $150 for my daughter old iPhone 6.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    An unlocked iPhone 7 (SIM-free), 32GB version, is $450 directly from Apple. Works perfectly with any carrier. No need of playing games with unlocking...
    It's even cheaper if you trade in other phone, they gave me $150 for my daughter old iPhone 6.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7
    And they even have refurbished for even cheaper than that on the site.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4s W10M, Alcatel Pop 4+
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop LTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emcdemc View Post

Please update us when you get the phone.

FYI, I bought a CC iPhone 7 in Feb for my wife's line. Prior to the sale the CSR on chat told me they only sold the GSM version. However the one we received was the universal model. My understanding is that CC requires that specific phone to be on their service for six months before unlocking; my online account is able to tell when I've switched a line to a new phone, they do notice if the actual phone is not on their service.

FWIW, I was able to get an open-box version of the 7 for $50 off their list price = $250 plus tax.
    Last edited by Mr. D.; 05-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...