Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do I get better signal strength using EDGE than LTE?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Why do I get better signal strength using EDGE than LTE?

If I force my phone (Galaxy S10e) to EDGE, I see at least 10db better signal reception than if I am on LTE.
    According to Cellmapper, the tower used is the same one.

Can anyone tell me why I am getting a stronger signal with EDGE than LTR?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Assuming the bands are the same, this should be expected.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    If I force my phone (Galaxy S10e) to EDGE, I see at least 10db better signal reception than if I am on LTE.

Did you ever consider that the Edge and LTE may be on a different spectrum bands that has less distances it can travel before it signal was absorbed by obstructions?

Also, the Edge may have a higher transmit power and better tilt on the antenna since fewer towers will interfere with the few Edge enabled towers left working.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

As Shilocane and besweet have mentioned - most likely the frequency band has something to do with it.
    Band 2 (1900) vs AWS (2100).
    Also, EDGE (GSM) doesn't have to typically worry about 'noise floor' and keeping the power in check the way that UMTS and LTE do. GSM runs on timeslots (TDMA based) so that there's no interference between sites. In theory, newer GSM/EGDE has some randomization to improve efficiencies as well... but its still timeslot based.
    Having 10dB better doesn't always mean much if the noise is higher, and drop off is lower.
    One uses 8PSK, the other is using QAM 256
    Eg. UMTS threshold is ~ -113dBm. LTE threshold is -140dBm. Of course, signal is pretty unusable once you pass -124dBm.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cellmapper indicates the same band. But I suppose I am not taking into account that the EDGE signal may be more powerful or the antenna may be pointed differently. I just wondered if it was normal for an edge signal to be stronger all else being equal.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It would be hard to really compare them making everything equal, LTE and EDGE are just incredibly different air interfaces anyway. But as detailed here well, EDGE for many reasons would be holding a better signal.

Also, formercanuck, those dBm values should be way changed for LTE. On any network I've used in the USA, LTE becomes unusable in the 100 and teens, not the 120s. But clearly the networks force it to stay parked on it when another band would work for stronger signal or drop to UMTS.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    It would be hard to really compare them making everything equal, LTE and EDGE are just incredibly different air interfaces anyway. But as detailed here well, EDGE for many reasons would be holding a better signal.

Also, formercanuck, those dBm values should be way changed for LTE. On any network I've used in the USA, LTE becomes unusable in the 100 and teens, not the 120s. But clearly the networks force it to stay parked on it when another band would work for stronger signal or drop to UMTS.
    This has been precisely my beef with Tmobile. It seems that my phone insists on staying with band 4 and LTE until its last breath of air before it will switch. I've seen it stick with band 4 at over -120db when in fact there is a band 12 coming in at -90. Same phone on AT&T will always seem to pick the band with the best signal strength. I guess it has to do with Tmobile's preferred handling of network traffic, but it results in poor or dropped calls far too often.

Feedback Score
    depends on spectrum i think...

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drvshrm View Post
    depends on spectrum i think...
    It depends on the spectrum tremendously. But also site density grid density and obviously distance in between sites and from the tower. Also atmospheric interference and man-made interference as well can make a big difference in the signal strength.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Depends on channel bandwidth too. A 200 kHz GSM carrier will concentrate the radio transmit power into a narrow bandwidth, while an LTE radio has to spread that power across a much wider bandwidth... Potentially up to 20 MHz.

Comparing the RSSI of GSM to RSRP of LTE is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This has been precisely my beef with Tmobile. It seems that my phone insists on staying with band 4 and LTE until its last breath of air before it will switch. I've seen it stick with band 4 at over -120db when in fact there is a band 12 coming in at -90. Same phone on AT&T will always seem to pick the band with the best signal strength. I guess it has to do with Tmobile's preferred handling of network traffic, but it results in poor or dropped calls far too often.
    Just because Band 12 is -90db doesn’t mean it isn’t congested. What part of California are you in?

Feedback Score
    Frequency

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post

At 100... Service is pretty good even on AWS band. I mentioned that LTE and GSM are different. If I just needed text, a GSM signal is probably more robust. Here's band 4 only at -107dBm... And why SNR/RSRQ play a role. Having a weak signal isn't bad... If the quality is decent.Name:  1557377738976.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  14.7 KBName:  1557378063309.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  46.6 KBName:  1557378508087.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  14.9 KBName:  1557378519354.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  34.0 KB

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Just because Band 12 is -90db doesn’t mean it isn’t congested. What part of California are you in?
    Corona, right off the 15 and 91 freeways. By the way, I can do a signal check at 3 in the morning and still, edge will show a stronger signal than LTE.

Is comparing a -80 edge signal to a -90 LTE signal an unfair comparison?
    Perhaps the edge cell is pointed towards my house and the LTE is pointed away?

And somewhat related question:
    If I compare signal strength using Cellmapper on my S10e and what I get on an iphone using its service mode, the Galaxy will almost routinely show between 5 and 12 or so dBm better signal strength. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Seems that in the middle of the night for whatever reason, signal strength here suffers. I can normally see low -80s in signal strength during the day, but around 3am or so, it gets worse, going up to about -90 or so commonly. With the iphone at that time, it seems to go to over -100 routinely.
    Is all of this normal? Is there a different standard for an iphone compared to an Android phone when it comes to signal strength or is dBm dbm no matter what system you're using?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    GSM uses RSSI while LTE uses RSRP. They are similar... But not the same https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesste...asurement-lte/

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast