Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is possible downside of buying Pixel 3a from Google rather than TM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    That $246 trade in on an iPhone SE is crazy to me. That's more than I paid for my SE -- and I bought it at least 2 years ago (if not three).
    Yep, more than my cost also. TM is allowing $100 for an SE. Anyway I have one on the way, nice camera and a phone too for less than $100 Exchanged/taxes/delivered.

Device(s)
    MT2L03
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm trying to decide on trading in a Galaxy s8+ for 3aXL. I most likely will pull the trigger. GS8+ has screen burn-in. To do the trade , I have to replace glass back ( I was told that no cracks at all can be on the phone )

Feedback Score
    Yep, they say: Turns on, No cracks, Factory reset.

(Box to check) If my phone's condition is different than above, accept its new value.
    Uncheck to get your phone back without credit if its condition is different from above. If you choose to get your phone back, you accept all liability if the return shipment is lost or damaged. If this occurs, Google Customer Support can provide guidance on how to file a claim. Go to g.co/phonetradein for more details.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Per XDA forums the one sold by T-mobile is sim locked until paid off and the sim lock prevents you from unlocking the bootloader (needed for root and custom roms).

Sent from my LGUS997 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    You can’t roam on US Cellular with the play store Pixel 3’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Until we see someone confirm either working (or not) on USCC roaming, or someone provides us a specific TAC list of whitelisted Pixel’s, this is an unknown.
    Per Reddit, one preliminary report claims USCC roaming is working on a T-Mobile sold Pixel 3A.
    Asking follow up questions as there used to be a SIM swap method that temporarily retained roaming access.
    If the user has used the device more than a couple days before roaming, then that should solidify confirmation for T-Mobile sold models. Which puts the Google Store/Best Buy unlocked models as an unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nardva View Post
    Per XDA forums the one sold by T-mobile is sim locked until paid off and the sim lock prevents you from unlocking the bootloader (needed for root and custom roms).
    Good to know the carrier lock and bootloader lock are tied together! Does T-Mobile regularly allow unlocks same-day post purchase? I recall at one point they had a 40 day carrier hold for postpaid and 1 year/$100 refill carrier hold for prepaid.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    no, they have a 40 day hold for postpaid.

I will also say, unless you buy it from the T-Mobile store you *may* have to jump through some hoops to unlock it anyway. I bought a T-Mobile phone directly from Samsung (S10+); the normal carrier unlock process, which is built into the phone and which requires nothing more than choosing the option, wouldn't work until I called T-Mo.

It seems their system doesn't know about the IMEI unless the phone came from their inventory. Their support can take care of this, but it takes a day or so after you call them. Then the normal built-in process works.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Will the Pixel 3 sold by Google work with T-Mobile’s WiFi Calling?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    Will the Pixel 3 sold by Google work with T-Mobile’s WiFi Calling?
    Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    After using the 3A for about a week, I am impressed. It might not have the fastest soc, but nobody would notice unless they game on their phone. Since I don't, it really fits all my needs. It is actually a downgrade (my last primary phone used a snapdragon 835) but to be honest, I cannot tell a difference between these two on average, daily use

Feedback Score
    That's interesting. If true, that would indicate that the business has matured a great deal in the last 2-3 years.

I had an LG V10, but its chip was slow AND the system was built badly and burned up. But LG fixed it all quickly and painlessly, so no harm no foul. But that didn't fix the fact that it was slow.

I moved on to a BB KEYone, and it was slower than molasses in winter.

Both of those were midrange phones, built to meet a price point (although LG would disagree), so I figured that's what you get with a midrange phone.

A year ago the screen fell off my then-year-old BB (known problem). I drove right to Costco and decided to take advantage of their incredible deal on the Samsung Galaxy S9+ (I chose the Plus for bigger battery). What a difference. That phone was (and still is) incredible. Performance, feature set, screen, battery--it had it all. I figured, well, I guess you have to buy the flagship to protect yourself against junk performance.

I moved up to the 10+ when it launched, just to get the new Qualcomm chip and stay ahead of things. I know I could have easily stayed with the 9+ and been very happy.

But what you're indicating is that maybe things have matured enough that there's no need to buy the flagship just to insure yourself against "good enough but not really" phones that are built to meet a price point. Maybe the lower price point units overall in the industry will all start falling into that "plenty good for everyone, no regrets" performance category.

(After all, look at Apple--its customer base won't let that 5S/SE format die, despite Apple's best efforts at forcing them up to $800+ phones.)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

What is possible downside of buying Pixel 3a from Google rather than TM?

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryb1 View Post
    Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks, now I need to buy one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    That's interesting. If true, that would indicate that the business has matured a great deal in the last 2-3 years.

I had an LG V10, but its chip was slow AND the system was built badly and burned up. But LG fixed it all quickly and painlessly, so no harm no foul. But that didn't fix the fact that it was slow.

I moved on to a BB KEYone, and it was slower than molasses in winter.

Both of those were midrange phones, built to meet a price point (although LG would disagree), so I figured that's what you get with a midrange phone.

A year ago the screen fell off my then-year-old BB (known problem). I drove right to Costco and decided to take advantage of their incredible deal on the Samsung Galaxy S9+ (I chose the Plus for bigger battery). What a difference. That phone was (and still is) incredible. Performance, feature set, screen, battery--it had it all. I figured, well, I guess you have to buy the flagship to protect yourself against junk performance.

I moved up to the 10+ when it launched, just to get the new Qualcomm chip and stay ahead of things. I know I could have easily stayed with the 9+ and been very happy.

But what you're indicating is that maybe things have matured enough that there's no need to buy the flagship just to insure yourself against "good enough but not really" phones that are built to meet a price point. Maybe the lower price point units overall in the industry will all start falling into that "plenty good for everyone, no regrets" performance category.

(After all, look at Apple--its customer base won't let that 5S/SE format die, despite Apple's best efforts at forcing them up to $800+ phones.)

I'm more of a fan of stock android, so I'm unfamiliar with some of these devices, but I know a lot of companies like to add a bunch of 'extras' and gui features, and their own custom apps, which to me is just bloat. I swore off samsung devices due to their touchwiz, but I've read in the past couple years they toned it down and isn't so bad anymore. Not sure about Lg or BB.

I've read that the SD 670 comes in between a SD 810 and 820, which is probably more than enough for the average joe.

I think it comes down to a person and what they put more value in. For me, it was (in no particular order) a good camera, a good display, and having as many of the current bands for mobile providers as possible. The 3a get a checkmark by all of these. I also really like unlocked devices, don't like being tied or restricted where to take my phone (or waiting x days before it is allowed to be unlocked). It also doesn't hurt that it has 3 years of guaranteed updates, and google is the first to issue the updates, while all other companies follow suit... eventually. sometimes. And once the official updates stop, I could just unlock the bootloader and install updated roms. There are tradeoffs to the device hardware, sure, but it really does all those things well that I put more value on.

If I had to guess (since google was offering incredible trade in values for older iphones) the 3a/xl is targeted at the iphone xr people/market. I'd say it is at least on par with that while coming in at hundreds less.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    After using the 3A for about a week, I am impressed. It might not have the fastest soc, but nobody would notice unless they game on their phone. Since I don't, it really fits all my needs. It is actually a downgrade (my last primary phone used a snapdragon 835) but to be honest, I cannot tell a difference between these two on average, daily use
    Is your 3a a TM "version" or unlocked from Google? Just wanted to make sure the Google version works on wifi.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    How's the build quality on the 3A I been thinking about getting an back up it's between the 3A and Motorola one

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10+ using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    How's the build quality on the 3A I been thinking about getting an back up it's between the 3A and Motorola one

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10+ using Tapatalk
    From what I'm seeing the build quality is pretty good. JerryRigEverything on YouTube did his tests on a 3A and the phone passed. While the phone did flex during the bend test, the phone did not break, with everything still working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast