Thread: Unless I go BYOD, is it basically impossible to keep my rate?

Device(s)
    Moto X 2nd Gen
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Unless I go BYOD, is it basically impossible to keep my rate?

I'm on the Smartphone 35 plan from 2015. Unlimited CAN voice + Unlimited CAN/USA text + 2GB full speed data. I think it's the type of plan that only works in home zones (some now work outside of it, I believe?) but either way I never leave a home zone. I use on average 1.1 to 1.4 GB per month as my commute between home and work is a 5 min walk, and I have Wi-Fi at both. I usually get the "you've used 50% of your full-speed allotment" on the 28th or 29th day of my cycle

Got my phone for $0 on tab in July 2015. I paid $50 for 2 years (with $15 tab) and $35 since mid 2017. It usually runs fine (Moto X 2nd Gen) albeit a bit sluggish at times. The real issue is battery life. I have to charge it at least twice a day.

So I'd like to get a new phone, but if I get one from Freedom I believe I have to move to their current plans... which seem to suck by comparison.

I just hate the idea of paying more but getting nothing additional out of it.

What are my options? Do I have any recourse outside of BYOD and just getting a nanoSIM to slot into a new device?
    DSL: TekSavvy (25/10 unlimited) | TV: OTA antenna + PC + = $0 HD PVR | Cell: Freedom's 2015 $35 Smartphone Plan

Device(s)
    BB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    looks like the only option, purchase unlocked phone, use current SIM

Feedback Score
    You don't have to switch plans. You can still add up to $20/mo MyTab payment and get $480 off the upfront price. Essentially free financing of $480.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2nd Gen
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinly84 View Post
    You don't have to switch plans. You can still add up to $20/mo MyTab payment and get $480 off the upfront price. Essentially free financing of $480.
    I asked them on Twitter last summer and this was their reply...

Me:
    @freedomsupport If the website states "Plus $20/mo MyTab Boost for 24 months on plans above $30", would that work with my older plan? or would it require moving to a currently-offered plan?

Them:
    "Hey there Chris, our prices on our website do require you to have a current in-market plan. -RR"

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crumbworks View Post
    I asked them on Twitter last summer and this was their reply...

Me:
    @freedomsupport If the website states "Plus $20/mo MyTab Boost for 24 months on plans above $30", would that work with my older plan? or would it require moving to a currently-offered plan?

Them:
    "Hey there Chris, our prices on our website do require you to have a current in-market plan. -RR"
    The bonuses, i.e. "free" phone do require new plans.
    You can still get a device on tab without bonus, just equal payment plan essentially, on your existing rate plan (what Kevin describes).
    You may be eligible for $100 free discount as part of the tab - this will be reflected in the tab options displayed to you when you login online and go through the upgrade link.
    This may start at the $40 level though, I'm not certain.

Feedback Score
    The same game is song and dance happens at all carriers. The way to go is to treat the purchasing of service and hardware as separate items. Minimize the cost of each as a separate transaction as there is not such thing as bundle discounts.