Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Now Confirmed, Verizon Apparently Killing Prepaid Jetpack Unlimited Plan

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

PSA: Now Confirmed, Verizon Apparently Killing Prepaid Jetpack Unlimited Plan

Follow up to my thread last week, turns out the removal from the main page is not a fluke. On Reddit, verified employees have confirmed the plan is being removed.

Current customers will be grandfathered. $70/$65 tier will be replaced with a paltry 15GB plan.

Vote with your wallets, people. If you want an unlimited data hotspot, go activate one today. The MHS900 is $49 at Best Buy, and a MiFi 7730L is $69 used on eBay. If Verizon gets thousands of activations this week, it will send a potent message.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    Probably because the network can't handle it. Weird how you rather have more people congest the network. Not me. I'm happy for these people to go elsewhere. Only 5G wireless is meant to be home internet replacement. And yes if thousands of people sign up it will send a message. The message will be "Kill the grandfathered accounts too."

So I guess your chrisprice on Reddit?

Feedback Score
    @Jack Hagar
    The prepaid unlimited plan was always very unusual in this aspect unlike any other unlimited (in regards to data only plans) in that it was permanently deprioritized so the effect on "normal" sub 22-75GB users should be minimal.

As for the grandfathered accounts for some strange reason they keep going back to selling unlimited plans of some sort.

I think that eventually they are going to move the gUDP onto the current permanent deprioritization or ##GB then deprioritized strategy they are currently using rather than trying to cancel them outright again.

They've already proven they can change the terms by throttling video on gUDP.

Anyway I hope not because I still don't have any other options on par with LTE to replace it with.

I mean I could get by with AT&T's unlimited option but going from ~50Mbps to ~10Mbps would hurt.
    There are no local plans for any sort of broadband expansion AFAIK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @Jack Hagar
    The prepaid unlimited plan was always very unusual in this aspect unlike any other unlimited (in regards to data only plans) in that it was permanently deprioritized so the effect on "normal" sub 22-75GB users should be minimal.
    Except video was 720p unlike Go unlimited which is 480p and we all know 90% of use is video. Not to mention all the people using a VPN to bypass the video limit.

Anyway I hope not because I still don't have any other options on par with LTE to replace it with.
    No offense, but that isn't Verizon's concern or responsibility

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Except video was 720p unlike Go unlimited which is 480p and we all know 90% of use is video. Not to mention all the people using a VPN to bypass the video limit.

No offense, but that isn't Verizon's concern or responsibility
    Are you like the Jet1000 of VZW's forum?

I'm sure VZW doesn't SEE it as their concerns or responsibility, but it is. How many times do we have to go over spectrum is a public resource leased to VZW. It's meant to be used for the public to tap into. Shockingly possibly to you, VZW doesn't get to do 'whatever they want to concern themselves with'.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't be so cavalier, just because it isn't your ox being gored. The plan was advertised as unlimited, and we bought equipment specifically for that plan. Perhaps Verizon should have planned for the usage they sold. I don't see them offering to reimburse the money we spent for hardware. You might give some thought to being a little more graceful toward those affected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Are you like the Jet1000 of VZW's forum?

I'm sure VZW doesn't SEE it as their concerns or responsibility, but it is. How many times do we have to go over spectrum is a public resource leased to VZW. It's meant to be used for the public to tap into. Shockingly possibly to you, VZW doesn't get to do 'whatever they want to concern themselves with'.
    How is it Verizon's responsibility to provide you with unlimited data with no throttle or deprioritization? You do get 4G can't even do that? Why isn't it some wired ISP responsibility? You seem perfectly happy t demand something that will hinder the experience of other paying customers which to me seems selfish but hey you get what YOU want. Because it's all about YOU. Let me guess born 1985 or later?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How is it Verizon's responsibility to provide you with unlimited data with no throttle or deprioritization? You do get 4G can't even do that? Why isn't it some wired ISP responsibility? You seem perfectly happy t demand something that will hinder the experience of other paying customers which to me seems selfish but hey you get what YOU want. Because it's all about YOU. Let me guess born 1985 or later?
    C'mon, knock it off. It's Verizon's responsibility because that's what was sold to the consumer. Doesn't matter if the poster is a millennial, has nothing to do with the way the AT&T's and Verizon's misuse their near monopolies. By the way, I was born in 1946.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
    C'mon, knock it off. It's Verizon's responsibility because that's what was sold to the consumer. Doesn't matter if the poster is a millennial, has nothing to do with the way the AT&T's and Verizon's misuse their near monopolies. By the way, I was born in 1946.
    Quit acting entitled then. Same age as my dad. Glad he doesn't feel entitled to stuff just because. Verizon is no way responsible to provide you unlimited data just because you moved to the boondocks. How come the local cable company isn't then? I'm sure there is cable company in your county. You think they are because you want it. That's like me saying McDonald's should provide me with whoppers and onion rings even though they serve neither because don't have a Burger King near by.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quit acting entitled then. Same age as my dad. Glad he doesn't feel entitled to stuff just because. Verizon is no way responsible to provide you unlimited data just because you moved to the boondocks. How come the local cable company isn't then? I'm sure there is cable company in your county. You think they are because you want it. That's like me saying McDonald's should provide me with whoppers and onion rings even though they serve neither because don't have a Burger King near by.
    You need to stop talking and listen to yourself ... actually, Verizon did offer to provide unlimited data. And they had no problem taking our money for unlimited data. So tired of broken promises, and people like you who excuse their behavior.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You need to stop talking and listen to yourself ... actually, Verizon did offer to provide unlimited data. And they had no problem taking our money for unlimited data. So tired of broken promises, and people like you who excuse their behavior.
    Umm. It’s prepaid. They provided you with unlimited service for the contracted period of one month. The contract simply renews every month as long as Verizon or you change your mind. In that case they offer a different plan with opportunity to leave before the renewal window. In the prepaid business both the carrier and subscriber have equal rights in this regard. You’re “entitled” to one month only.

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Umm. It’s prepaid. They provided you with unlimited service for the contracted period of one month. The contract simply renews every month as long as Verizon or you change your mind. In that case they offer a different plan with opportunity to leave before the renewal window. In the prepaid business both the carrier and subscriber have equal rights in this regard. You’re “entitled” to one month only.

—Kidd
    Of course it's prepaid ... we all know the definition. Look, Verizon is a large company, been in business a long time. Why bring to market an unlimited product and cancel it within six months, especially one that requires a hardware purchase by the consumer. Not a good business practice.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Of course it's prepaid ... we all know the definition. Look, Verizon is a large company, been in business a long time. Why bring to market an unlimited product and cancel it within six months, especially one that requires a hardware purchase by the consumer. Not a good business practice.
    I would say it's called market acceptance or viability testing, but that's pure speculation on my part. If so, the result may be that it is too popular to keep around and keep financially viable? Only a select few people on this forum may know the true intentions, but my guess is that anyone who does would not feel comfortable to speak on it. Ultimately Verizon had no obligation to keep it around forever as it's prepaid.

While it's unfortunate that the hardware purchase could later turn out to be unusable, pretty much anything you buy has the issue. I'd personally come in with an unlocked device for a service like that where there's no long term guarantee. It's simply caveat emptor.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I would say it's called market acceptance or viability testing, but that's pure speculation on my part. If so, the result may be that it is too popular to keep around and keep financially viable? Only a select few people on this forum may know the true intentions, but my guess is that anyone who does would not feel comfortable to speak on it. Ultimately Verizon had no obligation to keep it around forever as it's prepaid.
    There's a belief by many that it was offered as a regulatory olive branch to try and close a long running case before the FCC. I won't go into it here because it would just start a perpetual rehash of an old debate. Search old threads.

In any event, that case is still open, so if it was an attempt at resolving it... it doesn't look like it worked.

Feedback Score
    When they offered this, they had to assume people would use it to stream a lot of video. They changed the video throttle to 720p a few months after it started. The plan is subject to network management at any time and prepaid is secondary to postpaid customers so how is this plan pulling too much load from the network when it is subject to these limitations? I assume it depends on your location and tower use in your area, but I haven’t seen many drops in speed since I started using the plan (since November 6).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast