Thread: I-80 Wyoming Coverage

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I-80 Wyoming Coverage

I just traveled on I-80 in Wyoming and the service was pathetic with a OnePlus 6t. Cellmapper shows signal traces but the best I could get for much of the trip across Wyoming was Union Telephone. That 50 MB goes pretty fast. When I did get T-Mobile I was only able to get "4G" not LTE. I had the same issue in rural portions of Colorado and Utah around Dinosaur National Monument. LTE worked around Dinosaur, CO but HSPA+ was what the phone seemed to prefer in other areas. I wonder if it is a poor up/down link that causes the problems in those areas. Vernal, UT LTE worked pretty good minus slow speeds of often <5mbps.

I was just perplexed by the Wyoming coverage since it would show up in a network scan but I could rarely get LTE or anything to connect. I would like to say the roaming in that part of the country on Union sucks...Viaero is a wonderful roaming partner. Any thoughts on not seeing service where cellmapper and T-Mobile both show LTE service?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Strange since I-80 in Wyoming seems to be painted with Band 71 according to Lart2150 B71 map. Plus your OnePlus 6t supports B71.

Top that off as you say with Cellmapper has been mapped a few time in the last month on I-80 that shows a lot of coverage with the exceptions of a few areas along I-80. Cellmapper Link back Map to I-80 in Wyoming.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah roaming on Union sucks big time, data is basically unusable, even had a hard time sending MMS. When I was in Wyoming, my phone would sit roaming on Union wireless even though there was native T-Mobile signal. I had to set my phone to manually search for network operators, and than chose T-Mobile.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, LG V40 ThinQ, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Did you happen to go through for the Big Boy 2014 and 844 4-8-4 trip west from Cheyenne to Ogden for the 150th Anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad at Promontory? I wish I could have! Thankfully to Youtube, I am able to see it, and relive it whenever I want

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I just think it's great that T-Mobile customers are complaining about coverage in Wyoming. I remember saying that if they ever got service in Chadron, NE I'd never complain about coverage again. That was first satisfied by AT&T roaming and later Viaero. It looks like T-Mobile may be near providing native coverage there.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I just think it's great that T-Mobile customers are complaining about coverage in Wyoming. I remember saying that if they ever got service in Chadron, NE I'd never complain about coverage again. That was first satisfied by AT&T roaming and later Viaero. It looks like T-Mobile may be near providing native coverage there.
    I've been to Chadron many times. Do you have info that TMO is planning a site there?

Sent from my SM-N960U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr3021 View Post
    I've been to Chadron many times. Do you have info that TMO is planning a site there?
    Nothing specific but they seem to have site 30 miles east, in Rushville. It's hard to understand why they'd build a site there if they weren't planning to extend service along US-20. Of course, this is T-Mobile we're talking about....

BTW, I've only been to Chadron once (great museum there). I picked it as a place that was the back side of nowhere but still on the map.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Did you happen to go through for the Big Boy 2014 and 844 4-8-4 trip west from Cheyenne to Ogden for the 150th Anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad at Promontory? I wish I could have! Thankfully to Youtube, I am able to see it, and relive it whenever I want
    I started in Evanston in the caravan, then reverse trip when they left Ogden. Watched some of the videos on YouTube, in comparison the thump in your chest when standing next to it and it passes is missing. Static displays are nice but living breathing fire is nicer
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    I started in Evanston in the caravan, then reverse trip when they left Ogden. Watched some of the videos on YouTube, in comparison the thump in your chest when standing next to it or it passes is missing. Static displays are nice but living breathing fire is nicer

Feedback Score
    If you’re going through rural areas it’s a good idea to carry a prepaid phone with AT&T or Verizon coverage and not rely on T-Mobile because roaming is becoming rarer even when T-Mobile has no native coverage. Red Pocket has some yearly deals that are good and I bought the service on eBay when there was a 15% off deal. T-Mobile postpaid with a prepaid Verizon phone is the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Martin View Post
    If you’re going through rural areas it’s a good idea to carry a prepaid phone with AT&T or Verizon coverage and not rely on T-Mobile because roaming is becoming rarer even when T-Mobile has no native coverage. Red Pocket has some yearly deals that are good and I bought the service on eBay when there was a 15% off deal. T-Mobile postpaid with a prepaid Verizon phone is the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Calls worked fine on roaming in the area so no need to carry an extra phone. When travelling I rarely ever completely lose voice service west of the Mississippi. There is usually always a roaming partner that allows voice calling. East of the Mississippi is more challenging as the only roaming choice is usually ATT or Verizon.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I didn't join the caravan but I did make it for the celebration which was great. The Big Boy will likely make it to Topeka and KC just like 844 a few years ago. It will hopefully be much easier to catch some runbys as there are some good places to video from in the area.

Device(s)
    LG Octane
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I went up from Utah through Evanston to Rock Springs a couple of consecutive weekends within the last couple of months. My iPhone XR picked up patches of native T-Mobile service along I-80 in Wyoming. My sister's house in Rock Springs is covered by native T-Mobile LTE.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.M. View Post
    I went up from Utah through Evanston to Rock Springs a couple of consecutive weekends within the last couple of months. My iPhone XR picked up patches of native T-Mobile service along I-80 in Wyoming. My sister's house in Rock Springs is covered by native T-Mobile LTE.
    The coverage seemed really spotty. It doesn't seem like the goal was continuous coverage along I-80. If it was I would say T-Mobile failed in the first attempt. It is really similar to the coverage along I-70 in eastern Colorado and western Kansas. Islands of coverage to where the phone will just stay on roaming without forcing a scan and selection of T-Mobile. My hope is someone sees this and fixes the issues that are present on major interstates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Strange since I-80 in Wyoming seems to be painted with Band 71 according to Lart2150 B71 map. Plus your OnePlus 6t supports B71.

Top that off as you say with Cellmapper has been mapped a few time in the last month on I-80 that shows a lot of coverage with the exceptions of a few areas along I-80. Cellmapper Link back Map to I-80 in Wyoming.
    "Painted" when describing T-Mobile's coverage map is definitely the correct word to use.