Thread: Trying to understand APN

Feedback Score

Trying to understand APN

A friend of mine showed me his jail-broken 6s with TetherMe installed. He is using a well known MVNO but he installed the main carriers' APN. He was thinking that his phone would not be de-prioritized during high traffic times. Is this theory a lot of bunk or what?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Trying to understand APN

Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post
    A friend of mine showed me his jail-broken 6s with TetherMe installed. He is using a well known MVNO but he installed the main carriers' APN. He was thinking that his phone would not be de-prioritized during high traffic times. Is this theory a lot of bunk or what?
    Would be the same with either APN. It’s not going to change anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    I kind of thought your comment was the case. My friend did make a logical argument however.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post
    What MVNO works with the same APN that the parent network uses for their postpaid service? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    MintMobile

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What MVNO works with the same APN that the parent network uses for their postpaid service? Thanks.
    Also MetroPCS.

Feedback Score
    Today I tested the two APNs for Mint (Tmo's and Mint) and while there was no recognizable difference in normal use (voice, text or mms), I found servers used during speed tests were far away(600 miles+) when using TMo's APN. When I switched to the APN suggested by Mint, the server location was local and my speeds quadrupled.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by good4life View Post
    Today I tested the two APNs for Mint (Tmo's and Mint) and while there was no recognizable difference in normal use (voice, text or mms), I found servers used during speed tests were far away(600 miles+) when using TMo's APN. When I switched to the APN suggested by Mint, the server location was local and my speeds quadrupled.
    Did you try manually selecting the same local server when on the TMo APN? That, as compared to with the Mint APN at the same time/location, would be the real test.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Did you try manually selecting the same local server when on the TMo APN? That, as compared to with the Mint APN at the same time/location, would be the real test.
    I'm in Atlanta. The default server with the TMo setting was in Miami. I rebooted and for some reason I only got options in Florida or south GA. Once switched to 'Ultra', the name for Mint's APN, not only did Atlanta pop up, but with all the choices available in the Atlanta metro area. I figured it was a way TMo filter's/prioritizes it's MVNO customers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by good4life View Post
    I'm in Atlanta. The default server with the TMo setting was in Miami. I rebooted and for some reason I only got options in Florida or south GA. Once switched to 'Ultra', the name for Mint's APN, not only did Atlanta pop up, but with all the choices available in the Atlanta metro area. I figured it was a way TMo filter's/prioritizes it's MVNO customers.
    Location is based on GPS. If it’s not turned on location may be based on IP which is random not matter what APN

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Location is based on GPS. If it’s not turned on location may be based on IP which is random not matter what APN

I agree and location was definitely on as the phone used (LGG6) was reset prior to my the test and it was turned on automatically when booted. I just pulled the same phone out and reran the test and the server location was consistently in Atlanta. Who knows? Maybe it was the time of day and congestion or maybe it was position of the sun, who knows? Whatever it was cleared up.