Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone SIM in plastic tracfone card

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post
    I got the phone from TracFone but it APPEARS the same as what you get from Apple. No TF branding of any kind. Does that clarify?
    Most prepaid iPhones look like what you would get from apple. It’s stock that has had various restrictions placed in form of Initial Activation policy to make sure the phone companies make their revenue back from the subsidised device.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got the phone from TracFone but it APPEARS the same as what you get from Apple. No TF branding of any kind. Does that clarify?
    I don't know of ANY iPhone that has any branding other than Apple.

They refused to allow carrier branding on the devices.

For a given model, the one you buy from Verizon looks the same as the one from AT&T and the same as the one from TF.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Luna, LG Rebel, LG L238C, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Aclondon View Post
    Most prepaid iPhones look like what you would get from apple. It’s stock that has had various restrictions placed in form of Initial Activation policy to make sure the phone companies make their revenue back from the subsidized device.
    Very interesting! I wonder how those initial activation restrictions are implemented.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Very interesting! I wonder how those initial activation restrictions are implemented.
    Based on IMEI in Apple's database.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Based on IMEI in Apple's database.
    OK. So basically that IMEI can only be activated on Tracfone? How do the other carriers know that the IMEI is restricted?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK. So basically that IMEI can only be activated on Tracfone? How do the other carriers know that the IMEI is restricted?
    The other carriers might not know that the phone is restricted to Tracfone, but its firmware is set up to accept only Tracfone SIMs, that will prevent you from using it with other carriers (until TF unlocks it after 12 months of paid service).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Ah, yes. Thanks.

That IS how the iPhones from TF come. But they are locked to TF for the full 12 months. Also, at least for the Vzw version, you have to activate it with the SIM card that comes in it and use it for 12 months straight to have a chance to have it unlocked in 12 months.
    So, if for any reason I use a different SIM to the one that came with the phone to activate a brand new VZW TF iPhone for the first time, the 12-month clock to qualify for unlocking the iPhone won't start?

I was considering using one of those preloaded VZW SIMs with airtime on sale in eBay to activate a new TF iPhone but not if that won't allow me to eventually get it unlocked (in a regular way)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    So, if for any reason I use a different SIM to the one that came with the phone to activate a brand new VZW TF iPhone for the first time, the 12-month clock to qualify for unlocking the iPhone won't start?

I was considering using one of those preloaded VZW SIMs with airtime on sale in eBay to activate a new TF iPhone but not if that won't allow me to eventually get it unlocked (in a regular way)
    There are two issues here:
    1. With a TF-branded phone (even when it's an iPhone sold by TF without a TF logo on it), the SIM number is "married" to the phone's IMEI in TF system. When you activate a TF-branded phone, you can use either the IMEI or the SIM number and TF knows which phone it is. For the purpose of counting time in service, we don't know whether TF keeps track by the SIM number or the IMEI number.
    2. The "preloaded" VZW SIM is a BYOP SIM. To activate it, you'll have to provide an IMEI of a BYOP phone that passes the whitelist check. You cannot use the IMEI of a TF-branded phone. So, that rules out getting "time served credit" for the iPhone's IMEI.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are two issues here:
    1. With a TF-branded phone (even when it's an iPhone sold by TF without a TF logo on it), the SIM number is "married" to the phone's IMEI in TF system. When you activate a TF-branded phone, you can use either the IMEI or the SIM number and TF knows which phone it is. For the purpose of counting time in service, we don't know whether TF keeps track by the SIM number or the IMEI number.
    2. The "preloaded" VZW SIM is a BYOP SIM. To activate it, you'll have to provide an IMEI of a BYOP phone that passes the whitelist check. You cannot use the IMEI of a TF-branded phone. So, that rules out getting "time served credit" for the iPhone's IMEI.
    Thanks, I think your point #2 is key. I forgot those SIMs are for BYOP phones ONLY and as you said, I already found out that IMEI is rejected for BYOP activation but goes through ok (obviously) when doing regular TF activation. Duh! I probably didn't think my cunning plan all the way through.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On the Verizon side it could be flagged/not in the various whitelists.
    Or it might pass, but the SIM lock on the phone would prevent it from working.

Other carriers may check the IMEI activation (I believe AT&T does). But if you only activate a SIM, w/o IMEI (like most AT&T MVNOs) then it just wouldn't work with the SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is there a way to find out whether my iPhone is on GSM or CDMA?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is there a way to find out whether my iPhone is on GSM or CDMA?
    Do you know which carrier it is using? AT&T, T-mo, and their subsidiaries use GSM. Verizon uses CDMA.

If you don't know which carrier it is using, post the first 6 digits of the SIM number. You can also send a text message to your email address, then look at the sender's email address. It'll contain your phone number and the carrier's name after the @ sign.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's on Tracfone. But Tracfone uses both GSM and CDMA, so that doesn't solve it.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's on Tracfone. But Tracfone uses both GSM and CDMA, so that doesn't solve it.
    As stated earlier if you confirm the first 6 digits of the SIM it will confirm if it is on Verizon or at&t.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My iPhone is 891480 which is the same as all my other CDMA Tracfone phones, so it must be CDMA.
    The one Tracfone I have which I knew was GSM was my ZTE Citrine and that one is 890141 so that must be code for GSM?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast