Thread: Background Data

Feedback Score

Background Data

I'll try posting here first. Just want to clarify Background data and restricting/turning it off.
    I rarely if ever use mobile data and keep it turned off. I use Wifi for any download/internet activity. Even though I don't have data turned on I know there are sneaky things that still can get through so I also turn background data off in my apps.
    Question: Is turning off Back Ground data in things like the various Android, Google or phone mfg. "Services" ok ? I assume if any of the services needs to update anything it will still do it when I connect to Wifi. And having background data off on those apps won't affect phone operation? Thx

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Turning off background data is not a problem. As you pointed out, various application/system updates will not occur unless you connect to WiFi , but you will be prompted when the connection is made. I see no major issue in any way as long as you keep your system up to date periodically.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Turning off background data is not a problem. As you pointed out, various application/system updates will not occur unless you connect to WiFi , but you will be prompted when the connection is made. I see no major issue in any way as long as you keep your system up to date periodically.
    Thanks for your reply. And also no phone functions will be affected correct ? And I'll still get OS update notices (MOTO) when connected to wifi ? Thanks.