Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Don't sweat using data!

I've been too paranoid about using data. To the extreme of using all the data savers on my Pixel 2XL. Even turning OFF data. Installed the app: MyData. Needed to use Google Maps for directions. Used Maps for 8 minutes and my data app showed 8mb of data used. If my calcs are correct, at $10/gb from Tracfone. this map use cost me 8 cents. And keeping data ON, my daily data use to get emails, texts and occasional DuckDuckGo searches averages 100mb/month or $1/month. Unless my math is wrong I've been scrimping on the wrong thing. Data ON gives me the benefits of my Pixel purchase.

Device(s)
    Moto G (6)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are you using offline maps that are stored locally on your phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    Are you using offline maps that are stored locally on your phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NO. I like the "live" directions

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My main reason for keeping data off isn't for apps I may actually use myself but for fear of some update download I didn't initiate.
    Even with data off I sometime still see random data use (minor) of various services. Not much, but don't want to take the chance.
    I even have back ground data off on any app or service I can.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    I've been too paranoid about using data. To the extreme of using all the data savers on my Pixel 2XL. Even turning OFF data. Installed the app: MyData. Needed to use Google Maps for directions. Used Maps for 8 minutes and my data app showed 8mb of data used. If my calcs are correct, at $10/gb from Tracfone. this map use cost me 8 cents. And keeping data ON, my daily data use to get emails, texts and occasional DuckDuckGo searches averages 100mb/month or $1/month. Unless my math is wrong I've been scrimping on the wrong thing. Data ON gives me the benefits of my Pixel purchase.
    Sounds about right. I have eased into using mobile data over the years after observing what uses how much. The first thing I do with a new phone is restrict background data for almost all apps and disable apps that I never use. I now leave data and Wifi on and it does not use much mobile data - 25-50 MB a month. That is mostly for my intentional use - occasional GMaps nav, email check, weather check, web search.

One tip I picked up a while ago is to watch out for Google Photos. If you forget and leave Backup & Sync enabled with Mobile data enabled it could send all of your photos to the cloud using mobile data. That could be a lot of data. I don't use the app and have it disabled.

Like you, I have a smartphone. Might as well get the benefit of it for a few cents a month.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just don't get into the habit of streaming videos on cellular data. (Hate CNN's website that autoplays video clips.)

I'm still on the fence about podcasts. Do I want to pay 25¢ to listen now, or wait until I get home?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don’t stream videos on my phone and my data usage is quite low. Like many here I started out keeping data turned off for fear on accidentally using a large amount of data. I have found with my usage pattern I can keep data turned on and still not use that much. I have joined the “why have a smartphone if you don’t use it group.”

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, turn your data on.

If your only data usages are Maps, email, chat (even Facebook Messenger), web searches, reading news articles, talking about data usage on HoFo, etc, your data usage should easily be under 200-300 mb a month even if you use those every day most of the day. Don't quote me on that, but those things don't eat that much data at all in my experience. You can pre-download Google Maps, too, and chances are you just use Maps in your own area so it isn't refreshing data that much anyway (your Maps data usage is mostly going to be traffic updates, I imagine, in your home area).

If you start browsing a lot of Facebook, that will consume more data. But it would have to be a lot more. 500 mb a month on Facebook sounds like pretty strenuous usage.

Music services like Spotify and Pandora might push you up towards using 1 gb a month if you really use them a lot. Sporadic data usage on those services isn't as bad as I thought it would be, though. I try to pre-download everything but if I randomly want to listen to an album over streaming, I don't fret it. Granted, if you do that you're moving into "buying a data card every month or so" territory.

Youtube and watching videos over streaming is what kills data. I think I just read that one episode of an hour-long show in standard definition is about 1 gb of data.

Caveat: only once have I been surprised by massive data consumption. Evernote will update in the background and it's auto-set to update over data unless you turn it off. One time I cleared Evernote's memory, and it re-downloaded 2-3 gigabytes of notes without telling me.

If you are worried about data, I would recommend using a no-root firewall like NetGuard which lets you completely switch data off app by app.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks to all who replied. Just wish I had posted this thread a long time ago so all you sage advisors would have caused me to use the benefits of my BYOP phones.........

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Set Play Store to download updates over WIFI ONLY.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I find that just about everywhere i go has wi fi so I keep my data off except for when I'm driving in my car.

I do have my apps set to download over wifi only and I feel it uses less battery to keep my data off

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Just don't get into the habit of streaming videos on cellular data. (Hate CNN's website that autoplays video clips.)

I'm still on the fence about podcasts. Do I want to pay 25¢ to listen now, or wait until I get home?
    I try to remember to download the podcasts before I leave wifi. Then I don't use any data to listen to them.