Thread: Changing Tracfones...am I doing this correctly?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a and Moto G7 (active) Samsung Galaxy S6 (inactive)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Changing Tracfones...am I doing this correctly?

I currently have TracFone #1 (old BYOP), TracFone #2 (old TracFone branded phone) and am planning to buy a new BYOP. I am planning to switch service from old BYOP to new BYOP and service from my old TracFone branded phone to my old BYOP and leave the old TracFone branded phone as an inactive spare.

I bought BYOP SIMs for each of the three phones. Is it best to just put a new SIM in each phone and transfer the service in order (old BYOP to new BYOP, then old TracFone branded phone to old BYOP? When old BYOP becomes inactive (temporarily) can I immediately transfer service from old TracFone branded phone to it?

This procedure seems pretty simple, but I wanted to check with you folks to see if I'm doing this correctly. Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are the phones CDMA (Verizon) or GSM (AT&T, T-mobile)? That makes a difference in whether or not a SIM can be re-used, and if the SIM is tied to the phone's IMEI.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry, I forgot to add that all are Verizon. I thought new SIMs for all may be the best way to go. Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to add that all are Verizon. I thought new SIMs for all may be the best way to go. Thanks!
    For the new phone yes.

But when you go to reactivate the old BYOP it will default to the old SIM connected to the IMEI and not even ask for a new SIM number.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks ST Dog When I go to activate the old BYOP, should I use a new SIM card or the SIM card from my old TracFone branded phone (a Samsung Galaxy S6). From what I have read in earlier posts, if I take the SIM from the Galaxy S6 and put it in the old BYOP (a Moto G7), that will prevent me (or anyone else) from using the S6 again because the SIM from the S6 is being used on another phone.

Complicated...thanks everyone for help!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks ST Dog When I go to activate the old BYOP, should I use a new SIM card or the SIM card from my old TracFone branded phone
    Neither, the system will try to reuse the same SIM already in the old BYOP. The one you are transferring from doesn't matter.

If you do it via chat you can get them to use a new SIM (they might even ask for one) but it wouldn't gain anything.

Any time I've reactivated a Verizon based BYOP online the system used the last SIM connected to the IMEI.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    1. Activate a new SIM to use with your new BYOP phone's IMEI, transfer service from your old BYOP SIM during the activation process.
    2. Transfer service from your TF-branded phone to the old BYOP SIM (re-use the BYOP SIM).

Use Chat to do the transfers. You can do the transfers one after another. Since you're staying with TF/Verizon, the transfer should take place instantly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    hpham,

Have you done the re-activion part? Did the CSR ask for a SIM number or just default to the one linked to the IMEI?

When I played with the ZTE Z233 flip phone, the transfer back to my BYOP was done online and the system never asked for a SIM number and just used the last SIM connected to the IMEI.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    hpham,

Have you done the re-activation part? Did the CSR ask for a SIM number or just default to the one linked to the IMEI?
    The CDMA phones that I've re-activated were both TF-branded (ZTE Majesty Pro and J3 Sky). I only needed to provide the phone's IMEI. I do have an active BYOP CDMA SIM, but it's been activated only once.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks ST Dog When I go to activate the old BYOP, should I use a new SIM card or the SIM card from my old TracFone branded phone (a Samsung Galaxy S6). From what I have read in earlier posts, if I take the SIM from the Galaxy S6 and put it in the old BYOP (a Moto G7), that will prevent me (or anyone else) from using the S6 again because the SIM from the S6 is being used on another phone.

Complicated...thanks everyone for help!
    Just remember something. If you have a phone where the IMEI is registered with Tracfone in any way, do not leave the phone lying around sim-less. Somebody could decide to start a sim for it, provide the IMEI, and that will cancel the sim that is already in use. You could lose everything.

So the phone is safely re-usable as long as the sim is safely detached.