Thread: International roaming waiting period for new customers

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

International roaming waiting period for new customers

Has anyone ever experienced this? We have cricket but I was trying to switch to ATT postpaid so we could roam internationally for an upcoming trip. When I went to the store to get set up, the guy told me new customers had to be with att for 6 months before getting international service plans. I thought he was full of it but called and was told the same thing. They did say you *might* be able to do it immediately if they somehow make an exception and it seemed to have to do with your credit rating. I’ve never heard of anything like this and in fact I did this a couple years ago and immediately added a Passport plan with no problem. So…are multiple people full of it? Is it a new policy? Or do we have good enough credit that we won’t face such restrictions? I’m thinking I may have to go to Verizon since the trip is in a week.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a local sim at the airport when you reach your destination ??

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a local sim at the airport when you reach your destination ??
    For some people, just the convenience of being able to use your existing phone number is worth the extra cost. I've travelled internationally a couple times the last 3 years. Once, to keep in touch if needed with my ill father, I roamed. The second time, it was no longer an issue so I got a SIM.

The 6 months is new. I thought it was 60 days.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For some people, just the convenience of being able to use your existing phone number is worth the extra cost. I've travelled internationally a couple times the last 3 years. Once, to keep in touch if needed with my ill father, I roamed. The second time, it was no longer an issue so I got a SIM.

The 6 months is new. I thought it was 60 days.
    Thanks for the info and yes, local SIM is cheaper but sometimes you just need to roam, like you said. Wanted to go with AT&T but had to go with Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Verizon allows TravelPass on prepaid, could be an option. Also you could use Google Fi for $10/GB. Both could be temporary options, you could port to then port back to Cricket after.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's all about credit rating in this case.

In the past, I had to call the international roaming team for this same issue -- they ended up running me through credit based security questions before approving it.
    WiFi Guru

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, had it happen nearly 90 days after coming back to AT&T from Verizon. A support agent was able to get an override and it took effect about 3 days later.

I added a line to the same account later in the year, and that new line was also affected by this policy, so it seems it is a per line policy not per account.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well apparently Verizon has it too, which I learned after poking around in the online account manager. I had asked repeatedly if the international plan we added was good to go, and they kept assuring me it was. Then I found something in our account saying we were ineligible. Had to call in and get a last-minute override. It was quick and they didn't even have to ask the credit questions. But still, what a strange thing when they have our bank account info for autopay, etc. I guess we probably would've been fine doing the same thing with AT&T...

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Verizon allows TravelPass on prepaid, could be an option. Also you could use Google Fi for $10/GB. Both could be temporary options, you could port to then port back to Cricket after.

If I had known that Verizon prepaid had travel pass I probably would have switched to them last year.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If I had known that Verizon prepaid had travel pass I probably would have switched to them last year.
    Yeah it's nice they do and kinda sucks that others don't. They're getting your money regardless, someone else should introduce an option like TravelPass or International Day Pass on prepaid. Sprint has the best with their $25/Week option but it's too much work to port just for that. IMO the best is getting Google Fi for the $10/GB and 25˘ calls even if it's temporary since there's no credit check and if you have the right Android phone you can activate on the spot with eSIM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Something to mention about the carriers and international roaming for new users. Carriers are less likely to make it available to new users because of the possibility of a user running up hundreds of $$ while traveling and then not paying their bill. Not something most companies would be willing to do.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It’s not new. It used to be 90 days, which I found out prior to a trip. Neither customer service or the international department would add it, but I stopped at an authorized retailer and they added it without a problem.