Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Unlock request question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Unlock request question

    I just unlocked my LG Phoenix 2 (AT&T) and went to US Cellular to see its rules about unlocking because I have a LG K8 that I never used on their service. The page I found says it's already unlocked. It shows a list of their phones and states what their status is.

    https://m.uscellular.com/uscellular/...unlocking.html

    US Cellular uses CDMA, is it possible to BYOP to TF with the K8? Or is CDMA being discontinued with TF?

    I was following the thread about the SIM kit being sold on eBay that has a years service for $49.99 but now i see it doesn't need to be inserted into an unlocked phone, the service can be added to an existing account. I hope it's going to be a regular deal. I wish they just sold the years service because I have enough minutes.



    Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,501
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I was following the thread about the SIM kit being sold on eBay that has a years service for $49.99 but now i see it doesn't need to be inserted into an unlocked phone, the service can be added to an existing account. I hope it's going to be a regular deal. I wish they just sold the years service because I have enough minutes.
    Right now the 1-yr add-on (offered only to TF-branded phones) costs $49.99 and the SIM + 1 yr 1200/1200/3GB also costs $49.99. Why not get the SIM bundle?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,983
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Right now the 1-yr add-on (offered only to TF-branded phones) costs $49.99 and the SIM + 1 yr 1200/1200/3GB also costs $49.99. Why not get the SIM bundle?
    I personally don't want to attract attention with gobs of airtime, so I too would prefer the days only. Even though it doesn't make sense to folks who actually use up their airtime.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,574
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do you not have an active TF Verizon SIM of the correct size, either out of a TF branded phone or BYOP to put in the K8 and confirm if it is unlocked and that everything works? The one other feature to confirm about the K8 is that it is VoLTE capable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do you not have an active TF Verizon SIM of the correct size, either out of a TF branded phone or BYOP to put in the K8 and confirm if it is unlocked and that everything works? The one other feature to confirm about the K8 is that it is VoLTE capable.
    My active TF is a Samsung J3 Luna Pro and it runs on CDMA. I would have to check the SIM size to see if I can swap to the K8. I was thinking on CDMA the SIM is IMEI locked (AT&T sims can be swapped) I was trying to get an unlocked device ready for prospect of buying the eBay SIM kit for 49.99 but it seems I can just add the 365 day service to my Samsung by using the pin. I like my Luna Pro as my active phone.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Right now the 1-yr add-on (offered only to TF-branded phones) costs $49.99 and the SIM + 1 yr 1200/1200/3GB also costs $49.99. Why not get the SIM bundle?
    I was planning on trying to buy the 9.99/30 day plan card next month to see if the 365 day service offer pops up, then I saw the eBay deal and it's cheaper. It's just that I don't need more minutes currently, but it would be a good deal. I've been using the $15/30 day plan cards on my Samsung. It racks up way more minutes than I need and I was going to start using the $20/90 day plan cards just for service days if the 365 day offer didn't pop up.

    Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I personally don't want to attract attention with gobs of airtime, so I too would prefer the days only. Even though it doesn't make sense to folks who actually use up their airtime.
    If the 365 day service extension card was sold without airtime I would buy those once a year and just add voice, data, or messages as I need them. That makes the most sense to me.

    Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,574
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    With CDMA the SIM is NOT IMEI locked, the SIM and IMEI are ASSOCIATED together in Tracfones system.
    With BYOP AT&T, Tracfone never asks for the IMEI, unless the phone is Tracfone branded, then they do ask for the IMEI.
    Yes, we all know it`s confusing. But you get to ask here for help in remembering.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,574
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you swap the SIM from the Luna Pro into the K8, Tracfone will still see it as a Tracfone Branded Phone.
    You should then be offered the 365 days for $50 because they do not see it as a BYOP.

    The eBay exclusive is an airtime card that should not have an expiration date. It is on sale for $50, regular price is $60.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    With CDMA the SIM is NOT IMEI locked, the SIM and IMEI are ASSOCIATED together in Tracfones system.
    With BYOP AT&T, Tracfone never asks for the IMEI, unless the phone is Tracfone branded, then they do ask for the IMEI.
    Yes, we all know it`s confusing. But you get to ask here for help in remembering.
    I swapped my active sim into the K8 and at first it still said no service but then I was able to send/receive a text using the K8. The settings show no APNs and network unknown. It did show my phone number. So it might work with my TF account, I'd probably have to manually add the right APN. I didn't try to send an MMS (photo) or try to use mobile data, figuring with no APN those wouldn't work. I did submit its IMEI a long time ago to see if it could be used as a BYOP on TF and it said yes. I had an inactive TF BYOP sim in it. I just figured the TF branded phones might work better for me since they come set up and no need to add APN. But now I hear the 365 day add on doesn't get offered to BYOP people anymore.

    Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,531
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The eBay exclusive is an airtime card that should not have an expiration date. It is on sale for $50, regular price is $60.
    Where did you see $60 as the regular price? I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,501
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Where did you see $60 as the regular price? I can't find any mention of it anywhere.
    When the ad first ran on Ebay, there was a statement "$5/month" in the upper right corner of the card image. So we deduced that its regular price would be $60. Nothing certain though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    5,896
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    US Cellular uses CDMA, is it possible to BYOP to TF with the K8? Or is CDMA being discontinued with TF?
    CDMA is being discontinued on Tracfone, as it is on any service running on Verizon. The LG K8 should be VoLTE compatible because it came out after USC had VoLTE. Question is whether Tracfone/Verizon will accept this USC phone. Run it through the Tracfone compatibility check.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    901
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    CDMA is being discontinued on Tracfone, as it is on any service running on Verizon. The LG K8 should be VoLTE compatible because it came out after USC had VoLTE. Question is whether Tracfone/Verizon will accept this USC phone. Run it through the Tracfone compatibility check.
    I did that when I bought it and it said it could be activated on TF as a BYOP but that was a long time ago. I should check it again. My Samsung Luna Pro is CDMA. But it is ok. I have two CDMA LG Fiestas (ST, SM) and I think they're okay. I guess most CDMA phones that are fairly new & 4gLTE will survive the switchover to VoLTE.

    Any of my phones that don't survive the switchover will be good for WiFi devices.

    Thanks for answering my question.

    Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. unlock request for v188 question
    By mizzeat_wizzah in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 12:34 AM
  2. ATT unlocked T68i Question
    By Quattro in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 10:24 AM
  3. v60g Unlocking/Network Question
    By WRX2k3 in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2002, 08:51 AM
  4. Unlock request - how long for response?
    By colorBlue in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2002, 04:29 PM
  5. Flashing Unlocking Tech Question, Plz Help!!!
    By KingTut in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2002, 12:27 PM

Bookmarks