Thread: T-Mobile Rolls Out/Renames One to Magenta - Matches OTHER CARRIER Discounts

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile Rolls Out/Renames One to Magenta - Matches OTHER CARRIER Discounts

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/uncarr...discount-match

T-Mobile is changing the name of T-Mobile One to T-Mobile Magenta, which looks very much like T-Mobile One, but comes with Netflix Standard and includes 3GB of LTE mobile hotspot (then unlimited 3G).

T-Mobile is also passing the $2 Netflix price increase along to customers on T-Mobile One, which can be averted if the customer downgrades their Netflix plan to Basic.

As a promotion, T-Mobile will match the affiliate, corporate, military type discounts from OTHER CARRIERS, in $5 increments (rounded up) up to $15 for single lines and $30 for multi-line plans. The way I read it is if I were hypothetically on Verizon and got a 20% discount on my $140 Verizon plan, they would call that $28, and round up to $30 and I could get a $30 discount on my Magenta plan.

OK, the PSA is over, here comes the mini-rant:
    Once again, a promo for switchers that leaves the Simple Choice crowd with discounts out. The funny thing is that I think my corporate discount from AT&T and Verizon would each be around 20%, and my "grandfathered" T-Mobile discount is 10%. But it's in large part that 10% discount (plus the two free for life data lines) that keeps me on SC. So what they are really telling me to do? Switch to Verizon for a month or two, then come back for a $30 discount? Why, oh why, would they want to incent that behavior --> that's just silly. Why not just include the SC discount people too?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    https://www.t-mobile.com/news/uncarr...discount-match

T-Mobile is changing the name of T-Mobile One to T-Mobile Magenta, which looks very much like T-Mobile One, but comes with Netflix Standard and includes 3GB of LTE mobile hotspot (then unlimited 3G).

T-Mobile is also passing the $2 Netflix price increase along to customers on T-Mobile One, which can be averted if the customer downgrades their Netflix plan to Basic.

As a promotion, T-Mobile will match the affiliate, corporate, military type discounts from OTHER CARRIERS, in $5 increments (rounded up) up to $15 for single lines and $30 for multi-line plans. The way I read it is if I were hypothetically on Verizon and got a 20% discount on my $140 Verizon plan, they would call that $28, and round up to $30 and I could get a $30 discount on my Magenta plan.

Once again, a promo for switchers that leaves the Simple Choice crowd with discounts out. The funny thing is that I think my corporate discount from AT&T and Verizon would each be around 20%, and my "grandfathered" T-Mobile discount is 10%. But it's in large part that 10% discount (plus the two free for life data lines) that keeps me on SC. So what they are really telling me to do? Switch to Verizon for a month or two, then come back for a $30 discount? Why, oh why, would they want to incent that behavior --> that's just silly. Why not just include the SC discount people too?
    That sucks... I'm going to have to pay $2 for Netflix.
    Currently, I wouldn't use AT&T or Verizon, as I'd be paying more... for less.
    My plan (including all fees, except the $2 Netflix), for 4 lines is $150 with autopay. Typically its $130 with kickback.
    AT&T's cheapest shared plan starts at $50/month.
    Verizon = $40/line x4 lines ... + taxes/fees - with autopay.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Switching from T-mobie ONE to Magenta is no brainer. We get, Free netflix (t-mobile one will charge $2) we also get 3gb LTE teather (t-mobile one has no LTE teathering) and thats it.. no downs, everything else remains the same as t-mobile one.

Magenta + netflix basic = standard definition, no HD; and only one screen at a time. but hey, it will be free.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don’t think it’s really worth it. TMO One seems like the better option.

It would also depend on the promos one has on their account as well.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    HAHAHA, I just jumped off Tmobile mainly because of the shenanigans around no more discounts and making the government discount super hard to re-obtain.

Well, that was one reason, the fact service keeps declining here in Phoenix as the major factor. They haven't fixed the corridor around 7th St. with all the restaurants. It was spotty there BEFORE all the shops showed up, now it's garbage for almost a mile around there.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    HAHAHA, I just jumped off Tmobile mainly because of the shenanigans around no more discounts and making the government discount super hard to re-obtain.

Well, that was one reason, the fact service keeps declining here in Phoenix as the major factor. They haven't fixed the corridor around 7th St. with all the restaurants. It was spotty there BEFORE all the shops showed up, now it's garbage for almost a mile around there.
    Congestion got so bad for me it was no longer usable

Most of my calls seemed to go straight to voicemail and wouldn't ring on my end

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    Switching from T-mobie ONE to Magenta is no brainer. We get, Free netflix (t-mobile one will charge $2) we also get 3gb LTE teather (t-mobile one has no LTE teathering) and thats it.. no downs, everything else remains the same as t-mobile one.

Magenta + netflix basic = standard definition, no HD; and only one screen at a time. but hey, it will be free.
    This so called benefit really depends on if you use tethering or Netflix.
    Since I have Netflix on my TV - HD is more appropriate, also since I have 4 lines, there's good chance that 1 or more will want to use it at the same time. I don't tether often - and when I do, I don't think my SSH console + VPN will notice much of a difference. It would be different if nobody else in my house used it, and I had 1 line.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology
    That's because T-Mobile wants you off the Simple Choice plan on to whatever they have at the moment. With T-Mobile One/Magenta they are including things you may not need and charge you accordingly, they can't do that with grandfathered plans, so the perks go to the customers with current plans. Is T-Mobile still the Uncarrier? Or is it becoming more and more like AT&T and Verizon Wireless?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes... It is becoming more like At&t/Verizon

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    That's because T-Mobile wants you off the Simple Choice plan on to whatever they have at the moment. With T-Mobile One/Magenta they are including things you may not need and charge you accordingly, they can't do that with grandfathered plans, so the perks go to the customers with current plans. Is T-Mobile still the Uncarrier? Or is it becoming more and more like AT&T and Verizon Wireless?
    To me uncarrier has been gone a while. Tmobile still offers some solid stuff but they are similar to Verizon and at&t now

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    To me uncarrier has been gone a while. Tmobile still offers some solid stuff but they are similar to Verizon and at&t now
    Except TM allows it's customers to retain their old plans indefinitely. I have been bitten by both Verizon and AT&T on this in the past. I have a good deal now and intend to ride it out as long as they'll let me.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Except TM allows it's customers to retain their old plans indefinitely. I have been bitten by both Verizon and AT&T on this in the past. I have a good deal now and intend to ride it out as long as they'll let me.
    I had to give up my grandfathered UNL on Verizon when I got my iPhone X. I can’t remember if that was a hard rule or just because I chose to go with their financing plan. Either way I was at least happy to retain unlimited even if it had the depri after 22gb. I never use that much on my line anyway.

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Yeah T-Mobile seems good with letting people keep plans

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When i switched from AT&T to TM, I had to give up my 15% discount. I'm on T-Mobile One now. Can i get that discount added now?
    "Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling."

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm assuming for a single line user along with one plus promo its not worth moving?