Thread: Activating VOLTE on MOTO 5G Plus

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Activating VOLTE on MOTO 5G Plus

How can VOLTE be activated on my MOTO 5G Plus? When I place a call off WIFI, I cannot access the internet via data. I can find no option to turn VOLTE on via my settings. I contacted Tracfone chat and they said the phone did not have VOLTE capabilities. When I questioned that response, they told me to contact the manufacturer.

Background - BYOP currently running Androd Version: 8.1.0. The MOTO was originally activated on Page Plus. About a year ago I put in a Tracfone SIM (triple card off Ebay) that had been active on an iphone as I wanted to move the iphone telephone number to the MOTO.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed. TIA

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm assuming you're using your Moto 5G Plus with a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM.
    1. Search the Internet for "moto g5 plus volte settings" and you'll see info on how to turn on VoLTE.
    2. If you don't see that setting in your G5 Plus, or it's there but grayed out, then the SIM is not provisioned for VoLTE. If that's the case, read on.

To get a SIM provisioned for VoLTE:
    1. You can transfer service out to another phone then transfer back to the same SIM. This re-activation (treated as a new activation) usually triggers VoLTE to be provisioned. I did that with a J3 Sky last September.
    2. You can contact TF and ask the rep to provision the SIM for VoLTE. This requires a highly proficient rep, probably a Level 3 (?) support.
    3. You can wait until TF provisioned VoLTE en masse to all SIMs. Who knows when/if that will happen?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank you so much! Yes it is a TF/Verizon SIM. I looked yesterday for the settings, and they are not there. I'll try chatting during the week and see if I can find a proficient rep. Having the correct terminology is helpful.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bowen43 View Post
    Thank you so much! Yes it is a TF/Verizon SIM. I looked yesterday for the settings, and they are not there. I'll try chatting during the week and see if I can find a proficient rep. Having the correct terminology is helpful.
    try dialing *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show select phone information scroll down a little ways and you should see some switches for VoLTE - WIFI -Calling ect

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'll try chatting during the week and see if I can find a proficient rep. Having the correct terminology is helpful.
    Another forum member (I don't remember who) knows a way to escalate a contact with TF to the highest technical level to get VoLTE provisioned. Maybe he'll chime in.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try dialing *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show select phone information scroll down a little ways and you should see some switches for VoLTE - WIFI -Calling ect
    I'd try this first. Had to do that on all my E4s before Enhanced LTE would show in the setiings.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'd try this first. Had to do that on all my E4s before Enhanced LTE would show in the setiings.
    Thanks - I'm trying *#*#4636#*#* and having an issue getting the setting to stick. I've tried setting/restarting/toggling the secret setting/toggling the phone setting in a number of different ways, but it the Volte setting does not remain. Maybe it has something to do with my rather rural area. At least this gets me closer to resolution. I'll keep researching and trying. I'll call TF on Monday if I don't have any luck.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do a chat and ask for a telephone number and a referral number for the higher level agents in Miami. Miami is Monday thru Friday.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do a chat and ask for a telephone number and a referral number for the higher level agents in Miami. Miami is Monday thru Friday.
    Thanks - I'll give that a try

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Background - BYOP currently running Androd Version: 8.1.0. The MOTO was originally activated on Page Plus. About a year ago I put in a Tracfone SIM (triple card off Ebay) that had been active on an iphone as I wanted to move the iphone telephone number to the MOTO.
    Do you mean a Moto G5 Plus, and not a 5G? I have one on TF/VZW and it had no problem with VoLTE.

A TF SIM activated a year ago may not be provisioned for VoLTE. This changed around June-July. Seems to me a simple service transfer from the swapped iPhone SIM to a new BYOP SIM in the G5 would satisfy the provisioning.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Swapping SIM's is asking for trouble. You should use a new SIM with a new phone and use the "upgrade device" option on their website (or call support). That will require the phone IMEI and the SIM serial. After that it would ask if you want to keep an existing number (from the ones you have on the plan) or get a new one.
    Name:  upgrade.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  11.4 KB

Also, very important - the Moto G5 should NOT had been activated previously on any Tracfone network. If it was, you need that SPECIFIC SIM that was in it, at that time, because now the phone and SIM are "married" in the Tracfone servers. This is to prevent "migration" of customers between the Tracfone brands.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 05-26-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Success! - Thank you all so much. It really helps to have the correct terminology and to know what to expect. I started a chat by asking that the TFW SIM be provisioned. The rep said she could do it, then realized that I had swapped SIMs. I asked if it would be easier to active a new SIM (thankfully I had an extra one from Ebay) and transfer the service. That is what we did. I also requested that she remove the annoying pre-call announcement that I had due to porting over from PagePlus. She was able to do that too. So, I have VoLTE and no pre-all announcement (you have zero dollars and one cent) :-). Now to go phone shopping as I have two older phones that need to be upgraded by the end of the year....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Success! - So, I have VoLTE
    After the SIM was provisioned, did you have to turn on VoLTE in Settings, or it was turned on automatically?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    After the SIM was provisioned, did you have to turn on VoLTE in Settings, or it was turned on automatically?
    As soon as the phone came up I looked and it was not there. Magically it appeared within seconds and it was turned on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As soon as the phone came up I looked and it was not there. Magically it appeared within seconds and it was turned on.
    That was the same case with my TF-branded J3 Sky. Initially it didn't have a setting to turn on VoLTE. But after I got the SIM provisioned for VoLTE, there was a new setting added (like the Straight Talk J3).

Name:  Samsung-Sky-Comparison.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  45.5 KB