Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really Need Help Replacing Phone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Really Need Help Replacing Phone

Sorry for this long thread, but I really am clueless about cell phone technology, and I'm almost in tears trying to get this all sorted out.

My husband and I have 2 Tracfones. Mine is a cheap Motorola that will need to be replaced before the end of the year. I get a great signal, I can talk from my basement. He had an unlocked Galaxy 4 with an ATT BYOP sim card. He's had it for a couple years, but in the last year it has stopped working properly, meaning that he can't get a signal at most locations close to home any more. Combined with the fact that he cracked the screen, I am trying to get him a new phone.

I called Tracfone and asked what network my old, cheap phone uses. They told me it was T-Mobile. So I specifically bought a phone (used) that was unlocked and compatible with T-Mobile along with a new BYOP kit. I did not buy the phone from T-Mobile.

I'll skip a lot of the minutiae but suffice to say the new phone isn't any better than the old one. At this point the phone reps just seem to throw out random statements designed to get me off the phone. The last rep I spoke to asked for my zip code, and then told me that Tracfone wasn't a good solution for me because they don't service this area. Their coverage map says otherwise, but whatever.

When I told her my phone worked perfectly here, she asked for the number and then told me it is on the Verizon network.

I am probably going to have to buy two more phones. I have to replace mine, and I guess I am going to have to replace his as well. Should I just believe now that I need a Verizon network phone?

I don't understand why his phone used to work here and now it doesn't but that's not important at this moment.

Really missing my landline about now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaTC View Post
    Sorry for this long thread, but I really am clueless about cell phone technology, and I'm almost in tears trying to get this all sorted out.

My husband and I have 2 Tracfones. Mine is a cheap Motorola that will need to be replaced before the end of the year. I get a great signal, I can talk from my basement. He had an unlocked Galaxy 4 with an ATT BYOP sim card. He's had it for a couple years, but in the last year it has stopped working properly, meaning that he can't get a signal at most locations close to home any more. Combined with the fact that he cracked the screen, I am trying to get him a new phone.

I called Tracfone and asked what network my old, cheap phone uses. They told me it was T-Mobile. So I specifically bought a phone (used) that was unlocked and compatible with T-Mobile along with a new BYOP kit. I did not buy the phone from T-Mobile.

I'll skip a lot of the minutiae but suffice to say the new phone isn't any better than the old one. At this point the phone reps just seem to throw out random statements designed to get me off the phone. The last rep I spoke to asked for my zip code, and then told me that Tracfone wasn't a good solution for me because they don't service this area. Their coverage map says otherwise, but whatever.

When I told her my phone worked perfectly here, she asked for the number and then told me it is on the Verizon network.

I am probably going to have to buy two more phones. I have to replace mine, and I guess I am going to have to replace his as well. Should I just believe now that I need a Verizon network phone?

I don't understand why his phone used to work here and now it doesn't but that's not important at this moment.

Really missing my landline about now. Any advice would be appreciated.
    What is the model name/number of your phone with good reception?
    I suggest HSN.com for replacement phones. They have some TracFones bundled with airtime at good prices. If it mentions CDMA in the specifications, the phone will use the Verizon network.

Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    What is the model name/number of your phone with good reception?
    I suggest HSN.com for replacement phones. They have some TracFones bundled with airtime at good prices. If it mentions CDMA in the specifications, the phone will use the Verizon network.

Sent from my moto x4 using [U2]HoFo mobile app[/URL]
    My phone is a Motorola Moto E. And now I see that it says it is a CDMA. Like I said, I don't understand the technology. Does that mean it is Verizon or Tracfone, or can you tell?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My phone is a Motorola Moto E. And now I see that it says it is a CDMA. Like I said, I don't understand the technology. Does that mean it is Verizon or Tracfone, or can you tell?
    CDMA and GSM are two main cellphone technologies, sort of like Coke and Pepsi, or VHS and Betamax. In the US, CDMA is used mainly by Verizon and its subsidiaries. GSM is used by AT&T, T-mobile, and their subsidiaries.

Tracfone is a service provider, also know as Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO). Tracfone doesn't have its own carrier network, towers, etc. Tracfone buys service from AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon so Tracfone customers can use them.

If you have a Tracfone CDMA phone, it uses Verizon network. If you have a Tracfone GSM phone, it uses either AT&T or T-mobile, depending on the SIM that is in the phone.

Post the first 6 digits of a SIM card number and we can tell you which network it uses.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Welcome to the wonderful world of TF Customer Service! It keeps these forums going.

The XT830C Moto E. is an early CDMA 3G smartphone. Tracfone did not have any more Moto models until recently.

The Galaxy S4 could suffer from a few things, one being AT&T has been shutting down 3G capacity in some areas.

If Verizon has the best signal there, that's the way to go. Almost all current model Tracfones run on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post

Post the first 6 digits of a SIM card number and we can tell you which network it uses.
    The Moto E is a CDMA 3G phone without a SIM card.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Moto E is a CDMA 3G phone without a SIM card.
    Then it’s definitely Verizon. I would check out HSN for tracfone phones and minute bundles.

If you want android you can always buy an unlocked phone from websites like Motorola and even google. The pixel 3a is a great new phone that will last for a while.

swappa.com is a good site for used phones.

Depends on if you want android or Apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    CDMA and GSM are two main cellphone technologies, sort of like Coke and Pepsi, or VHS and Betamax. In the US, CDMA is used mainly by Verizon and its subsidiaries. GSM is used by AT&T, T-mobile, and their subsidiaries.

Tracfone is a service provider, also know as Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO). Tracfone doesn't have its own carrier network, towers, etc. Tracfone buys service from AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon so Tracfone customers can use them.

If you have a Tracfone CDMA phone, it uses Verizon network. If you have a Tracfone GSM phone, it uses either AT&T or T-mobile, depending on the SIM that is in the phone.

This phone does not have a SIM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of TF Customer Service! It keeps these forums going.

The XT830C Moto E. is an early CDMA 3G smartphone. Tracfone did not have any more Moto models until recently.

The Galaxy S4 could suffer from a few things, one being AT&T has been shutting down 3G capacity in some areas.

If Verizon has the best signal there, that's the way to go. Almost all current model Tracfones run on Verizon.
    That's good to know, since apparently I can't ask Tracfone.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When you locate an interesting phone post back here for our thoughts on it, both good and bad.

It might be a good idea to take your husband's phone by an AT&T store and ask them to look it over and tell you the reason it is faltering.
    You should be able to get the necessary Info out of them to know what you should do with it, without it costing you anything.
    But don`t let them sell you an overpriced replacement that may not even work with Tracfone.
    Its always a good idea with two Tracfones to have two different network providers during times of emergency, when only one might catch a signal.
    I have one Tracfone on Verizon and one on AT&T, both networks have a good signal.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    When you locate an interesting phone post back here for our thoughts on it, both good and bad.

It might be a good idea to take your husband's phone by an AT&T store and ask them to look it over and tell you the reason it is faltering.
    You should be able to get the necessary Info out of them to know what you should do with it, without it costing you anything.
    But don`t let them sell you an overpriced replacement that may not even work with Tracfone.
    Its always a good idea with two Tracfones to have two different network providers during times of emergency, when only one might catch a signal.
    I have one Tracfone on Verizon and one on AT&T, both networks have a good signal.
    I don't know enough about phones to have any interesting thoughts about them. I spent a few hours reading various threads here on the forums, and I think I am going to go with a different provider for him. He talks on his phone a lot, so it isn't a big deal if his minutes don't carry over. But my schedule is a little different, in that I use a lot of minutes but only every 2 or 3 months. It looks like it will be better for him if we explore the eBay option I found here.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The next issue with Verizon is they are going to drop their CDMA network. There is so many Verizon phones out there that it is crazy. Just make sure is it is not a LTE data/CDMA voice Verizon phone. Once Verizon drops their CDMA network, CDMA voice phones will not work. So you need to make sure you get a phone that supports Verizon LTE and Verizon's VoLTE.

If you are looking on eBay, I would say be careful still because they could be a stolen or lost phones too. They can't be activated too.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The next issue with Verizon is they are going to drop their CDMA network. There is so many Verizon phones out there that it is crazy. Just make sure is it is not a LTE data/CDMA voice Verizon phone. Once Verizon drops their CDMA network, CDMA voice phones will not work. So you need to make sure you get a phone that supports Verizon LTE and Verizon's VoLTE.

If you are looking on eBay, I would say be careful still because they could be a stolen or lost phones too. They can't be activated too.
    I don't know squat about cell phones but I do know more about eBay than the average eBayer. Their seller protection is one of the reasons I buy from there. Having said that, shopping for a cell phone there is a horrible experience. I type in "Verizon Unlocked" and get tons of phones that say they're GSM and Locked in the fine print. There's no simple way to shop by network.

I have a ton of questions.

One review says, " I purchased an "unlocked" version (which resulted an AT&T unlocked, not a pure unlocked). " What does that mean?

Will a Galaxy 5 be compatible with the volte thing? If not, what's a good, used phone (hopefully under $100) that's compatible with the new technology. Would like to have a removable battery, and a headphone jack is a must because we use a square chipreader.

I can't provide links because I am too new, but eBay has a RedPocket deal for a CDMA card that says it is HD voice compatible. Is that the same as LTE / VoLTE?
    Last edited by AngelaTC; 05-27-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Will a Galaxy 5 be compatible with the volte thing? If not, what's a good, used phone (hopefully under $100) that's compatible with the new technology. Would like to have a removable battery, and a headphone jack is a must because we use a square chipreader.

I can't provide links because I am too new, but eBay has a RedPocket deal for a CDMA card that says it is HD voice compatible. Is that the same as LTE / VoLTE?
    The Galaxy s5 is pretty old and may have issues.

In your case just keep it simple. https://www.hsn.com/products/samsung...minute/9130111 or one of their other TF offerings. This one has 1500minutes/texts/data for a year. After that you can move it to another carrier if you want. I'm sure others will have their recommendations but if you just want to keep things simple and get into a new phone HSN is probably the best place to go.

And yes, for your basic understanding VoLTE=HD voice=Enhanced LTE=Advanced calling. Different phones call it different things.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The Galaxy s5 is pretty old and may have issues.

In your case just keep it simple. https://www.hsn.com/products/samsung...minute/9130111 or one of their other TF offerings. This one has 1500minutes/texts/data for a year. After that you can move it to another carrier if you want. I'm sure others will have their recommendations but if you just want to keep things simple and get into a new phone HSN is probably the best place to go.

And yes, for your basic understanding VoLTE=HD voice=Enhanced LTE=Advanced calling. Different phones call it different things.
    Thank you for the HSN links. They really are very competitive. Can I be assured they are Verizon phones?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast