Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rural connection issues

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Rural connection issues

I have the iPad unlimited plan with the sim in a MoFi modem router. Over the past month I've had issues with it losing internet. I used to get speeds in the 20mb range and now its around 5mb to not even working at times. Attached is a screenshot of the modem status. I have a parabolic antenna attached to the modem due to living in a rural area. Any ideal what could be going on?
    Name:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  30.9 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Try putting the Sim in your cellphone
    And see if internet works.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Blb16 View Post
    I have the iPad unlimited plan with the sim in a MoFi modem router. Over the past month I've had issues with it losing internet. I used to get speeds in the 20mb range and now its around 5mb to not even working at times. Attached is a screenshot of the modem status. I have a parabolic antenna attached to the modem due to living in a rural area. Any ideal what could be going on?
    Name:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  30.9 KB
    Was it always on band 2?

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Was it always on band 2?

This the antenna I’m using Hyperlink Brand 1.9 GHz 22 dBi Parabolic Grid Antenna - doesn’t it work just on band 2?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Try putting the Sim in your cellphone
    And see if internet works.

Put it in my iPad and drove to tower location. Hitting 22mb down

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    also noticing it switches from active to inactive on the carrier aggregation

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’ve sometimes seen devices lock to band 2 after it was deployed even if performance was worse. May want to switch to an antenna that doesn’t pick up band 2 or disable band 2.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Current Device: Silver 256 GB iPhone X
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Blb16 View Post
    This the antenna I’m using Hyperlink Brand 1.9 GHz 22 dBi Parabolic Grid Antenna - doesn’t it work just on band 2?
    You should get an antenna that can receive all bands. You're limiting yourself and the CA advantages.

Also, band 2 is at 5 mhz. What other bands besides 12 are deployed?
    CA will only activate during an active data session.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Your problem isn't the band 2 it's the 5 MHz.

I have almost the identical setup as you, band 2 parabolic grid, Mofi clone, tablet sim, tower 7+ miles away and I average 40 down, 30 up. The difference is my band 2 is 15 mhz.

All the band 12's around me are 5 mhz and even with CA on (with multi-band yagi's) the results are significantly inferior to the single parabolic locked on band 2.

The first thing I'd check is that your antenna aiming is perfect. One inch either way can lose your signal with a parabolic. If you're dead on you might want to check on any other towers in your area, things are always changing (bandwidth, tower antenna pointing, new towers, etc.).

Has your band 2 always been 5 mhz? My download speeds went from 25 to 40 down which had me perplexed until I noticed a bandwidth increase from 10 to 15 mhz from the tower. Also leaves filling out the trees can be a significant factor
    Last edited by coldknob; 05-29-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What would be the best antenna to get? Bands 2 & 12 is all

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, ZTE Max, LG Stylo 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Carrier aggregation will only show active when it is downloading. If you run a speed test it should kick in on the download but will stop on the upload.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have found a great group on FB for this exact thing. I am also running a Mofi but on grandfathered unlimited plan with dedicated hotspot line. I am using a mimo panel antenna TECHTOO Hi-Gain 3G 4G LTE Antenna Indoor Outdoor 10dBi Directional Wide Band MIMO Antenna 698-2690MHz Panel Antenna Wall Mounting kit for Cellphone Signal Amplifier/MiFi Jetpack/Mobile Hotspot Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODY8PME..._m3c-CbWRMYAGE
    I only get band 12LTE and band 5HSPA. I am locked to band 5 because it is actually faster and more stable on a consistent basis.

Check out lte hacks on FB. They are a wealth of info and one of the guys that runs the page sells most anything you would need to make sure you are running the best you can.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cyorke View Post
    I have found a great group on FB for this exact thing. I am also running a Mofi but on grandfathered unlimited plan with dedicated hotspot line. I am using a mimo panel antenna TECHTOO Hi-Gain 3G 4G LTE Antenna Indoor Outdoor 10dBi Directional Wide Band MIMO Antenna 698-2690MHz Panel Antenna Wall Mounting kit for Cellphone Signal Amplifier/MiFi Jetpack/Mobile Hotspot Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODY8PME..._m3c-CbWRMYAGE
    I only get band 12LTE and band 5HSPA. I am locked to band 5 because it is actually faster and more stable on a consistent basis.

Check out lte hacks on FB. They are a wealth of info and one of the guys that runs the page sells most anything you would need to make sure you are running the best you can.

So what kind of actual speed improvement do you see with that set up?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    So what kind of actual speed improvement do you see with that set up?
    Mine wasn't so much an improvement in speed as much as it is consistent. Locked on band 5 I stay at about 6-8mbps. Prior to antenna it was 4-6. On band 12 it varies between 4-10mbps but stays closer to 4. Plus I don't think there is any deprioritization on HSPA.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had the same issue with out in the sticks as you. It is a carrier aggregation issue for me. I use a rooter box and can watch the signal and tower info. It will show you bouncing around to different band combos and towers, losing connectivity in the process. It happened to me several months ago, and I switched over to band 30 and left it. a month or so later, I unlocked the bands and CA worked great for a couple of months and then the same thing started again, loss of connectivity, slow speeds. I have been locked back to band 30 again. It doesn't seem to be a signal level issue, as that hasn't changed. A few times, i have logged the issue on the Mark the Spot app and they have told me that it is a network issue. IDK. You might try locking it to 2 only and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast