Thread: WSJ: Altice’s pending mobile service could be half the price of wireless rivals

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

WSJ: Altice’s pending mobile service could be half the price of wireless rivals

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ireless-rivals

Altice is gearing up to launch a mobile wireless service that’ll cost half of what major wireless carriers charge customers, according to a report from Wall Street Journal (WSJ).

Altice is planning to test the mobile service with its own employees in the next few weeks, and will launch the service later this summer. WSJ reports Altice will charge between $20 and $30 per month for the service, but added that a spokesperson for the company said the pricing hadn’t yet been set.

The network will run on Sprint’s wireless network and will be augmented by Altice’s network of public Wi-Fi hotspots and customers’ home Wi-Fi networks. The company has deployed more than 19,000 small cells in less than one year through its partnership with Sprint, while Altice USA CEO Dexter Goei has said in the past that he expects the mobile service to be profitable “right out of the box.”

Altice is the latest cable company to venture into the mobile service market as cable TV subscriptions contract. Comcast and Charter have both launched their own mobile services in recent years in hopes to retaining more customers.

At the same time, wireless carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile are in the midst of launching home broadband services using 5G fixed wireless, which may pose a competitive threat against cable operators’ booming broadband business in the coming years.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I guess it all depends on what the "between $20 and $30 per month for the service" actually includes.

It's already not as good as Xfinity or Spectrum, since it's using Sprint.

But if it's unlimited everything for "between $20 and $30 per month", maybe that will work for some people in certain areas where Sprint works well.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Given Sprint gave away their service for free, how is something $20-30 half the cost?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Given Sprint gave away their service for free, how is something $20-30 half the cost?
    Is that still available through Sprint?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Is that still available through Sprint?
    I don't think so, but lots of people are still in the midst of their Sprint free year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't think so, but lots of people are still in the midst of their Sprint free year.
    True - Like many, I just started my third free year, by the way, before the well-publicized Free Plan cut-off date of April 4. That will take me to May 2020.

For people who missed that, Unlimited KickStart is still available for $25 a month
    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans...kickstart.html

Even that should still be better than the Altice offering because it does not try to force you onto Wifi.

But new competitors never compare their offering to low-price/niche offers.

They always compare their new service to overpriced mainstream prices. KickStart (or even more so the Free Plan) is semi-hidden and not visible to the average consumer.

The Free Plan was never intended or allowed to compete against Sprint's regular priced plans in the broader market of stores, television and print advertising, etc.

Sprint would have killed those plans in a nanosecond if they started cannibalizing their mainstream postpaid plans more than incidentally. They have to maintain their ARPU as well as their total number of customers.

Postpaid customers in general are still being pitched, and paying, ludicrously high rates.

Here's on example for amusement's sake:

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans...p:ComparePlans
    Last edited by comintel; 05-29-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've never really paid too much attention to Sprint, but that $25/mo Unlimited KickStart looks pretty attractive. But I just did a chat, and the CSR said it does NOT include service in Canada or Mexico or any other international service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've never really paid too much attention to Sprint, but that $25/mo Unlimited KickStart looks pretty attractive. But I just did a chat, and the CSR said it does NOT include service in Canada or Mexico or any other international service.
    That is wrong. Global Roaming is included in all Sprint Plans.
    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/servi...l-roaming.html

What the ill-informed rep may have in mind is that you cannot add Premium International Experience
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...lobal_roaming/

Basic data and texts are free but voice calls are expensive.

Just fyi re cost, taxes and fees add about $4 on top of the $25 (varying by where you live).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That is wrong. Global Roaming is included in all Sprint Plans.
    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/servi...l-roaming.html

What the ill-informed rep may have in mind is that you cannot add Premium International Experience
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...lobal_roaming/

Basic data and texts are free but voice calls are expensive.

Just fyi re cost, taxes and fees add about $4 on top of the $25 (varying by where you live).
    Either the CSR was incompetent or lying, since the CSR said I'd have to move up to the $60/mo Unlimited Basic plan to get service in Canada and Mexico.

Anyway, thank you for the correction and the link.

From the info at that link, it looks like with Sprint, in Canada and Mexico, speeds are limited to 2G, compared to T-Mobile, with LTE service in Canada and Mexico up to 5GB/mo. Is that correct?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Either the CSR was incompetent or lying, since the CSR said I'd have to move up to the $60/mo Unlimited Basic plan to get service in Canada and Mexico.

Anyway, thank you for the correction and the link.

From the info at that link, it looks like with Sprint, in Canada and Mexico, speeds are limited to 2G, compared to T-Mobile, with LTE service in Canada and Mexico up to 5GB/mo. Is that correct?
    I think you may find you may do better than that in practice.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm...eds_in_canada/

But that may not apply to KickStart.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-29-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I live in an area where Altice/suddenlink (bought by Altice a few years back) is a service provider. I'll probably get a lot of marketing stuff in the mail etc. Depending on the price and what it offers, I might give it a try.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I live in an area where Altice/suddenlink (bought by Altice a few years back) is a service provider. I'll probably get a lot of marketing stuff in the mail etc. Depending on the price and what it offers, I might give it a try.
    Since they are talking Wifi calling as a backup or adjunct to Sprint cellular it will probably only be for phones they sell, not the phone you have.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Since they are talking Wifi calling as a backup or adjunct to Sprint cellular it will probably only be for phones they sell, not the phone you have.
    I hadn't thought of that. So if its anything like charter of comcast, there won't be a byod any time soon, and when it comes out greatly limited to just a few supported devices