Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question about reception

I currently have 6 lines with Verizon Wireless and live in the suburbs of Boston. Verizon coverage had worked out perfectly for me but the billing drives me nuts. For 6 lines of unlimited I'm paying about $260 a month after taxes and fees. T-Mobile currently has a promotion where I can get 6 lines for $180 plus the additional perks like Netflix on us which is a $10 value. I had a friend who switched over and got an iPhone XR and says he gets a lot of dropped calls in the area. My question is the reception like the map says or is it overly exaggerated? I have read reports that the iPhone XR itself has had issues with it's hardware and dropped calls so I'm not sure if my friend can give me honest feedback.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Get a prepaid SIM and test drive the service with a LTE B12 compatible phone. Maps are inaccurate and sometimes an outright lie.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No one has ever accused any Apple iPhone as having good reception.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/28...ndwidth-tests/

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do not trust T-Mobile's coverage maps, particularly in areas marked "Fair" service. "Fair" in T-Mobile-speak means "Maybe".
    Go to 3rd party sources like Sensorly, RootMetrics and CellMapper. Better, as @L33 suggests, get a T-Mobile-based prepaid for a month and test it in an unlocked phone.

If you do decide to switch, your current phones may be usable on T-Mobile's network after they're unlocked. What make and model phones are you using and are they paid-off?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a Note 9 unlocked from Verizon and all of my lines are paid off. All of the phones are fully compatible with T-Mobile bands. I will start with a prepaid phone line and go from there.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by eprius View Post
    I currently have 6 lines with Verizon Wireless and live in the suburbs of Boston. Verizon coverage had worked out perfectly for me but the billing drives me nuts. For 6 lines of unlimited I'm paying about $260 a month after taxes and fees. T-Mobile currently has a promotion where I can get 6 lines for $180 plus the additional perks like Netflix on us which is a $10 value. I had a friend who switched over and got an iPhone XR and says he gets a lot of dropped calls in the area. My question is the reception like the map says or is it overly exaggerated? I have read reports that the iPhone XR itself has had issues with it's hardware and dropped calls so I'm not sure if my friend can give me honest feedback.
    All carrier coverage maps are exaggerated. AT&T is particularly bad. T-Mobile has updated theirs recently. They used to just paint my entire small town-suburbia-rural area as solid excellent LTE signal, which it is not - not even close. Looking at their map today they show it in three color levels of signal.

If you zoom down to the map showing a couple of miles it shows more realistic results. If you click on a spot on the map it will show info about what to expect. If it says Fair, don't expect anything indoors. I would try that on some locations of interest to you.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

As someone else said, you can try T-Mo on a prepaid MVNO before making a big commitment. You could do it with Tracfone for $15.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by eprius View Post
    That would depend on what you mean by 'suburbs of Boston'.
    I've been downtown Boston, and the service was good (last October). When I was out a little ways (Fitchburg), service was not so good. Lost service in Walmart/Texas Roadhouse in Leominster - when the site was literally right at the exit. < 1/2 mile away.
    The map is overly exaggerated. Look to cellmapper.net for local coverage/sites. I've also heard of issues with iPhone XR. LG G7 is relatively cheap if you don't mind Android. If you have an unlocked phone... try a SIM in it for a while and see if it works for you.
    Last edited by formercanuck; 05-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Trust your friend. Specially because he lives around you. Just on this I'd say you'd be miserable with TM dropped calls.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19