Thread: About to make the switch to AT&T prepaid. Any last min tip / caveat to watch out for?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

About to make the switch to AT&T prepaid. Any last min tip / caveat to watch out for?

Hello All,

I may potentially make the jump next month. Here is what I am looking for in a prepaid plan:
    1) At least 3GB of data per month.
    2) Calling, text and data roaming in Canada & Mexico (Europe and Asia would be great but not realistic), and
    3) Full speed (3g to 4g speed) hotspot required.

I am currently on Tmobile Simply Prepaid $40 plan which allows 3GB of data and full speed hotspot. However, roaming in Canada & Mexico is an extra $5 (Up to 5GB). However, the webpage is very misleading as the roaming data is coming out straight from my plan so theoretically, I can have only 3GB roaming in Canada and Mexico. Been very unhappy about how deceiving T-mobile website is (they updated the language on the prepaid page after I made a complaint yesterday) and how clueless the customer service were when they helped sign me up the $5 roaming plan.

Anyway, I found out for the same $40, AT&T Prepaid offers 8GB of data, Hotspot included (Can anyone confirm if it's full speed?), and roaming in Canada & Mexico included too. Sounds like an awesome plan to me. Wonder if there are other prepaid plan that offers even better deal than this? Also, if there is a good site to purchase the ATT prepaid plan card please let me know too. Really appreciate the help!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just left Verizon prepaid where I had 8 GB and a bonus 7 GB every month for $50/month. I bought all my refill cards off eBay for a 40% savings, so I paid around $30/month.

My ATT plan is the same, but with auto pay itís $40/month, and then with taxes itís like $47.50. Without autopay, itís $50/month. I hoped I could still buy eBay refill cards (although theyíre not discounted anywhere even close to Verizonís refill cards) and get the autopay discount. Unfortunately, I was told that if I refill with cards I will lose my $10/month autopay discount. I havenít refilled yet so I canít confirm that to be true, but thatís what I was told.

My ONLY reason for switching is because I have DirecTv Now and can stream that service using ATT service without using my internet data. That was important to me for when I go camping. However, due to the cost increase, and the spotty service in my area, Iím probably going to switch back to Verizon prepaid as soon as itís too late to camp in my camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    I just left Verizon prepaid where I had 8 GB and a bonus 7 GB every month for $50/month. I bought all my refill cards off eBay for a 40% savings, so I paid around $30/month.

My ATT plan is the same, but with auto pay it’s $40/month, and then with taxes it’s like $47.50. Without autopay, it’s $50/month. I hoped I could still buy eBay refill cards (although they’re not discounted anywhere even close to Verizon’s refill cards) and get the autopay discount. Unfortunately, I was told that if I refill with cards I will lose my $10/month autopay discount. I haven’t refilled yet so I can’t confirm that to be true, but that’s what I was told.

My ONLY reason for switching is because I have DirecTv Now and can stream that service using ATT service without using my internet data. That was important to me for when I go camping. However, due to the cost increase, and the spotty service in my area, I’m probably going to switch back to Verizon prepaid as soon as it’s too late to camp in my camper.

I just switched to Verizon Prepaid, and that is $45/month with Autopay, $5/less than the $50 without autopay. I'll presumably buy discounted PINs to save money (I've watch listed an eBay page, or just do Target sale).

With ATT Prepaid, I was paying $40/month using using the Autopay discount then saving more by buying discounted SIMs. I had the autopay discount for a year in spite of using refill PINs.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

My ATT plan is the same, but with auto pay it’s $40/month, and then with taxes it’s like $47.50. Without autopay, it’s $50/month. I hoped I could still buy eBay refill cards (although they’re not discounted anywhere even close to Verizon’s refill cards) and get the autopay discount. Unfortunately, I was told that if I refill with cards I will lose my $10/month autopay discount. I haven’t refilled yet so I can’t confirm that to be true, but that’s what I was told.

My ONLY reason for switching is because I have DirecTv Now and can stream that service using ATT service without using my internet data. That was important to me for when I go camping. However, due to the cost increase, and the spotty service in my area, I’m probably going to switch back to Verizon prepaid as soon as it’s too late to camp in my camper.

You were told incorrect information.

I still get my autopay discount even though I use my refill cards. You just have to have a credit/debit card on file with AT&T to get the autopay discount. Then just add the refills to your account to get the tax and other savings.
    Durham, NC

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I just switched to Verizon Prepaid, and that is $45/month with Autopay, $5/less than the $50 without autopay. I'll presumably buy discounted PINs to save money (I've watch listed an eBay page, or just do Target sale).

With ATT Prepaid, I was paying $40/month using using the Autopay discount then saving more by buying discounted SIMs. I had the autopay discount for a year in spite of using refill PINs.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    You were told incorrect information.

I still get my autopay discount even though I use my refill cards. You just have to have a credit/debit card on file with AT&T to get the autopay discount. Then just add the refills to your account to get the tax and other savings.
    Thank you both. I asked several people and each told me the same thing, but Iím happy to hear they were wrong. ATT service is worse than Verizon where Iím at, so I wasnít too thrilled about paying more for worse service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does the verizon prepaid gives hotspot?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whohasaquestion View Post
    Does the verizon prepaid gives hotspot?
    Yes

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So you were paying about $30/month for 15 GB of data plus UTnT on Verizon's network? That seems like an incredible deal.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
    So you were paying about $30/month for 15 GB of data plus UTnT on Verizon's network? That seems like an incredible deal.
    It's sort of a YMMV because Verizon Prepaid speeds - from multiple reports - seem to get throttled more frequently than AT&T does.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had something similar, but Verizon Prepaid was almost unusable most of the time due to deprioritization in my area, so it wasn't worth it if I couldn't use the data.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Iíd buy $40 refill cards from eBay for ~$24.00 (and no tax), which is a 40% savings. Every now and then Iíd have to buy 2 cards to have $50 in my Verizon account to refill. I was not signed up for Autopay because I didnít know I could save even more if I was on autopay.

I donít know what UTnT means, but my service was through Verizon prepaid.

$50.00 * 60% = $30.00 but could have been less if I was signed up for autopay.

I got in on a double data for life when it was offered earlier this year, so I think actually I had 16GB/month. I never used much data, so I always started new months with something like 24GBís because of rollover data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Currently on Verizon prepaid from att prepaid because I couldnít get 8+8 as an existing customer. Deprioritization is really hard on Verizon prepaid. I went to an event and an hour before the event started til we left the area my data was useless. I tethered to an att iPhone and got 25 down when I couldnít even get 1 down. And just now, sitting home I go from 50+ Mbps to 1-5 Mbps minutes later. Never had that with att. I could save money by being on Verizon but I hate the unusable speeds at times.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:
    https://imgur.com/a/UMj1hM1

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I checked my speeds at work today. And about 3.5/1.2. But it was usable for my hotspot usage since the new building wi-fi has certificate issues that make https difficult.