Thread: Group Messaging / MMS / RoboSpam

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Group Messaging / MMS / RoboSpam

I'll start this thread since it likely applies to all phones and carriers. Maybe a better place for it but there's a good knowledge base in here.

Today was a first for me. I got 2 "group" robo/spam texts. 18 other phone numbers in each. Same text, different origin phone#. Since it was a group text it came through MMS. So I'm hit with a regular text charge and data. Not that that's a big deal but if anyone replies to the group message and they don't have their phone set to single sms for group replies, you end up getting another group text or multiples. Yes one person replied to them both...so far.

I know you can block numbers but blocking a robo/spam number is futile since they never or very rarely use the same number.

1) Will turning off the setting "Auto Download MMS" prevent "group" texts? Or just media texts ?
    2) Is there anyway to block any calls or texts from anyone not on your contact list ?
    3) Any settings I'm not seeing that would help ?

I'm using a MOTO E4 (xt1768) and native messaging and phone apps.

Thx

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'll start this thread since it likely applies to all phones and carriers. Maybe a better place for it but there's a good knowledge base in here.

Today was a first for me. I got 2 "group" robo/spam texts. 18 other phone numbers in each. Same text, different origin phone#. Since it was a group text it came through MMS. So I'm hit with a regular text charge and data. Not that that's a big deal but if anyone replies to the group message and they don't have their phone set to single sms for group replies, you end up getting another group text or multiples. Yes one person replied to them both...so far.

I know you can block numbers but blocking a robo/spam number is futile since they never or very rarely use the same number.

1) Will turning off the setting "Auto Download MMS" prevent "group" texts? Or just media texts ?
    2) Is there anyway to block any calls or texts from anyone not on your contact list ?
    3) Any settings I'm not seeing that would help ?

I'm using a MOTO E4 (xt1768) and native messaging and phone apps.

Thx
    You can disable mms to stop the mms ones. But to stop the normal texts ones you’ll also need to disable sms altogether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    You can disable mms to stop the mms ones. But to stop the normal texts ones you’ll also need to disable sms altogether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you just turn off MMS other then turning off Auto Download MMS ? And will turning that off stop "group" texts ?

And if it's disabled will I still get a message notice...just nothing in it. I recall I had a phone, I think an LG where it was off but I still got a notice with who it was from but no actual message. but would allow me to turn on MMS to receive the actual message. (or maybe I had to turn data on, I don't recall) On my E4 I don't need data on to receive MMS.

I can live with getting spam SMS but the Group MMS ones are the real pain because of getting group replies from people and complications from that. (Never ending)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >How do you just turn off MMS other then turning off Auto Download MMS ? And will turning that off stop "group" texts ?

No. You still get the MMS header, just not its contents. Turning off MMS auto-download only saves you data (from downloading the MMS content); it doesn't block MMS.

You're using the default messaging app. 3rd-party apps have more features, eg block/blacklist/whitelist function. Note that any blocking function only blocks spam from appearing in your msg app. The spam will still count against your text limit, if you have one.

http://google.com/search?q=message+block+app+android

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm just curious...Are other HoFo members also receiving SPAM group texts (MMS)?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can't say that I've ever had actual spam arrive via MMS, but I do have a dufus relative who annually sends out invitations to things using group messaging, which then encourages everyone on the message list to reply (which everyone receives) and nick a big chunk off my PPC balance.

Haven't these people ever heard of email?

But for rpz1, that's a rough predicament. No good way to block it other than what e.mote describes, according to what I understand.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well for now I just turned off the Auto Download. Rarely does someone I know send a picture text and if they do I can tell them I don't have MMS turned on. At least at a minimum, as the spammer's up their game, I won't get a data hit for a media file from them.
    If you think about it, with the vast majority of people having MMS download active, spamming could reach a whole new level by eating your data. I'm PayGo, so it really gets my attention.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, that could become a big issue!

As an aside, it's interesting that the stock Messages (by Google) app doesn't have an option to only include messages from contacts.

Another oddity is that if I do a Google search for "Google Messages Spam Blocking", I get articles about "Android Messages", but none about Messages (by Google), which is the actual name of the app by Google from https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aging&hl=en_US.

Not only that, I don't even see an app called "Android Messages" in the Play Store.

Maybe I'm just missing something?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The android messages app is named “Messages” with blue icon.

If you disable MMS or cellular-data, you will may get group text messages delivered anyway - somehow they sneak through on xfinity mobile - maybe on wifi. recently i have two phones on the same thread, one veriz prepaid iphone SE and the other xfinity mobile samsung s8 with the loathsome bixby & bixby button.

on most phones you can set your group-message replies to be 'mass text' aka many SMSes - then you may send perplexing individual SMS replies such as “please delete me from the group message thread”.

it seems to me that the behavior in this area of 'sms/mms messaging when cell-data off or MMS supposedly disable or when on wifi' has been changing over time in both the native xfinity messages app which is rarely updated, as well as the android/google 'messages' app which seems to be updated more often. Also the OS integrates arbitrarily and/or buggily with whatever messaging app, so each different phone and os rev can behave differently with the same app. Could some of the changes be related to these group-message issues and/or designed to make customers migrate to RCS messaging since it is supported under the 'messaging' app somewhere/somehow now?
    Last edited by bald2718281828; 06-01-2019 at 05:31 AM. Reason: .

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Messages was Android Messages when it first rolled out a few years ago.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Messages was Android Messages when it first rolled out a few years ago.
    Ah, okay. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I received a mms with 18 other numbers this week . I was so mad that I blocked all 18 numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oddly enough I read this thread yesterday morning and yesterday afternoon I got one of these lewd group messages on my Google Voice number it didn't seem to even come from a real number - reported it as spam and blocked it so we'll see.