Thread: A Quick Review of WiFi on Air Canada

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post A Quick Review of WiFi on Air Canada

There's one more thing that I forgot to share from my trip to Japan last month: this Speedtest.net result from Air Canada's in-flight WiFi. Though the numbers aren't great it was perfectly usable for WhatsApp messaging and background photo uploads. Of course, there's a bit more to the story than that.

Our final leg from Vancouver to Toronto was on AC104, a Boeing 777-333ER (call sign C-FKAU for any hardcore avgeeks reading this) and was my first experience using mobile Internet in the sky. I wouldn't normally pay for the privilege, but thanks to a credit card perk I had a bunch of credits from Gogo. Something worth noting is that you can connect two devices simultaneously from the same Gogo login—you'll just use up two credits when you do.

So that's the good news. The bad news was that the in-flight WiFi—which seemed to be a recent upgrade to this particular aircraft—wreaked havoc on the IFE. The movie I was watching had several buffering issues, with the screen freezing up altogether for several seconds at a time. Even worse was this:

Name:  interference.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  28.7 KB

Shortly after takeoff I tried to capture an airborne shot of downtown Vancouver, but the photo was ruined by the banding you see above. I've seen something similar in YouTube videos, where the frequency of cabin lighting doesn't match the frame rate of video capture, but have never seen the issue with a still photo until now. I can't help but think it was due to the in-flight WiFi—OnePlus cameras are bad, but not this bad.

Hopefully Air Canada will have this sorted out and give you a better experience when you're ready to fly with them!
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    The banding might befrom the newly introduced LED lighting? I never encountered this banding in my flights, and I have been in flights with WiFi.

I usually put my phone against the window when I take pictures in flight.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The banding might befrom the newly introduced LED lighting?
    The mood lighting, you mean? As in the fake sunrise/sunset effect? Don't think that it was on at the time but that could have been it. I've likewise never had this banding issue in the air, and other photos from the same flight look fine. Weird.