Thread: How much is too much?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

How much is too much?

I jumped on the eBay Tracfone deal with 1200/1200/3g. I have yet to apply it to my account for concern that it may trigger suspicion about a “too high” balance.

My phone usage is light,but it is lumpy, so I like a hefty balance. I have been careful over the many years that I have used Tracfone to add time in such a way that I get the most value for my money...always searching for bonus codes, etc.

Since the card is good for one year I am thinking about waiting a couple of months before adding to my phone to let my balances go down. I like to keep a hefty balance on my phone...cause hey, you never know. I just don’t want to trigger a clawback.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tend to buy airtime when I see a good deal. Attached is my balances and monthly usage. I did mysteriously lose 1500 texts and 1150MB in May 2015, but it's been OK since. Knock on wood.

Name:  Tracfone-Usage-Main-Phone-2.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  79.0 KB

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I like to have about 500-800 minutes (but my time is out 17 years). I think that is plenty to have in reserve. But I always have a couple of cards on hand in case of a disaster. I also bought one of those deals but may sit in it a while.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks HPHAM. I also buy when I see a good deal. Looking at your balances I think I will be okay. None of my buckets will exceed 10000 even when I add the new card.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    Looking at your balances I think I will be okay. None of my buckets will exceed 10000 even when I add the new card.
    Before 2017, I used more data because I still had a plane and used data to check weather while at my hangar or at fuel stops. Nowadays, I don't use much. Also, a few months ago I signed up with FreeUp Mobile and they give 1000 free units (talk/text) per month. So my Tracfone usage went down too.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I believe the fraud squad also takes into consideration whether purchases are being made regularly.

Purchases are the holy grail because they are made at current market rates.

If you have a hoard of cheap airtime, that is a loss for Tracfone.

That is probably why they aren't so generous with one-bucket to three-bucket transfers like they used to be. And TMFL bye-bye.

Although mobile rates have probably actually gone down.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lisme, having a high balance is something of a two way street. The only reason that I am still a Tracfone customer is the high balance that I had a few years ago when I discovered how switching to a smartphone changed my coverage area and left me in a risky situation when traveling. It lead me to HoFo and learning which Tracfone smartphone I needed to have adequate coverage. HG

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Minute balances I have are in the 3M range on most of my phones. The problem I have is the expiration date on the loved one's phone is so far out that CSR chat AND corporate refuse to transfer the expiration to another phone. Wife's phone is a motoE2 2nd gen with a non-replaceable battery, and of course, a standard sim (unable to swap to a newer/different AT&T phone.) Suggestions??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Minute balances I have are in the 3M range on most of my phones. The problem I have is the expiration date on the loved one's phone is so far out that CSR chat AND corporate refuse to transfer the expiration to another phone. Wife's phone is a motoE2 2nd gen with a non-replaceable battery, and of course, a standard sim (unable to swap to a newer/different AT&T phone.) Suggestions??
    Try searching for micro SIM phones with the Phone Finder:

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

There are a lot, but the few I checked were all dual SIM phones. That might be good enough.

Otherwise, you could risk a SIM cutter to cut it down to nano size.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The problem I have is the expiration date on the loved one's phone is so far out that CSR chat AND corporate refuse to transfer the expiration to another phone. Wife's phone is a motoE2 2nd gen with a non-replaceable battery, and of course, a standard sim (unable to swap to a newer/different AT&T phone.) Suggestions??
    You have a few options:
    - Use the online to do transactions involving the phone with lots of days. If all the phones/SIMs in a transfer/activation use the same carrier, the risk of things go wrong is low.
    - Cut the standard SIM to a smaller size.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Personally, I would use a sim cutter. The fraud squad might be reviewing transfers, since a CSR and Corporate both had issues. At least with a sim cutter, you have a fighting chance, even though there is a degree of difficulty and risk.

We do know that TF has a tendency to punish subscribers who have atypical credits.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Doesn`t that phone have the Micro size SIM? May make cutting easier, since your going down one size rather than two.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds like sim cutting is the consensus, yes it is a micro. I've located a couple more 1527's that might fit the bill if they're any good. Sim cutter on order, just in case.
    Last edited by gmannix; 06-03-2019 at 09:49 PM. Reason: mis-spelling