Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Freedompop "upgrading" free plan to paid plan - CHECK YOUR EMAIL!!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Freedompop "upgrading" free plan to paid plan - CHECK YOUR EMAIL!!

I couldn't find this posted already. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have several accounts with Freedompop as I have several devices and a sim card with them. I received this email today telling me they were going to upgrade my account from the free "basic" plan to the paid "pro" plan:

https://i.imgur.com/HeZc67B.png

I almost didn't read the email as the subject line was "!!!FREEDOMPOP NEWS!!!" and I figured it was yet another advertisement.

I went through all of my accounts and cancelled them. It's not worth the hassle if they're going to be automatically "upgrading" accounts, which I think is a pretty sh*tty thing to do and a new low for the company. I guess times are hard.

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Agree. I got the same notice. I've been holding onto a line with them, but it may be time to call it quits.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No notices here yet. I'll wait until they actually charge me anyways - I'm not a big believer in cutting one's **** off to spite some "doesn't give a ****" company LOL.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by goobe View Post
    I couldn't find this posted already. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have several accounts with Freedompop as I have several devices and a sim card with them. I received this email today telling me they were going to upgrade my account from the free "basic" plan to the paid "pro" plan:

https://i.imgur.com/HeZc67B.png

I almost didn't read the email as the subject line was "!!!FREEDOMPOP NEWS!!!" and I figured it was yet another advertisement.

I went through all of my accounts and cancelled them. It's not worth the hassle if they're going to be automatically "upgrading" accounts, which I think is a pretty sh*tty thing to do and a new low for the company. I guess times are hard.
    Thanks for the heads up. I have several FP free lines spread around the fambly, but don't check the email I used for them.

I did not receive the "upgrade" message yet.

For only 200 MB a month they are hardly worth the effort to keep them active by using at least 5 MB a month.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The picture shows 500MB of data, so for those getting this, do you have the Sprint plan or the AT&T SIM?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4s W10M, Alcatel Pop 4+
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop LTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    500MB means the OP has the Sprint plan. The image posted via link has a button to remain on on the free plan, so the user is only upgraded if one doesn't read the email and follow through on cancelling the upgrade. This is the "cost" of staying on a free plan. A Reddit user confirms that one can cancel the upgrade process in this post.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    500MB means the OP has the Sprint plan. The image posted via link has a button to remain on on the free plan, so the user is only upgraded if one doesn't read the email and follow through on cancelling the upgrade. This is the "cost" of staying on a free plan. A Reddit user confirms that one can cancel the upgrade process in this post.
    I have a 500 MB free Sprint plan, along with some free LTE (AT&T) lines. I did not get the "upgrade" message for any of them.

IIRC, there were some LTE (AT&T) plans that got 500 MB for a very limited signup period. These may be the ones they are going after. Or maybe they just haven't sent me the message yet.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    Yes I got the email for one of my lines and cancelled the "upgrade" successfully.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Or maybe they just haven't sent me the message yet.
    Once I saw the email I figured it might be just a matter of time before I ended up with more of those emails for my other accounts. If FP can profit enough with this initial "upgrade" of what might be one specific plan then I expect they'll try the same with other plans, especially with many people probably having accounts they rarely use or emails they rarely check.

I can't remember the last time I used the service on any device so it wasn't worth it to me to keep any accounts open.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the warning.

It's just like the ending of the FP Global SIM random announcements. I have yet to get any announcement about that, and my FP Global SIMs still work.

I also haven't gotten any notice about FP "upgrading" free plan to paid plan. But I'll certainly be watching!

Thanks again for the heads-up!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for reminding me. There is no way to downgrade for free, too. They require a $20 top-up to downgrade.

This is their way to cancel all the "free accounts."

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No emails here either across multiple Sprint and ATT LTE SIM accounts...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for the warning.

It's just like the ending of the FP Global SIM random announcements. I have yet to get any announcement about that, and my FP Global SIMs still work.

Wow, your Global sims still work?!! I thought they are all dead by now. I have to check if any of mine still connect...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    IIRC, there were some LTE (AT&T) plans that got 500 MB for a very limited signup period. These may be the ones they are going after. Or maybe they just haven't sent me the message yet.

Mine was for a Sprint account.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Typical. Their sister company, Unreal Mobile recently started extorting an extra $2.99 a month on my $10 a month lines. Be thankful you actually received an email - they didn’t even bother emailing me I just started seeing higher charges on my PayPal.
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast