Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Please elaborate.
    kevinK1 means that they're going to shut down CDMA, I guess? Does the F1 support VOLTE on band 4 & 13? You'll need those.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    kevinK1 means that they're going to shut down CDMA, I guess? Does the F1 support VOLTE on band 4 & 13? You'll need those.
    If you follow the link to the phone, the answers about Verizon state that voice is on CDMA, and there is no VoLTE. And since CDMA is to be shutdown at the end of the year (according to published plans), it wouldn't support voice anymore.

The phone is only $169, so it may be worth it for this time. But I wouldn't want someone to rush out and buy it for this use, expecting to get a couple years worth of Verizon network usage out of it. People sometimes miss the details not listed out in big print.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I ordered the A3 because $75 can pass under the radar as mad money more easily than $170 AND the description said ”Dual 4G VoLTE". Hopefully I'll leave enough saved for a OnePlus 6t by the end of the year if there is no Verizon VoLTE.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    i am reporting that I was able to get the Umdigi F1 to simultaneously connect to Verizon(Pageplus) on Sim1 and At&T(Freedompop) on sim2.

was able to direct phone and texts to the Verizon sim, data to the At&t sim

On the Verizon Sim, I enabled wifi prefered and the HD icon showed up. I don;t know if this is Volte but might be a positive development

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (but not for long)
    Feedback Score
    I tried using my dual sim phone that has Band 13 with Total Wireless (which is Tracfone Verizon) by SIM swapping from a Galaxy S7, but I cannot get it to work reliably. The same setup worked fine when I SIM swapped from US Mobile Super LTE (Verizon) from my Galaxy S7. I've tried changing the APN, which defaults to VZWINTERNET to TRACFONE.VZWENTP, and that got my data working. However, when I tried to make phone calls, I got an error message that said that my phone was not registered to the network.

Can you give any hints on how you got the SIM Swap from TF Verizon to work?

Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    I'd recommend a Umidigi for what you are trying to do. I bought a Umi F1 to use with Tracfone Verizon plus various Att sims. You set one or the other sims for data and can receive calls on both sims. I don't think you can activate a Verizon sim but I had no problem sim swapping from my tracfone. I expect you could do the same from Total.

With volt on it would not make or receive calls but worked fine for calls with volte turned off in network settings. If you were considering the iphones Umi makes some higher line phones too. My phone had a hardware problem but if you buy from amazon easy return.
    Make HowardForums a better place:
    Don't respond to users who post insults and personal attacks.
    Instead, block them:
    (click on their username, click "view profile", and click "add to ignore list")

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    On my Umidigi F1, there was no place for me to modify or add an Apn on Verizon. Have tried both sim slots.

On Sim2, was stuck at 2g although calls and texts worked. Sms and mms. I tried this first because I tried to install a microsd card in Sim1.

I currently have it in Sim1 and I have 4g and HD icons.

A wireless update got pushed to my phone. Will have to see if this changes anything regarding Sim1 and 2. Thus far, 1 effect is that on Sim1, it changed my service from 2g to 4g. HD icon does not disappear when placing a call.

Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    ...Thus far, 1 effect is that on Sim1, it changed my service from 2g to 4g. HD icon does not disappear when placing a call.
    HoFo mobile app
    I'd really like to know if VoLTE on Verizon is supported, so could you try the following:

1) Pull out / turn off the AT&T SIM for data access,
    2) Turn off Wi-Fi, then
    3) Make a call, and while in the call, try to use cellular data to surf a few web pages.

Assuming the HD icon stays lit, data should work. If so and the data work, that would confirm you are on Verizon VoLTE with the Umidigi F1.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I tested a few things on the F1 but seem to have run into a snag. While I can get my Page Plus sim working for voice and text(sms and mms), I can't seem to get data working.

I suspect that it might be due to not being able to edit the APN to go to Tracfone.vzentp. I never get an external ip address. The option to add or edit the APN is not available for the cdma sim. It's there for GSM sim though.

I'll try later with a redpocket sim. I believe by default those go to vzwireless.

Other than that, the HD icon remains on the screen if I place a call and have enhanced lte enabled.

When it's disabled, the icon goes away and when I place a call, the icon changes from 4g to 2g or 1x. The call still works though.

So do you think this is really volte? Or are they faking it somehow. I guess I won't be certain until I verify that lte data works.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Talk here seems to have gravitated towards the F1 but I got my A3 yesterday. Put in a TruPhone SIM, a Red Pocket CDMA SIM and a SD Card without consulting the manual and everything worked fine without furthur tweaking. I'm using TruPhone for incoming calls via Google voice and Red Pocket ($60/yr plan) for everything else. I use Hangouts over data for messaging. If I'm interpreting the status bar right it's telling me the Truphone is on 3G and the Redpocket is on 4G/VoLTE. I was able to surf the web while on a call.

Out of the box it displayed about 30% charged but it pretty quickly ran down to 20% and then cut out entirely. When I plugged it in it said 0%. Gave it a full charge on the overnight so hopefully I'll get a full day's use today.

So far (16 hrs in) I'm not unsatisfied. It's a lot more responsive than my Moto E5 Play which I would consider comprable. I like that it's not huge but it's surprisingly heavy. It came with a bumper case and a screen protector installed. I wish I had known because I had ordered a wallet-type case from Amazon .

Running around the city today using it as my primary. Tomorrow I plan to take it to the country (Hudson Valley) which will be the proof of the pudding for Verizon coverage without CDMA.

Still saving up for a "quality" dual SIM phone .

Sent from my A3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Is there any place for you to edit or add an APN for the red pocket sim?

Also which sim slots did you put your cards in. If you were able to get 2 sims and a microsd card connected, your phone is more advanced than the F1 which has a shared sim and microsd slot in Sim 1.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scrip_>^..^< View Post
    Talk here seems to have gravitated towards the F1 but I got my A3 yesterday. Put in a TruPhone SIM, a Red Pocket CDMA SIM and a SD Card without consulting the manual and everything worked fine without furthur tweaking. I'm using TruPhone for incoming calls via Google voice and Red Pocket ($60/yr plan) for everything else. I use Hangouts over data for messaging. If I'm interpreting the status bar right it's telling me the Truphone is on 3G and the Redpocket is on 4G/VoLTE. I was able to surf the web while on a call.

Out of the box it displayed about 30% charged but it pretty quickly ran down to 20% and then cut out entirely. When I plugged it in it said 0%. Gave it a full charge on the overnight so hopefully I'll get a full day's use today.

So far (16 hrs in) I'm not unsatisfied. It's a lot more responsive than my Moto E5 Play which I would consider comprable. I like that it's not huge but it's surprisingly heavy. It came with a bumper case and a screen protector installed. I wish I had known because I had ordered a wallet-type case from Amazon .

Running around the city today using it as my primary. Tomorrow I plan to take it to the country (Hudson Valley) which will be the proof of the pudding for Verizon coverage without CDMA.

Still saving up for a "quality" dual SIM phone .
    A phone with dual SIM card slots PLUS a dedicated microSD card slot for $64.99 is pretty amazing, especially if it really has Android Pie (see below).

If you take out the Truphone SIM, turn off WiFi, and place a call with your RP Vzw SIM, can you still use data i.e. navigate to web pages using a web browser?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924834226.html says the UMIDIGI A3 has Android 9.0. Is that true on your UMIDIGI A3?

Have you tried the cameras?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Is there any place for you to edit or add an APN for the red pocket sim?

Also which sim slots did you put your cards in. If you were able to get 2 sims and a microsd card connected, your phone is more advanced than the F1 which has a shared sim and microsd slot in Sim 1.
    It does have a triple slot tray. See https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_a3_overview.html and/or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924834226.html .

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think spec wise, the A3 is a little weak because it seems to only have 2/16 gigs ram/rom.

The thing that frustrates me about these phones is how many different models and variations get introduced potentially orphaning others. I want to make an investment in a decent phone that may last. I only took a flyer on the F1 because the price was decent and spec wise, the 4gb Ram and Helio P60 processor sounded better than just a budget cpu. I could be wrong though....

Can't beat the price though.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I think spec wise, the A3 is a little weak because it seems to only have 2/16 gigs ram/rom. The thing that frustrates me about these phones is how many different models and variations get introduced potentially orphaning others. I want to make an investment in a decent phone that may last.

Can't beat the price though.
    It's even stranger that the lower end models of Umidigi, and also some other brands, seem to have the triple card tray (2 SIM + dedicated microSD card slot), but often the higher end models don't.

I understand what you mean about the low-end specs. But after using a LG Phoenix 2 from March, 2017, to April, 2019, and then moving to a Moto E4 XT1768 in April, 2019, I would be surprised if I'd be disappointed with the performance of the UMIDIGI A3 at $64.99 ESPECIALLY if it really comes with Android 9.0 as advertised at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924834226.html !

Feedback Score
    >So do you think this is really volte? Or are they faking it somehow.

VoLTE per its name requires an LTE connection. Your phone has no VZW data, let alone LTE, so VoLTE (and HD Voice) isn't possible. The HD icon is fake.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast