Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >So do you think this is really volte? Or are they faking it somehow.

VoLTE per its name requires an LTE connection. Your phone has no VZW data, let alone LTE, so VoLTE (and HD Voice) isn't possible. The HD icon is fake.
    Yet somehow I am able to send and receive mms texts which require data.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Yet somehow I am able to send and receive mms texts which require data.

https://community.verizonwireless.co...on/td-p/573526

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VoLTE per its name requires an LTE connection. Your phone has no VZW data, let alone LTE, so VoLTE (and HD Voice) isn't possible. The HD icon is fake.
    IMS data profiles (which is what VoLTE relies on) is distinctly separate from other LTE data profiles. It’s possible to have an IMS profile for talk/text and not have one for other data traffic, or have one for regular LTE traffic but not one for IMS/VoLTE.

There is no standard direct means to add an IMS carrier profile in Android. It’s usually preconfigured in the OS firmware, or downloaded to the phone when a ‘new’ UICC/SIM is inserted. That is why VoLTE support is complicated on unlocked android devices.
    This is different than data APNs, where those can be added or modified directly presuming the carrier configuration allows for it.

There are cases one can add some IMS profile info on iOS devices, but typically those are on unsupported carriers and are YMMV.

That said, the only true way (other than official mention by Verizon) to determine if Verizon VoLTE is available is for the device to strictly be on LTE only. That won’t be possible until the end of the year.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Yet somehow I am able to send and receive mms texts which require data.

https://community.verizonwireless.co...on/td-p/573526
    Another oddity is that I can't receive or send mms when I toggle off the mobile data to just the Verizon sim.

Oh well, I have a hunch about what's goi g on but it's all idle speculation until I try that red pocket cdma sim. Will happen later tonight.

Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >It’s possible to have an IMS profile for talk/text and not have one for other data traffic

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think it changes the possibility of said phone having VZW VoLTE, however. F1 isn't certified for VZW network, and I know of no uncertified phones which have VoLTE on VZW. Offbrand Chinese products, and even branded ones, have been known to play fast and loose with the specs, and the presence of the "HD" icon doesn't prove much.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and Umidigi F1 will be the first uncertified phone to have "HD Voice" (A3 too?). Until that's proven true, I don't buy phones on wishful thinking.

>the only true way (other than official mention by Verizon) to determine if Verizon VoLTE is available is for the device to strictly be on LTE only. That won’t be possible until the end of the year.

The other fellow said he's trying out his A3 in an "LTE only" area, so that should be one data point. The concurrent voice/data test is another test. But by no means should you keep your Chinese phone until then in the hopes that it will definitively work.

>until I try that red pocket cdma sim. Will happen later tonight.

I'm surprised you're still tinkering with the phone rather than RMA'ing it. Chinese phones have good hardware specs, but lousy OS support, and are instant orphans. If you have a problem, it won't get fixed. So whatever you think of F1's "HD Voice" capability, the best way to fix your can't-edit-APN problem is to return it (and get another if you're so inclined.)

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    $64.99! Does that include shipping? I paid $75 ($80 with $5 off coupon) on Amazon and I only have Android 8.1! I wonder if I can get a price match Honestly, while Alibaba might have access to newer builds shipping from China, I wouldn't be surprised if they were stretching the truth about Android 9. From what little I've heard about Umidigi I'm not holding my breath waiting for an OS update.

* I was still able to use data while on a voice call with only the RP SIM loaded and no WiFi.

* I can add and edit APNs as usual with Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

* Android 8.1 not 9 installed

* The cameras are adequate. On the better side of what you'd expect for an entry-level phone but certainly not "flagship quality". Umidigi.com claims "Excellent Photo Quality" but "Excellent" is pretty subjective .

* I think that with 128GB built in Umidigi thought the SD slot was superfluous on the F1. The F1 has much better specs than the A3. It also costs twice as much.

* Check back with me in 120 days about durability but the A3 just might live up to its billing as an "Entry-level Beast". It blows the Moto E5 Play out of the water. I wouldn't recommend it as a power-user's primary phone but it would make a good backup and it is adequate for most typical users. Typical users include like 90% of the people walking around with the latest flagship phones so at less than $80 we're talking great value for money here.

* I'm squirrelling away my ducats in the hopes of a Black Friday deal on a One Plus or Pixel phone. If you're looking for a Vzw compatible phone you might even want to hold out until the whole VoLTE business is settled if you can.

Sent from my A3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On the plus side, the F1 did receive a wireless update over the weekend that is purported to fix a bunch of issues. There's hope that someone is listening to the issues.

I understand that the phone is not guaranteed or designed to work on Verizon. Taking a chance and pushing the envelope on what may be possible.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by scrip_>^..^< View Post
    $64.99! Does that include shipping? I paid $75 ($80 with $5 off coupon) on Amazon and I only have Android 8.1! I wonder if I can get a price match Honestly, while Alibaba might have access to newer builds shipping from China, I wouldn't be surprised if they were stretching the truth about Android 9. From what little I've heard about Umidigi I'm not holding my breath waiting for an OS update.

* I was still able to use data while on a voice call with only the RP SIM loaded and no WiFi.

* I can add and edit APNs as usual with Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

* Android 8.1 not 9 installed

* The cameras are adequate. On the better side of what you'd expect for an entry-level phone but certainly not "flagship quality". Umidigi.com claims "Excellent Photo Quality" but "Excellent" is pretty subjective .

* I think that with 128GB built in Umidigi thought the SD slot was superfluous on the F1. The F1 has much better specs than the A3. It also costs twice as much.

* Check back with me in 120 days about durability but the A3 just might live up to its billing as an "Entry-level Beast". It blows the Moto E5 Play out of the water. I wouldn't recommend it as a power-user's primary phone but it would make a good backup and it is adequate for most typical users. Typical users include like 90% of the people walking around with the latest flagship phones so at less than $80 we're talking great value for money here.

* I'm squirrelling away my ducats in the hopes of a Black Friday deal on a One Plus or Pixel phone. If you're looking for a Vzw compatible phone you might even want to hold out until the whole VoLTE business is settled if you can.

I didn't investigate about shipping. I just saw $69.99 with a $3 off and $2 off coupon displayed on the page I linked above.

Thanks so much for the info. Based on your test results, it really does seem like the UMIDIGI A3 is capable of Vzw VoLTE if you have an already activated Vzw SIM card. That's pretty amazing. It's too bad it doesn't have LTE bands 66 and 71 for better T-Mobile support.

I have pretty much given up on getting a "good" camera on a phone at the price I'm willing to pay, so as long as it works consistently, I guess I'll have to be willing to accept it.

I'm pretty much a cheapskate, and not only that, after using two $30 phones in a row for more than 2 years, it would be hard to imagine using a more expensive phone. But to have true dual SIM support, it might be worth upping the ante to get a dual SIM phone with a dedicated microSD card slot with pretty good LTE band support for $65, especially if it comes with Android Pie.

I might contact the UMIDIGI Official Store on AliExpress to see what they say about the Android 9 claim.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/408...75393ac50i6QFV has other UMIDIGI models available from the UMIDIGI Official Store on AliExpress.

The Global Version UMIDIGI A5 PRO Android 9.0 Octa Core 6.3' FHD+ Waterdrop 16MP Triple Camera 4150mAh 4GB RAM 4G Celular Smartphone at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...ts_146690507.0 looks interesting for $96.99 after coupon. It at least adds LTE band 66. It also claims Android 9 and a 16 MP f/1.8 Sony camera, and has dual SIM plus a dedicated microSD card slot.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm pretty much a cheapskate, and not only that, after using two $30 phones in a row for more than 2 years, it would be hard to imagine using a more expensive phone.
    I'm a cheapskate too but probably not quite in your class. I had a Galaxy S5 from 2014 to 2017 when it met a bad end and I remember how nice it was to have a phone where it didn't always seem like everything was a compromise. I'd be willing to pay $300 - $400 to get that feeling again. Last year's model is good enough. Already the little A3 is making me wish it had better battery life. I had to plug it into the power pack after less than 8 hours of moderate use. It falls short of other budget phones I've had (mostly Motos--E4, G4, G4 Play, E5 Play) in that department.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    More I read about the Umidigi phones, the more I think you get what you pay for. The A3 got some middling reviews.

That being said, the F1 and F1 play seem to be the best value at just around $200 and under. The 5150 mah battery is really good-been using t by e phone moderately all day long and at 75% after 10 hours. Actually accubattery reports it to be better. The P60 processor seems to be very decent too. GPS also works which is a big plus for me. Things reviewers have complained about have not showed up for me like low call volume, slow fingerprint scanner and camera.

If I can get the cdma figured out, that would be great.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There's also an A3 Pro that slots in between the A3 and the A5 Pro. I would have loved one of these a few years ago, but now that plans with data can be had for very reasonable rates I'm not as interested.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just FYI, got Verizon working on the F1. This may help other phones that gave similar symptoms - voice and text but no Internet and no way to add or edit the APN.

The answer was to phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
    Go to phone information and change preferred network from lte/umts to lte/cdma/umts

Edit: seems like my solution was either flaky or short lived. On the F1, it seems to have stopped connecting to Verizon for mobile data after half a day. It definitely was working though as I got a Verizon ip address(100.x.x.x). Research continues...

Edit 2 : mysteriously the apn menu showed up and was able to select pp/Tracfone.

Last edited by ShredFred; 06-27-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by scrip_>^..^< View Post
    Talk here seems to have gravitated towards the F1 but I got my A3 yesterday. Put in a TruPhone SIM, a Red Pocket CDMA SIM and a SD Card without consulting the manual and everything worked fine without furthur tweaking. I'm using TruPhone for incoming calls via Google voice and Red Pocket ($60/yr plan) for everything else. I use Hangouts over data for messaging. If I'm interpreting the status bar right it's telling me the Truphone is on 3G and the Redpocket is on 4G/VoLTE. I was able to surf the web while on a call.

Out of the box it displayed about 30% charged but it pretty quickly ran down to 20% and then cut out entirely. When I plugged it in it said 0%. Gave it a full charge on the overnight so hopefully I'll get a full day's use today.

So far (16 hrs in) I'm not unsatisfied. It's a lot more responsive than my Moto E5 Play which I would consider comprable. I like that it's not huge but it's surprisingly heavy. It came with a bumper case and a screen protector installed. I wish I had known because I had ordered a wallet-type case from Amazon .

Running around the city today using it as my primary. Tomorrow I plan to take it to the country (Hudson Valley) which will be the proof of the pudding for Verizon coverage without CDMA.

Still saving up for a "quality" dual SIM phone .

Did you also consider the UMIDIGI A5 PRO when you got your A3? If yes, what made you decide to go with the A3? Thanks!
    https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi..._overview.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...ts_146690507.0

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you also consider the UMIDIGI A5 PRO when you got your A3? If yes, what made you decide to go with the A3? Thanks!
    https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi..._overview.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...ts_146690507.0
    I'm trying to resist buying a UMIDIGI A5 PRO for $99.99 less any aliexpress coupons that I can get to work, or probably around $94.99. If it had NFC, resistance would be futile...I'd buy one now.

I bought a used BLU Vivo XI in January to play with. I was disappointed from the beginning, partly because it didn't have a dedicated microSD card slot like I thought it did...flawed research on my part...but mostly because it didn't get the promised Pie update, and the update that IS available would give it Vzw compatibility, but REMOVE the dual SIM capability, which is ridiculous, but it's out of my control. Luckily it was a cheap used purchase!

But I really like what I'm reading about the UMIDIGI A5 PRO. Resist...resist...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was doing some research on those phones too. I am pretty happy thus far with the F1 as it saved me from spending $249 plus on a Motorola G7 Power. The thing that I was most surprised about is how snappy the Helio P60 cpu seems to be. I've used a lot of underpowered phones and it could be the cpu, the 4gb Ram, os optimization or some combo of all 3 but performance is not bad for the price.

That being said the only thing that I would pause on is whether the p23 cpu will slow you down too much after a while. On Amazon, they have the Umidigi Power which has a better cpu I think(p35) for $139 less 5% discount and I think it has nfc. You lose the triple camera and 2 plus 1 sim slot but gain a bigger battery though. Either way, good to have choices.

Not too long ago, I was researching the dual sim Nokia 7.1 for $299 which didn't have Verizon bands . Glad I held off!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast