Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 24 Ghz and 28 GHz auction results finally in

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

24 Ghz and 28 GHz auction results finally in

Seems Verizon minimally participated in the 24 GHz auction mainly winning some spectrum in Ohio. Also seems to have gotten at least one of the two 425 MHz blocks of 28 GHz spectrum in every market that was auctioned. So they should pretty much have nationwide 28 GHz of at least 425 MHz and up to 850 MHz in many places. I wonder if their 24 GHz buys in Ohio is so they can do spectrum swap with T-Mobile who has a lot of 28 GHz mainly in Ohio. I can't see Verizon having spectrum for just one state.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Seems Verizon minimally participated in the 24 GHz auction mainly winning some spectrum in Ohio. Also seems to have gotten at least one of the two 425 MHz blocks of 28 GHz spectrum in every market that was auctioned. So they should pretty much have nationwide 28 GHz of at least 425 MHz and up to 850 MHz in many places. I wonder if their 24 GHz buys in Ohio is so they can do spectrum swap with T-Mobile who has a lot of 28 GHz mainly in Ohio. I can't see Verizon having spectrum for just one state.
    Did tmo end up with a nationwide chunk ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Did tmo end up with a nationwide chunk ?

On 24 GHz they seem to have gotten the most with at&t second. Of the 28 GHz areas up for bid it seems they got 1 block in most of them. Though I didn't count them. its more than few let's say that

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So nationwide 24GHZ nice

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    So nationwide 24GHZ nice

You have a specific area you're interested in?

https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/p...eports/results

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It seem the 3 biggest markets t-Mobile didn't get any 24 GHz in are in Ohio where Verizon did get some. So as I said I'm sure that was so they can do a spectrum swap

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This whole action based allocation system is flawed. It was necessary in the analog era, because receivers and base stations were not smart enough, but now, it a robust digital era, is just anacronic. Government like is because they get money for selling air, but we ended up with a lot of this air not being used. Not a good use of limited resources.
    CBRS all the spectrum, share it and be done! Not depending on a specific build up or specific bandwidth, all based on digitally sharing/allocation.
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...-radio-service

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    This whole action based allocation system is flawed. It was necessary in the analog era, because receivers and base stations were not smart enough, but now, it a robust digital era, is just anacronic. Government like is because they get money for selling air, but we ended up with a lot of this air not being used. Not a good use of limited resources.
    CBRS all the spectrum, share it and be done! Not depending on a specific build up or specific bandwidth, all based on digitally sharing/allocation.
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...-radio-service
    Yes I can see Verizon at&t and T-Mobile all trying to share 50 MHz of CBRS spectrum and that working out so well for customers. Also spectrum HAS to be used to the owners lose it. Carriers have no incentive not to use spectrum they paid billions for. As far as this auction not seeing what your issue is. Everyone is getting what they want.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If the government would not be gready, it could make all the 24 and 28 GHz spectrum free and shared. This theoretically would incetivise smaller companies to invest.
    Now we are limited to three cash cows that când afford to bid and then extract the money from their customers.
    Meanwhile the spectrum is used only sparsely.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    If the government would not be gready, it could make all the 24 and 28 GHz spectrum free and shared. This theoretically would incetivise smaller companies to invest.
    Now we are limited to three cash cows that când afford to bid and then extract the money from their customers.
    Meanwhile the spectrum is used only sparsely.
    That spectrum sold pretty cheap compared to other auctions. As far as 28 GHz the FCC only has 27% to sell anyway as other companies owned the other 73% Mainly Verizon. And not much spectrum in the top 100 markets was even available. I'm not sure who else would use this spectrum. Care to name anyone? As far as spectrum being used sparsely what is that based on? 24 GHz just literally got auctioned and no devices can even use it right now. Verizon is rolling out 5G on 28 GHz as we speaks and has for months. No offense but you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Where did AT&T come in at?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Where did AT&T come in at?

According to the report AT&T and T-Mobile got the majority of the available spectrum.

I am a little confused though as to why T-Mobile got so much. I’m assuming it’s just as a back up plan Incase the merger doesn’t go through. But if the merger does go through I wonder what happens to all spectrum they just bought.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    According to the report AT&T and T-Mobile got the majority of the available spectrum.

I am a little confused though as to why T-Mobile got so much. I’m assuming it’s just as a back up plan Incase the merger doesn’t go through. But if the merger does go through I wonder what happens to all spectrum they just bought.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    My guess would be kind of as a backup plan if sprint doesn't work out

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pretty sure it was a backup/BAU move, just like Sprint announcing test markets for its 5G network.

Since the DOJ seems adamant to retain a 4th national carrier, that purchased spectrum could end up being part of that support (but we don’t know for sure). This all presumes the merger happens. Doubts are high about this happening without a countersuit or involving the appellate courts.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mo has stated plans for a fixed wireless/home Internet service. mmWave can work good for that in urban areas with or without the Sprint deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast