Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TracFone voicemail options

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

TracFone voicemail options

I just upgraded my TracFone cell phone from a galaxy S5 to an S7. On the S5, there was a voicemail app that would give me an alert knowing there was a new voicemail available. On the S7, the voicemail app is visual voicemail, which doesn't seem to work. When I open it, and ask it to refresh, it tells me "we can't connect to visual voicemail at this time. Check your network connection and try again later." I'm guessing this is because you have to pay to use visual voicemail (which I'm not going to do)? Is there another app like the one that was on the S5 that isn't going to ask me to forward the calls to another number? Is there any way I can use visual voicemail without having to pay for it?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragile1976 View Post
    On the S7, the voicemail app is visual voicemail, which doesn't seem to work. When I open it, and ask it to refresh, it tells me "we can't connect to visual voicemail at this time. Check your network connection and try again later." I'm guessing this is because you have to pay to use visual voicemail (which I'm not going to do)?
    I think Visual Voice Mail needs Data on to work.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That is probably correct.

You could also try disabling the VVM app and see what happens. Maybe the phone will revert to old style notification. That is what I get with TF-Verizon on a Moto G6 which does not have a VMM app.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That is the way it works on my Samsung J7 Sky Pro.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just upgraded my TracFone cell phone from a galaxy S5 to an S7.
    Are these the TF branded S5 and S7 versions? Verizon branded versions have their own VVM app. Unlocked versions have no app, and VVM is accessed from within the phone dialer.

Not sure is the TF branded S5 was VVM capable, but the S7 would be. Data has to be on, and the feature toggled on in the app or dialer. You are looking for a location with a cassette symbol that looks like this O_O. VVM does not cost extra, except some options if you have a Verizon account. There is a data charge to download the message with it's audio file. It's not very much, and you save on call time compared to using Basic VM with the *86 menu system.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You could also try disabling the VVM app and see what happens. Maybe the phone will revert to old style notification. That is what I get with TF-Verizon on a Moto G6 which does not have a VMM app.
    Is your Moto G6 TF branded or carrier unlocked? Only carrier versions come with a separate app. Not sure why they do this, as stock Android has VVM built into the phone dialer.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is your Moto G6 TF branded or carrier unlocked? Only carrier versions come with a separate app. Not sure why they do this, as stock Android has VVM built into the phone dialer.
    My Moto G6 is the generic unlocked with no carrier or MVNO brand. There is a voicemail section in the phone dialer, but it isn't visual type that displays the speech as text. It does play the message without dialing *86.

The OP mentioned that they might prefer just the old style notification. I thought it might be worth a try disabling the VMM app to see if the VM notification would go old style.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are these the TF branded S5 and S7 versions? Verizon branded versions have their own VVM app. Unlocked versions have no app, and VVM is accessed from within the phone dialer.

Not sure is the TF branded S5 was VVM capable, but the S7 would be. Data has to be on, and the feature toggled on in the app or dialer. You are looking for a location with a cassette symbol that looks like this O_O. VVM does not cost extra, except some options if you have a Verizon account. There is a data charge to download the message with it's audio file. It's not very much, and you save on call time compared to using Basic VM with the *86 menu system.
    Yes, they are Verizon phones. Turning on data did work, thank you.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My Moto G6 is the generic unlocked with no carrier or MVNO brand. There is a voicemail section in the phone dialer, but it isn't visual type that displays the speech as text.
    Visual Voicemail is just the message list with buttons to play back controls.

Transcription is separate from VVM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, they are Verizon phones. Turning on data did work, thank you.
    I had the Verizon VVM app on my unlocked Moto G5 Plus for a while, and it seemed to work much like the the stock Android app built into the dialer. The app quit working with the OS upgrade to Oreo, and then allowed the stock dialer app to work.

Not sure if you can turn off VVM with the Verizon app. You can with the stock dialer app, and it reverts to the Basic VM *86 notifications. You always can use the Basic VM with VVM enabled. I took to VVM immediately after seeing how much easier it is to use. Hated going through messages in the Basic *86 menus!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Visual Voicemail is just the message list with buttons to play back controls.

Transcription is separate from VVM.
    Yes, transcription is an extra pay option only for Verizon customers.

Less need for it than with Basic VM because the messages stored on the phone can be easily played anytime. Not sure how long these are stored, but I have one that goes back to September.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not sure how long these are stored, but I have one that goes back to September.
    As far as I know forever. I currently have a message from Oct 2017. I've had older in the past. VVM just syncs whatever is on server.

On Verizon's server there's a max number of messages but not sure how many.

Not sure how that limit would apply to VVM on the phone, or if you switched carriers/phone numbers.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    On Verizon's server there's a max number of messages but not sure how many.

Not sure how that limit would apply to VVM on the phone, or if you switched carriers/phone numbers.
    You can store 20 messages on Verizon VM. iPhones using VVM get 40 for some reason.

Far easier to do message housecleaning with VVM. It will use a little more data, but likely less cost than using the *86 call system.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a similar question about my new Rebel 4 (Oreo 8.1.0). It has a "Voicemail" app, I don't know whose app it is, "App Info" only says "version 5.20.0.7", there's no author's credit to LG or anyone else. I think it came bundled on the phone like 1Weather and possibly a few others.

If I try to open it, it says that my data is off (as it usually is), and it quits.
    At the bottom of the dialer screen, under the keypad, there's a voicemail button. This also tries to open the app.
    When I get a VM notification, pressing it tries to open the app. After it quits (because my data is off), the VM notification is gone too. On my old phone, pressing the notification would dial *86. That's the behavior I want. Should I uninstall the app? I'm hesitant to do that because as I said, I don't know where it came from, if I ever wanted it back.

I've looked for settings. On the dialer, there's a "Call Settings" page and under that, a "Voicemail" setting page with items for Service=My Carrier, Setup=Voicemail Number:*86, Notification Sound, Sound with Vibration. Nothing about any apps.

If I try go to App Info for the Voicemail app and hit disable, it says "Turn off pre-installed app" with warnings as to why I shouldn't. If I do disable it, the button on the dialer now does nothing. Also I left a VM for myself from another phone and with the app disabled, I'm not getting notified at all? (Unless there's a time lag, but I've waited for 10 minutes.)

I don't get that many messages, but I don't want to waste data either.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VM requires you either "waste" data or voice minutes. Data $ cost would be less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast