Thread: Fido just forced my sister in law to vacate her old 6GB / $30 deal

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Angry Fido just forced my sister in law to vacate her old 6GB / $30 deal

I wasn't with her, but the sales rep apparently said she couldn't keep it. After the fact I asked her and it was at least insinuated during her in store sales rep discussion that even if she kept her own phone, or bought a new phone from elsewhere that she wasn't allowed to keep the plan PERIOD because the plan was old. That's an insane idea considering to that very moment, no one was calling from Fido to make her get rid of the plan until she stepped into a store looking for a new phone.

The store rep talked her into getting 10 GB for $100 (x2 because her husband has the same deal with a new phone as well). She doesn't need that much data really, and is now paying way more and has lost a kick ***, previously grandfathered in plan. I'm wondering if she has any recourse besides taking her new phone, and her husbands new phone back and cancelling a $200+ month contract within the return window, screwing them over in the process.

Feedback Score
    Unless the rep has a "come to ***** moment" & confesses I say your sis is SOL.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooky1977 View Post
    I wasn't with her, but the sales rep apparently said she couldn't keep it. After the fact I asked her and it was at least insinuated during her in store sales rep discussion that even if she kept her own phone, or bought a new phone from elsewhere that she wasn't allowed to keep the plan PERIOD because the plan was old. That's an insane idea considering to that very moment, no one was calling from Fido to make her get rid of the plan until she stepped into a store looking for a new phone.

The store rep talked her into getting 10 GB for $100 (x2 because her husband has the same deal with a new phone as well). She doesn't need that much data really, and is now paying way more and has lost a kick ***, previously grandfathered in plan. I'm wondering if she has any recourse besides taking her new phone, and her husbands new phone back and cancelling a $200+ month contract within the return window, screwing them over in the process.
    Your only recourse is really Small Claims Court. Although this was in-store, this is the reason why I record all my phone calls.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information everyone! I do appreciate you guys who chimed in. I just wish cell phone plans were a simpler concept in North America with less used car salesman feeling to the whole experience *sigh*

Feedback Score
    I don't know about Canada. But in the US avoidance of similar situations is a big reason a lot of us go the prepaid route.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    In Canada, a prepaid plan is likely to cost you more than the already arm-leg-testical costing of a monthly plan in most cases

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Your only recourse is really Small Claims Court. Although this was in-store, this is the reason why I record all my phone calls.
    On what grounds?

The rep is totally correct in that buying new hardware requires a plan change whether through Fido or a 3rd party vendor
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    @mooky1977 - Doesn’t Fido use GSM? I’m not familiar with current Fido but I’ve used Fido several years ago.

Why did your SIL have to go to a store? Couldn’t she just have transferred her SIM card to another phone?

At any rate, once the plan has been “upgraded”, it’s unlikely that she’ll be downgraded to her old plan. She can try calling CS.