Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Data Only Sim Options

Looking for something to fill in the gaps with an iPad when I'm away from wifi.

I'd prefer to buy a block of data that has to be used over the course of say a year or 6 months, like 'paygo' but all those types of plans seem to have UTT included which I have no need for and the phone # wouldn't work in a tablet anyway.

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Looking for something to fill in the gaps with an iPad when I'm away from wifi.

I'd prefer to buy a block of data that has to be used over the course of say a year or 6 months, like 'paygo' but all those types of plans seem to have UTT included which I have no need for and the phone # wouldn't work in a tablet anyway.

Thanks
    The cheapest I know of are the following, depending on your usage needs.

1GB/mo
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400
    5GB/mo
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6296211

They aren't on sale right now, but they have been on sale for $39.99 and $119.99, which works out to $3.33/mo and $10/mo, respectively, lots of times in the recent past.

Another option might be https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet, starting at 2GB/mo for $10/mo, especially if you might need to use LTE data in Canada or Mexico.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1, you use data for voip yourself right? I think I'd seen you post that and you find the freedom pop speeds enough to make that work problem free?

I was thinking about Unreal mobile also but there never seems to be anything on here about them. I like that with freedompop I can stop at a BestBuy and just grab a new one. Do I have to give them a CC/Bank card number?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1, you use data for voip yourself right? I think I'd seen you post that and you find the freedom pop speeds enough to make that work problem free?

I was thinking about Unreal mobile also but there never seems to be anything on here about them. I like that with freedompop I can stop at a BestBuy and just grab a new one. Do I have to give them a CC/Bank card number?
    Yes. I've used GV #s + Hangouts for all my cellular voice and messaging since March, 2017. (I also use my GV #s + Obi200 over WiFi at home).

Yes, FP AT&T LTE is very fast in my area and even works great while traveling in a car. I understand that some areas might have more congestion on AT&T, so I suppose it's YMMV.

I've actually also been supplementing my FP AT&T LTE data with a FP Sprint Supernova 655 Hotspot for the last several months. Even at FP Sprint throttled speeds, in my area, using a GV # + Hangouts works well for calls while stationary, but is not as good as FP AT&T LTE when traveling in a car.

You do NOT have to give FP a CC # for the two FP AT&T annual prepaid plans I linked from Best Buy above.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FP GSM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I second FP annual plans added bonus they don't have your billing info so they can't be shady. If you can wait for a sale BB routinely puts 1gb on sale for $35 and 5gb for $120.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you want a block of data to use over the course of a year, see the thread about TracFone prepaid 3GB/year for $50.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I'd seen that but there's all kinds of ifs and buts involved it seems - unfortunately.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks everyone - the FP AT&T sims seem to be the best way for me to go.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd seen that but there's all kinds of ifs and buts involved it seems - unfortunately.
    the only if is If you have the right ipad. Otherwise it seems pretty straightforward

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    That's probably the best suggestion IF offthegrid's iPad is one compatible with the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    It's only available in the Settings > Cellular Data section on iPads that support it. There's no listing on T-Mobile's site for it (the image on the very first post of this thread will show you what it looks like).

There's no official list (one of those things that fell through the cracks at T-Mobile), but it looks like anything newer than or including the iPad mini 3, and iPad Air 2, which would be:
    • Air 2 (2014)
    • 9.7" (2017)
    • 9.7" (2018)
    • 10.5" Air (the new one)
    • mini 3 (2014)
    • mini 4 (2015)
    • mini 5 (2019)
    • All iPad Pros

Not eligible:
    • Original
    • 2 (2011)
    • 3 (2012)
    • 4 (2012)
    • Air (2013)
    • mini (2012)
    • mini 2 (2013)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks everyone - the FP AT&T sims seem to be the best way for me to go.
    Even though that T-Mobile $10 for 5GB over 5 months seems like a great plan if you have an eligible iPad, the FP AT&T LTE annual prepaid plan is good, too, and AT&T’s coverage might be better than T-Mobile, depending on where you’re going to be using it.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Even though that T-Mobile $10 for 5GB over 5 months seems like a great plan if you have an eligible iPad, the FP AT&T LTE annual prepaid plan is good, too, and AT&T’s coverage might be better than T-Mobile, depending on where you’re going to be using it.
    The iPad would be eligible but from my experience and from reading the experiences of others - even in that thread, Tmobile is a mess with their data only plans and sims so I prefer to stay away from them altogether.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T has an iPad plan where you get 2GB of data spread out over 90 days for $25. There's other offerings, too.

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/pages/B-00T.jsp
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    AT&T has an iPad plan where you get 2GB of data spread out over 90 days for $25. There's other offerings, too.

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/pages/B-00T.jsp
    I've used that plan before. It's fine, but I'm currently using the FreedomPop 1 year 1GB/month SIM in an Android tablet. (I bought a couple of their 3-month and 12-month SIMs when they were in sale.) Essentially the same service but a little cheaper.

While the FreedomPop plan also includes "unlimited voice and data" those are VoIP/data based and only work with FP's messaging app installed. From the AT&T network standpoint it's really a data only service, so I didn't bother installing the FP app on the tablet. (If I need voice or messaging on the tablet, I'd rather use Google Voice anyway, since it offers more reliable quality and I can use that same phone number in multiple devices.)

Since my main phone service is with T-Mo, I like having devices on a different carrier for backup redundancy, rather than having all my communication eggs in one basket, so I specifically avoided T-Mo or its MVNOs for this device.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011